Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default What MMORPG's Are You Playing?

Thanks to everyone who recently posted in my thread about advice for a online game to try. After trying a couple either on free trials or only paying a few bucks for it, I finally started playing one yesterday that I was happy with.

EVE has been out for almost three years now, and last year they released a new updated version called EVE: Exodus. The brainchild of a small company in Iceland called CCP, it's a space based game with very good graphics, easy controls, a ton of things to do in the game and plenty of free form game play, and everyone is on the same server without any lag or other problems.

I'm playing the game right now through a 14 day free trial being offered by Gamespot at this link with no CC needed:

http://www.gamespot.com/promos/eveonline/index.html

The only downsize of the trial is that they only allow 800 people with trial accounts to be logged on at once (someone is taking a lesson from what happened to Blizzard, me thinks ). However, I've never had a problem logging on to the game server.

The monthly fee for the game is $10-15 a month, depending on how much you buy at once.

So, what online games are you currently playing? Besides EVE, I'm also playing FFXI a little still.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Although it's not really a MMORPG, I'm playing Phantasy Star Online on my Dreamcast right now through the free server. I was playing Ultima Online, but gave it up because it started to get boring.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    squidlike

I am currently playing WoW. I absolutely love it.

Previous to this, I played Anarchy Online. I love the game and plan on reactivating my account this summer to play it again for a few months.

I have also played Everquest, and never plan on going back to that game.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

City of Heroes. been playing since may on the pinnacle server. i just got my 2nd lvl 50 (the lvl max) recently.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm still leading a guild on WoW. (Archimonde Server) Although the game is nearing the point of pure tedium.

Guildwars is coming out in 2 weeks, which may be interesting. No monthly fee, and combat supposedly has a more "strategic" or tactical type of feel to it. IE: It will reward skilled and smart players. Sounds good on paper anyway...

City of Villians looks interesting if they make a FFA server.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WoW, and I am loving it, of course I have been playing since beta, but still play the hell out of it, I have tried others, but never really wasted more than a few days on em. DND online look spromising though
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

City of Heroes....well atleast trying....to much of everthing. any who i have two toons i play heavy with on pinnicle with djbeat. Kia Shuu (lv 35), and MRMetrosexual (lv 10). tried FFXI but i hated it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play FFXI, and am currently on a break from it because my lvl 67 bard was getting boring I just picked up a PSP though and am pleased with it very much just wish they had included a usb connector

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been playing Ultima Online for over 7 years now. Other MMOPRGs I've tried are level treadmill games, UO is a virtual world. There is so much to experience in UO it is staggering.

Plus, something big is apparently in the works for UO - possibly a long-overdue graphical upgrade. My UO fansite is available at the link below.

Ruffie

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EQ2 been playing since launch, getting an alt zerker going now.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

None. I really want to get into World of Warcraft, but the monthly fees usually keep me away from most MMORPG.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves elected president should on no account be allowed to have the job." ~Douglas Adams

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Meh, the fees are nothing, look at ti this way, you buy x amounht of games per month.. well wow is one of those games instead. Thats how I look at it. And I pay for mine and my wifes accounts.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Insert Coin (Level 0) TheHammerGod's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Matesamo
    PSN
    Matesamo

World of Warcraft all the way!

My character is Darg on the Mal'Ganis server. Message me if you see me around!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Still messing with Star Wars Galaxies.
    I am the reinforcements.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffie
    I've been playing Ultima Online for over 7 years now. Other MMOPRGs I've tried are level treadmill games, UO is a virtual world. There is so much to experience in UO it is staggering.

Plus, something big is apparently in the works for UO - possibly a long-overdue graphical upgrade. My UO fansite is available at the link below.

Ruffie

Well holy crap, the Admiral himself is a fellow collector and posts here! I forget when I stumbled onto your site, but it had to be back in 2000 when I was big into the THB guild on Great Lakes, and also a big time fisherman. I've always enjoyed reading your site as its been, for years, a unique source for the seas in UO.

And to stay on topic, I still play UO as well. I mainly only PvP anymore, as I got bored of PvM years ago. Going on 6 years for me in game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I started playing UO early 98' and quit around 2001, once they took out precasting and added all that trammel shit it went all downhill and I eventually quit. I only played for PvP, but I did have a char I rped with. No other MMO appeals to me except WW2O I checked out UO recently and now its just another carebear barbie land adventure bullshit with so many restrictions like all other MMOs now. How can they call their games rpg's....I've been watching Darkfall Online, that seems like it will be close to old school UO, but they all sound good, but at last minute a bunch of losers whine and they release some carebear game. bye

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not really playing any, but have active subs to WoW and Asheron's Call. Asheron's Call is the best MMORPG By far...too bad M$ Let it go to crap by letting it get overrun by corruptness (macroing/duping/etc) :[

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FFXI is my game of choice.

It's definitely not an MMO for casual gamers, like Diablo or WoW. And it also has kind of a steep learning curve. Pretty much for the hardcore bunch, despite the fact that it borrows its name from the most mainstream RPG franchise.

But once you get the swing of it, it's absolutely fantastic. The world is so humongous, and there's so much to do and get lost in. So much... STUFF. I love the dynamic that forces people to party to get ahead, for the most part. Teaches people different party roles, teaches cooperation, and is a natural catalyst for socializing.

Plus, you're not stuck in any one job. You can switch back and forth at any time so that you can find what's most fun, or play a bunch of different jobs at once if you're impatient.

Yeah, it takes a long time to get to the highest level, but shouldn't it? There are quite a few people that quit FFXI for WoW, played to the end pretty shortly, then came back to FFXI because they were satisfied too quickly.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Runescape as been the Only one I have been Playing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that MMORPG's usually end up boiling down to the same repetitive gameplay over and over. While that's fine with the twitch games of yesteryear, these days I expect something a little more. Particularly if I'm going to pay a regular subscription fee.

In the past I played Asheron's Call, EverQuest, and Anarchy Online. Actually, I jumped on that free 1-year subscription deal that AO was running in December. I played fairly steady for about a month and have played three times since. The last time was in the middle of February. Again, once you get past the first 10-15 levels of character advancement, things seem to go rapidly downhill. :/