Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Septerra Core (PC)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Septerra Core (PC)

Here’s a game I think everyone missed for this week. Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator for the PC is an awesome little game that snuck onto shelves back around 1999. Published by Interplay and made by Valkyrie Studios, Septerra Core is a rather polished real-time RPG that was never ported to any other platform. In fact, even when it was released, Septerra Core was virtually ignored by well…everyone. PC RPGs have always had a cult following, games like Ultima being the exception rather than the rule. Just as Fallout was missed by many and loved by diehards, Septerra Core escaped the notice of console gamers everywhere.

So what is it you ask? Well, Septerra Core is the story of a strange world consisting of seven distinct “shells”. Each shell rotates around a central core. Imagine if you will that inside the earth’s crust there was another set of continents, and between them, there was nothing but empty air. And below that next set is another and so on, all the way to the core. That’s what Septerra Core is like. Each level of the planet is settled by a different class of people. As the game starts out, you play Maya, a girl from Shell 2, which is a destitute lower class shell that lives off the scraps that fall from above from the other shells. The entire game is done in spoken dialogue, a rarity at the time, and the story is extremely elaborate. As the game progresses, you gain a party just like a console RPG and begin your adventure from Shell to Shell across the world of Septerra Core.

The battle system is kind of neat, and vaguely reminiscent of the attack bars from Final Fantasy III (VI for purists) for the SNES. Your characters and the enemies both charge power and once it reaches a certain point, can perform an attack. If you let your power continue to build though, you can also do stronger attacks, which are often the only way to seriously damage opponents. Both your characters and the enemies use guns as well as melee weapons, and conveniently, the guns are semi-organic and grow bullets, eliminating the need to purchase them. Handy, huh? Different weapons are more effective against certain enemies, as you might expect, and many of the other standards of RPGs hold as well, such as equipment menus, experience, and magic points, called “Core Energy”. Battling is very well streamlined and easy to pick up, and characters will abruptly jump directly into battles right from a story screen, with almost no load time.

Exploring towns is also pretty standard. Talking to townsfolk and other NPCs (non-player characters for those of you who don’t know) advances the storyline. If you use different characters to talk to people, most of them have different things to say as well. Often, people will only say important things to the right character, so pay attention! Ultimately, this is a great sci-fi RPG epic that virtually everyone missed. A genre that’s been very much ignored, the sci-fi RPG is very well done here by Valkyrie Studios, and sadly, never really got the attention it deserved. This is a game that honestly could have been the next Phantasy Star series if anyone had bothered to notice it, as it just oozes personality. Sadly it slipped almost directly into obscurity. I personally bought it when it came out, but I’ve only seen a handful of used copies in the wild ever. On eBay, you can buy a brand new copy of the game for about $3 + shipping. Be aware that there were two printings of the game, a big box version when it first came out, and a twin-pack bargain version that was double-packed with Shogo Mobile Armor Division and sold for $10. Most of the ones on eBay are the double-pack bargain version, but hey, the game still kicks ass. For under $5 + shipping, if you have a PC, go check it out!

Just so you know, I included pictures of the covers of both versions. That’s why there’s two cover pics!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yup, I have a legal copy of this game currently sitting at the bottom of my rack of "Play These Someday!" games, right below Thief I, Get Medieval, and No One Lives Forever. (I picked it up used at EB two years ago for about five bucks.)

Based on your rousing recommendation, I think I shall move it up the queue. I hope it does not squabble with modern hardware. The Patches Scroll reports that there is a 1.02 patch available.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, the complete install IS a whopping 593 megs for the WHOLE game, complete install, and it requires Direct X 4 I think. I just reinstalled it to check and it seems to work fine on Windows XP.

Oh yeah, and Get Medieval is an awesome concept but a shitty game due to REALLY heinous control issues and the lack of configurable controls.

And Thief: The Dark Project for PC (and Thief II: The Metal Age) is REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY good and you simply MUST play it. It'll probably be featured here one of these days.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Here’s a game I think everyone missed for this week.
    Not me!

My brother actually bought this game for his computer when it came out. Great game, and probably the only console-style RPG ever developed exclusively for the PC. His only complaint is that he didn't pick up the double pack version of it with Shogo (he's still looking for Shogo, I believe).

Off-topic-ish, some of those double packs are pretty good. I myself picked up the SimCity 2000/Streets Of SimCity combo for a mere 10 bones. Streets Of SimCity is actually a decent racer, which I don't think many people know about...hey, there's an idea...
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, and the game can still be found for 9.97 as a a dual-disc case with Shogo-an interesting FPS that used an earlier version of the Monolith engine....sadly, the on-line multiplayer is almost non-existant.

There is a patch available from Monolith's website that helps with some of the games glitches that occur on faster computers.

Definately a sleeper, but the anime-like feel and the interesting storyline--that combines Final Fantasy-esque with religion--not to mention the subtle humor make it one to look for.

I'd also say that everyone should get a copy of "The Curse of Monkey Island"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really, really not a PC gamer, but this game looks pretty damned cool. I'll have to keep an eye out for it, especially since It's an RPG....I do love my RPG's!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gapporin
    Great game, and probably the only console-style RPG ever developed exclusively for the PC.
    I think that it is. I can't say that I've EVER seen another console style RPG like this one for the PC. And Shogo is decent, but not nearly as good as Septerra Core I might even have a spare copy of Shogo lying around...bought a stack of em brand new for $.25 each a while back...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Hmm...this game got pretty low - or at least average - marks back in the day. I remember seeing it on shelves, but had read too many bad things about it. I remember reading some game design / business book once that really panned it, too...wasn't Crawford's "Art of," but something else. Can't remember the title - but the guy knew what he was talking about otherwise, and I'd assumed he had justly panned this one, too.

Maybe I'll give it a second glance and pick it up somewhere.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember reading about this game when it came out. It did get mediocre things said about it but it still looked cool and I think I may end up checking it out. I love PC RPGS. One of these days we gotta get Arcanum up for the Sleeper of the Week. Pretty damn good RPG although horribly unbalanced. It's all about Magic in that game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    Great game, and probably the only console-style RPG ever developed exclusively for the PC.
    I think that it is. I can't say that I've EVER seen another console style RPG like this one for the PC.
    Anachronox?

And Shogo is decent, but not nearly as good as Septerra Core I might even have a spare copy of Shogo lying around...bought a stack of em brand new for $.25 each a while back...
    So Shogo is an FPS? I thought it was another mecha strategy game. Or maybe I keep getting it confused with another game named Shogun that appeared in the double packs.

By the way, looks like the game was rereleased not so long ago, with yet another new box art. Definitely not an eBay price, though:
    http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/septerrapr.htm
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    I think that it is. I can't say that I've EVER seen another console style RPG like this one for the PC.
    Anachronox?

And Shogo is decent, but not nearly as good as Septerra Core I might even have a spare copy of Shogo lying around...bought a stack of em brand new for $.25 each a while back...
    So Shogo is an FPS? I thought it was another mecha strategy game. Or maybe I keep getting it confused with another game named Shogun that appeared in the double packs.

By the way, looks like the game was rereleased not so long ago, with yet another new box art. Definitely not an eBay price, though:
    http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/septerrapr.htm
    I remember when I bought Blood II: The Chosen, Shogo was one of the demos that came with it. It was really cool, it was mostly a mech based FPS and I remember a lot of explosions and death. I believe there was also a level where you had to get out of your mech and go on foot through some office building. So it's pretty much a mech/fps hybrid. Worth checking out.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember vaguely hearing about this game ages ago. Looks very very interesting. I'll have to pick it up sometime.

The organic gun thing is an awesome idea. Nicely creative way of solving the problem of having to find bullets.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Heh, I thought I was the only person who liked this game. :P

I gotta agree with Maxlords on it. I picked up the double game edition at Wal-Mart for $10 a couple years ago and once I got used to the game I enjoyed it. Normaly I hate PC RPG's, being more of a console nut when it comes to role playing games, but there are some exceptions -- the Fallout games, the Elder Scroll games such as Morrowind, Planescape: Torment, and this game.

And if you want to pick it up REALLY CHEAP, just snag a used copy here at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...426659-9363013

Really, can you knock those prices?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got this game bundled with something for $9. I still haven't played it because I have trouble getting into PC gaming for some reason. Not really sure why, though I guess if I could play all the games on a console style controller, it'd be easier for me.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Wow, that actually looks pretty interesting.

*adds to the list of "If I find it cheap i'll make sure to buy it" games*

I know some people said it got bad reviews, what exactly are the low points of the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think people were just expecting a PC style game, but it has a definite console feel to it.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by Xantan the Foul
    I think people were just expecting a PC style game, but it has a definite console feel to it.
    Well then hell, that moves me another step to buying the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a pretty cool game.

I found one on ebay for $3.99 and I think I'm gonna get it, I need more PC RPGs in my life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game was interesting in that it felt like a Western/Japanese hybrid but I didn't feel like playing past the demo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man picked this game up about 2-3 years ago... Fun as hell, Next to Sanitarium it is one of my favorite PC games. After 2/3 years i still havent beat it yet, one day i just get the urge to play it, and play it for 5 straight hrs and thats it for a while. Walmart had copies for 4.77 last i looked in my local store. I would recommend picking it up.
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman