Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any good N64 RPG's?

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1337cshacker View Post
    " Two of the few upcoming RPGs for the Nintendo 64 made an appearance at Nintendo's Space World show this past weekend: Mother 3 and Super Mario RPG 2.

Mother 3, the latest in the Mother series ( Mother 2 was released in the U.S. for the SNES as EarthBound), has been in development for what seems like forever. Originally intended to be released for the constantly-delayed 64DD, Mother 3 was thought to have been cancelled to the 64DD situation, but has since changed to cart format. The game has hidden in the shadows for years, but details about it have finally surfaced.

Four main characters are known of at this point: Flint, his two sons Ryuka and Krause, and their dog Boney. The way you take control of them is interesting, and similar to Sonic Adventure: The game is split into 'chapters', in which you control a different character in each. The way you progress through the game and experience events is different with each of them. Similar to EarthBound, the story again deals with UFOs: A UFO appears near the town where Flint and his family lives, causing trouble. Flint decides to find out what's going on to protect the town and his family."

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/1999/530.html

Did "Mother 3" come out? Maybe that's what hes talking about?
    WTF are you talking about? I can't tell if your a spambot or a real person. That article was written 11 years ago. Don't you think that if Mother 3 ever came out on the N64 that we'd talk about it in this thread. The Mother series is epic.

And in case you're actually on the computer in 1999 in some strange time machine talking to us, then no, Mother 3 will never be released.

I feel like I just wasted this whole reply explaining you this
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    was there even many more rpg's released for the n64 in Japan? even if we opened the selection up to jp region i can't really think of any.
    Yes, there were a couple. They weren't well known in the West, presumably because of the language barrier, but they did exist.

Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 (Shiren the Wanderer 2) - Hardcore dungeon crawling, as you expect from the Mystery Dungeon series.

Zool: Majou Tsukai Densetsu - I really do not know much about this one. It's another Pokemon or Monster Rancher-ish thing, evidently.

Robot Ponkottsu 64: Nanatsu no Umi no Caramel - in the same franchise as the GBC Robopon game which did come out in the US. Pokemon-inspired stuff I believe.

Pokemon Stadium - the first one was Japan only; we got the second and third games as "1" and "2". Barely RPGs at best, but you could perhaps list them thanks to the combat.

PD Ultraman Battle Collection 64 - I don't think this is really a full RPG, but it has RPG-style battles at least... Pokemon Stadium inspired thing perhaps?

There actually were a bit over 80 Japan-exclusive N64 games, few of which have almost any visibility here, but some of which are definitely decent games. Only a couple (Sin & Punishment, Bangaioh) are actually expensive though, most are pretty cheap I think, if you can find them...

In Japan many genres that we don't consider RPGs get tossed in as partially "RPG" in listings too, so to mention some of those... I definitely don't consider these RPGs.

Hamster Monogatari 64 - raising sim/minigame title
    Wonder Project J2: Koruro no Mori no Josette - adventure game (raising sim)
    Super Robot Wars 64 - strategy game
    Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers (worldwide release) - first-person adventure game
    Yakōchū II: Satsujin Kōro - adventure game. Text novel style perhaps?

I've heard Aidyn Chronicles is an amazing game. Haven't played it myself, but have been wanting to.
    Aidyn Chronicles is pretty good if you get used to it, and I like the game a lot, but it does have some serious issues that can really affect fun. The framerate is poor. There is no resurrection, so save often because if a character dies they're gone forever (the function was probably removed because of a bug they couldn't fix). Save files can corrupt and be lost forever, so back up your save files and save to multiple files -- you do not want to have to play this up to 100 hour game again if you don't want to! The character art is pretty bad. And finally, the pace is slow and deliberate. Don't expect things to happen fast.

If you can get past those flaws, though, the game has a gigantic world for an N64 game, a pretty good, strategic battle system that is not just button-mashing, many PC RPG elements that are not often seen in console RPGs (which makes sense because it was done by an American team), real depth and complexity, a huge amount of stuff to do with a long quest, sidequests, and lots of places to find and explore, and more. I at least think the pluses outweigh the minuses, but I can definitely understand why it's such a love-or-hate game. Not everyone is going to like it... but it's definitely worth a try, because you might.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mobiusclimber's Avatar
    Up In Your Bitch Is Where You Might Find Me
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Depending on how loose your definition of an RPG is, Mega Man 64 and Shadow Man could also be considered RPGs (tho Action/Adventure is a more appropriate term for them). But if you're going to include those, might as well thrown in the two Castlevania games and the Japan-only Doreamon game. But since Zelda and Goemon have already been mentioned, screw it, might as well bring these up too.
    My DP Feedback Thread: Here!
    I Post On The Blog At RisingStuff.com

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Yes, there were a couple. They weren't well known in the West, presumably because of the language barrier, but they did exist.

Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 (Shiren the Wanderer 2) - Hardcore dungeon crawling, as you expect from the Mystery Dungeon series.

Zool: Majou Tsukai Densetsu - I really do not know much about this one. It's another Pokemon or Monster Rancher-ish thing, evidently.

Robot Ponkottsu 64: Nanatsu no Umi no Caramel - in the same franchise as the GBC Robopon game which did come out in the US. Pokemon-inspired stuff I believe.

Pokemon Stadium - the first one was Japan only; we got the second and third games as "1" and "2". Barely RPGs at best, but you could perhaps list them thanks to the combat.

PD Ultraman Battle Collection 64 - I don't think this is really a full RPG, but it has RPG-style battles at least... Pokemon Stadium inspired thing perhaps?

There actually were a bit over 80 Japan-exclusive N64 games, few of which have almost any visibility here, but some of which are definitely decent games. Only a couple (Sin & Punishment, Bangaioh) are actually expensive though, most are pretty cheap I think, if you can find them...

In Japan many genres that we don't consider RPGs get tossed in as partially "RPG" in listings too, so to mention some of those... I definitely don't consider these RPGs.

Hamster Monogatari 64 - raising sim/minigame title
    Wonder Project J2: Koruro no Mori no Josette - adventure game (raising sim)
    Super Robot Wars 64 - strategy game
    Shadowgate 64: Trials of the Four Towers (worldwide release) - first-person adventure game
    Yakōchū II: Satsujin Kōro - adventure game. Text novel style perhaps?
    There's also Onegai Monsters, which is another Pokemon wannabe, but it sucks and has a horrendous framerate so best left forgotten.

I can confirm firsthand that Yakouchuu II is a text novel. Mostly still pictures, a whole lot of text, and the occasional option to fork the story. That's about all there is to it. It may have a good story for all I know, but I wouldn't remotely call it an RPG. I'd agree with the rest of your "not an RPG" list too except for SRW64. Its gameplay is your typical strategy RPG a la Shining Force, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc. Everybody needs Wonder Project J2 even if it isn't an RPG, though. :P And of the other games, Fuurai no Shiren 2 is really good too.

I guess some people might call Custom Robo and Custom Robo V2 RPGs since they have very Pokemon-esque questing, but when you get down to battling, it's 100% action like in Virtual On.

Then there's Nushi Tsuri 64 and its sequel. I'm kind of torn on if I think the Legend of the River King games are RPGs. I definitely think they're more deserving of the title than Harvest Moon at least.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hybrid Heaven is sort of a RPG (a crazy one).

EDIT: just realized this was already posted. I think this thread already covers every N64 rpg (or rpg-like) game I know of.
    Last edited by eatenbygrues; 06-09-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) pepharytheworm's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some other partly rpg games.

Penny Racers, Racing sim/rpg hybrid.

Flying Dragon, Fighter sim/rpg hybrid.

Shadowgate 64, 1st person adventure game.
    Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Glover is an RPG. You play the role of a glove.

Also, Iggy's Reckin' Balls.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 06-09-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So are there any major 8-bit or later systems that had slimmer pickings for RPG fans than the N64? I guess the 3DO only had a couple like Lucienne's Quest and the dungeon crawlers Deathkeep and Slayer.

Any others with smaller RPG libraries than the N64?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Richter Belmount View Post
    final fantasy tech demo
    Not an N64 game, never was, never was going to be. Didn't you get the memo?
    http://lostlevels.org/200510/
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GobopopRevisited View Post
    Ogre Battle Saga Episode VI: Person of Lordly Caliber (Ogre Battle 64)

...the best RPG on N64. It plays out almost exactly like Episode V: March of the Black Queen, though there is odviously a lot more depth to the characters this time around. Awesome Background graphics too!
    This is the only good RPG on the N64.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.