Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Default CDi Discussion Thread

I've been looking into making a move on a CDi...maybe a 3DO but I'm thinking about the CDi first. I've found some models on the net but I havent been able to find any info on these models...does anybody know the differences between these? Know where to find a good FAQ?
    CDi 670
    CDi 660
    CDi 615
    CDi 602
    CDi 470 mini
    CDi 450 and 550
    CDi 310 and 370
    CDi 220 Matchline
    CDi 210
    CDi 130

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm pretty sure we've got descriptions of all of these models.

http://www.digitpress.com/DP/cmf/search.cmf

HINT: click CD-i from the system list and "Non-Cartridge Items" from the sections list.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

www.icdia.org should have all of the answers to your CD-i questions.

EDIT: This is too bad... it looks like ICDIA is down. They had tons of info about all (or most) CD-i games, systems, accessories, etc.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I picked up a 220 model CDi and a few games about a year ago, and it has been my most played console (beating out the PS2) ever since.

I know many gamers are partial to the 3DO, but I'd suggest that the CDi has an awful lot to offer, maybe even more.

The games are really varied and diverse, and I've found the vast majority to be really affordable. Only a handful of really sought after titles command a high price, most are actually cheap and surprisingly high in quality.

The save/memory system is built-in, and works flawlessly. It invisibly saves your progress in most games, and it keeps high score tables for virtually every game that has a score, without ever pestering you with "save y/n" prompts. Seriously! I've never dealt with a better save system on any console.

The controller isn't bad, the 3-button version is much like a cheap Genesis gamepad. There is also a great trackerball controller that is perfect for "Breakout" type games, a lightgun, a mouse, and a cordless remote. They are all pretty easy to come by and work great, except maybe the quirky lightgun. Be sure to get a 3-button version, most CDi controllers only have 2 buttons, to get button 3 you have to push them both at once. (Most games don't even use the 3rd button, believe it or not.)

One of the reasons it really appealed to me was that it had ports of many of the big games from that gaming era, so you get a chance to play many games that were also big on teh 3DO or the Sega CD, often with much superior FMV. The versions of Dragon's Lair (I & II) and Space Ace are particularly superior to any other version I've played. The visuals on most CDi games are exceptional. Plus, you get console versions of games liek Defender of the Crown and Lords of the Rising Sun. How about Axis & Allies? Two versions of Clue?

There's no region lock-out, and it plays VCDs and CD+G stuff, You might have a music CD from the early '90's with a video encoded on it, I dug up a few after I got the CDi and finally got to watch them.

In addition to all the weird and varied games, you also get access to a plethora of weird and varied infotainment stuff. A few of them are really quite good, like Shark Alert or Titanic. That kind of stuff became irrelevant the minute the internet started, but the productioon values on these are really astounding.

That's really the trick - Philips had just gobs and gobs of money to throw at this project, and so they did. From the Nintendo-licensed games, to the adult titles (Strip Poker, anyone?), to the bazillion kid's games, they sure didn't know when to stop. So many odd games actually have sequels, you'll be surprised. (Was there ever anybody who actually wanted a sequel to Mystic Midway??)

In short, it's by far my favorite goofball system. It's given me hours and hours of entertainment already, and new games are never far away. For me, it bridges the gap between the Genesis?SNES and the PS/N64 revolutiuon nicely, and it gives me a chance to play a wide cross section of games that I otherwise wouldn't.

I highly reccommend the CDi. It's a terrific system, just absolutely bursting with surprises and oddities. Good luck!
    It's only a game if you PLAY it!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's my favorite CDi game review & info site, the Cdi Collective:
    http://www.cdi.randomvariable.net/

Enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    www.icdia.org should have all of the answers to your CD-i questions.

EDIT: This is too bad... it looks like ICDIA is down. They had tons of info about all (or most) CD-i games, systems, accessories, etc.
    actually you can see it at

http://web.archive.org/web/200402190...org/index.html

op, you need to check this site out, it will answer ever single question you could have about the worlds greatest system!!
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that everyone should buy one of my super-spiffy Sony portable CD-I's so that they can play Wand of Gamelon while camping or whatever...

Because I mean seriously....what could possibly be more important in life?

Now that all the other sources have dried up, they've been going briskly at $125 a pop BIN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by World Of Games
    http://web.archive.org/web/20040219040334/http://www.icdia.org/index.html

op, you need to check this site out, it will answer ever single question you could have about the worlds greatest system!!
    Wow!! Thanks! I printed the whole thing and put it in a 3-ring binder. Thats a lot of freakin' information! It's my new bathroom reader!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Always glad to be of service to a fellow Cd-I appreciater!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by puxley
    I picked up a 220 model CDi and a few games about a year ago, and it has been my most played console (beating out the PS2) ever since.

I know many gamers are partial to the 3DO, but I'd suggest that the CDi has an awful lot to offer, maybe even more.

The games are really varied and diverse, and I've found the vast majority to be really affordable. Only a handful of really sought after titles command a high price, most are actually cheap and surprisingly high in quality.

The save/memory system is built-in, and works flawlessly. It invisibly saves your progress in most games, and it keeps high score tables for virtually every game that has a score, without ever pestering you with "save y/n" prompts. Seriously! I've never dealt with a better save system on any console.

The controller isn't bad, the 3-button version is much like a cheap Genesis gamepad. There is also a great trackerball controller that is perfect for "Breakout" type games, a lightgun, a mouse, and a cordless remote. They are all pretty easy to come by and work great, except maybe the quirky lightgun. Be sure to get a 3-button version, most CDi controllers only have 2 buttons, to get button 3 you have to push them both at once. (Most games don't even use the 3rd button, believe it or not.)

One of the reasons it really appealed to me was that it had ports of many of the big games from that gaming era, so you get a chance to play many games that were also big on teh 3DO or the Sega CD, often with much superior FMV. The versions of Dragon's Lair (I & II) and Space Ace are particularly superior to any other version I've played. The visuals on most CDi games are exceptional. Plus, you get console versions of games liek Defender of the Crown and Lords of the Rising Sun. How about Axis & Allies? Two versions of Clue?

There's no region lock-out, and it plays VCDs and CD+G stuff, You might have a music CD from the early '90's with a video encoded on it, I dug up a few after I got the CDi and finally got to watch them.

In addition to all the weird and varied games, you also get access to a plethora of weird and varied infotainment stuff. A few of them are really quite good, like Shark Alert or Titanic. That kind of stuff became irrelevant the minute the internet started, but the productioon values on these are really astounding.

That's really the trick - Philips had just gobs and gobs of money to throw at this project, and so they did. From the Nintendo-licensed games, to the adult titles (Strip Poker, anyone?), to the bazillion kid's games, they sure didn't know when to stop. So many odd games actually have sequels, you'll be surprised. (Was there ever anybody who actually wanted a sequel to Mystic Midway??)

In short, it's by far my favorite goofball system. It's given me hours and hours of entertainment already, and new games are never far away. For me, it bridges the gap between the Genesis?SNES and the PS/N64 revolutiuon nicely, and it gives me a chance to play a wide cross section of games that I otherwise wouldn't.

I highly reccommend the CDi. It's a terrific system, just absolutely bursting with surprises and oddities. Good luck!
    Well said!!
    I wonder if anybody who feels differently is able to verse their opinion in such an educated manner?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goobah goobah.
    Thanks!

If you have any questions about CDi games, feel free to ask me. I've now got about 60-70 titles so far, and I've tried 'em all.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i have had a cdi player for about 4 years and at first i had a magnavox 510 or 520 then i sold it for the phillips 490 and thats the one i have had since

it has the digital video card built in and 3 times more memory for saving games then all the other modals and i have never had any problems with it.
    never underestimate the power of a video game player

Now your playing with power

Genesis does what Nintendon't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker
    Quote Originally Posted by puxley

Well said!!
    I wonder if anybody who feels differently is able to verse their opinion in such an educated manner?
    nobody should feel differently than that. puxley i commend you for such a great write up! seriously i have said this before and i will say it again. the cd-i was so far ahead of its time, it is by far the greatest system ever made! what do you get with todays stuff? sports and first person shooters. in my game store i own all i see is drones coming in every day saying do you have the new rainbow six or halo or socom or shut the hell up and buy something worth playing! zeldas adventure is beautiful! it might be hard but it is a great game none the less. how about games with moving anime? got em! games with live actors? yes! nintendo games? while super mario wacky worlds isnt complete the game is simply great! how about being the star of a game show? games like name that tune and jeopardy call out your actual name! (something i dont recall any of the other versions for any other system doing) dont want to play games? throw in a music cd or a video cd and be entertained with a great song or movie! been meaning to learn the guitar? no problem, want to plan a vacation to europe? you got it! people are talking about the chronicles of narnia coming out in the theaters soon so people can see it from book form for the first time, guess what, been there did that 10 years ago with cd-i! back in the day did you want to go online and surf the net? cd-i was there for you. it had so many things to offer yet got so little chance mostly because of its price but alot had to do with peoples igorance towards the system. i have spent a good half of my life studying the system, collecting everything (except that damn meaning of life commercial :/ ) that was ever available for the system and it needs to be appreciated. i still even stay in contact with pmpro and philips and they send me some goodies every now and then which leads me to a little treat for those of you interested in the great system. email my friend denise at cust01@pmpro.com and ask her for the $5 list. she will send you a list of some great cd-i games that are brand new factory sealed for only $5 bucks each!! shipping is not included but is only about $5 bucks per up to 10 titles. maybe a few of you with a system can experience some games and programs that you never did before and maybe gain a new respect for a great piece of history!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Wow! You guys really like your CD-i! I'm really going to have to get one of these.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah i guess i like it just a little bit