Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soldier of Fortune - SNES

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Soldier of Fortune - SNES

Anyone know this game well? I just got it, and man it's fun. Smash TV meets Ikari Warriors. Really hard though. Very steep learning curve. Any advice? Best characters? Easier with 2 players?
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That would be the game otherwise known as The Chaos Engine on the Amiga and PC, by the legendary Bitmap Brothers.

I really ought to play that sometime; I hear it's spectacular.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I've actually played the Genesis version, though I doubt there's little difference from the SNES and Amiga versions as well. But from what little I've played of it, it's damn fun, and I imagine it's an absolute blast in two-player mode. The Scientist owns you all!
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Navvy's (*) always been my boy. Been a while since I played it, but I think I always teamed him up with the guy who had a healing power-up (Priest?(*)) - wade in dishing out meaty justice with the top weapons and then just pinch the CPU's power ups to regenerate.
    Learn the levels, figure out where all the hidden bits are and slowly work your way through. None of the puzzles are too tricky, it's pretty logical for the main part.
    I actually found it easier in 1-player - after a while you get to know what the computer drone will do, and can 'influence' him to do what you want (or occasionally draw the flak for you ). Of course it can be a proper blast with an equally-skilled partner, but you have to each be able to predict what the other will do in any given situation.

Simply amazing game, it's a toss-up between this and Speedball 2 as my overall favourite Bitmap's game.

(*) Bear in mind I'm on about Chaos Engine - i've got a vaague feeling that names might have been changed for SoF.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    ...but I think I always teamed him up with the guy who had a healing power-up (Priest?(*))
    (*) Bear in mind I'm on about Chaos Engine - i've got a vaague feeling that names might have been changed for SoF.
    Hmmmmmmm... so the Scientist was originally the Priest? Makes sense... can't have any holy references to offend the mainstream crowd. Console censorship is amazing, isn't it? :P

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, he was a Priest in the Amiga original.
    I've just checked my Mega Drive & SNES copies of Chaos Engine, and it's changed to the Scientist in both of those aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never played the Amiga version, but must say that I like the Genesis version of this one leagues better than the one. The whole thing just feels tighter somehow, and the game actually looks better with the weaker Genesis color pallette.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own it, and to be honest, I'm not a fan. Some of it just seems unfairly hard.

Some enemies move really quick, and by the time they show up on the screen, you may not even have time to blast them before they get to you. I wish the camera would've zoomed out more so you got fair warning, or at least have everything move a little slower.

I only made it to like the fourth level before gaming over after a few tries, and I haven't played it since.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would advise you to pick a slower character for your AI partner if you're playing in one-player. That way he won't steal all your power-ups, and the slower characters can take more of a licking, as well.

Also, the game is all about hit and run tactics. You have to take a few pot shots at the enemies and then move away from their shots. Try to progress slowly so that you won't get overwhelmed with enemies. Another thing to note is that you don't always want to shoot a node as soon as you see it. Sometimes shooting a node will close off alternate paths that can lead to powerups or an alternate exit.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alternate exit huh? I will have to investigate this. I agree with the Navi / Scientist combo above, it just requires patience. As for the game being too hard, it is playable, and I like a good challenge so I am content. You are right about the unfair part though, it seems like at some points the developers WANTED you to get hit. Oh well. It's great if you find it cheap, pick it up!
    #vbender

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got it for SNES, The Chaos Engine (PAL version/name)
    Only played it for 5 min. or so, didnt think it was anything special. Its not as good as Smash TV.
    Maybe if I play it more I will enjoy it more

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can find lots of info, maps, etc about Chaos Engine at this Bitmap Brothers site: http://www.gods-country.de

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    Only played it for 5 min. or so, didnt think it was anything special. Its not as good as Smash TV.

The pace of the game & strategy required is totally different to Smash TV, so that's really an irrelevant comparison.
    And you need a lot more than 5 minutes to properly appreciate it.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by jajaja

The pace of the game & strategy required is totally different to Smash TV, so that's really an irrelevant comparison.
    And you need a lot more than 5 minutes to properly appreciate it.
    What do you mean with irrelevant? The thread starter mentioned Smash TV, read please I know its not like Smash TV.
    I just said i liked smash TV better than The Chaos Engine because the thread starter mentioned Smash TV

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i LOOOOVE this game. it reminded me more of a steampunk version of gauntlet , and i think it would have made an interesting movie if done correctly. it would be really nice to see it show up again as a psp or home console game

also, who's played skeleton krew on the genesis? another tough, cool sleeper, in my lil' ol' opinion...

g.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

I'm bumping this because I've been thoroughly hooked to Soldiers of Fortune. For some reason, I like the Genesis version more than the SNES version, possibly because I think the Genesis version plays faster somehow. If that's not it, then I don't know why, but either one is a veritable blast to play. I haven't yet found a way to play the Amiga version yet, though, but I imagine it's not too different. The Scientist/Preacher is still my favorite of characters, and I tore ass with him and the Mercenary as my partner, getting all the way up to World 3-2 without dying!

A couple of questions, though:

1. What are those items on the field that look like cans? They don't add to my money... I'm sorry I can't provide an image, but does anyone know what I mean by the items that look like cans?

2. What benefit does Wisdom give you? The Gentleman and the Scientist has the advantage in this stat, so it's gotta be good for something...

Eh, I guess that's it for now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As I said before, it's been a looong time since I've properly played this, but does Wisdom maybe determine how smart the CPU drone is? Or is that a different stat (one of them certainly is).

I know what you mean by the cans aswell, but can't place what they're for right now. I'll try to dig it out over the weekend and have another blast.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's a full manual and a complete walkthrough for The Chaos Engine over at The Bitmap Brothers Tribute:
    http://www.gods-country.de -> Games -> Chaos Engine -> Manual

1.Food: It comes in tins and provides extra Stamina for anyone who eats it.
    2.WISDOM only applies to computer-controlled Characters as it determines their ability to play

BTW There's a Chaos Engine (Amiga version) competition over at Lemon Amiga until May 1st, if someone here is a crack in playing The Chaos Engine, feel free to join us...http://www.lemonamiga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1077

Cheers, kmtkn
    The Bitmap Brothers Tribute
    gods-country.de | bitmap-brothers.net

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is truly a fantastic game and I'm a huge fan of it. Brilliant structure, great challenge and tremendous replay value!

Here is a review I wrote last February:

http://www.epinions.com/content_172704566916

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Proclus
    This is truly a fantastic game and I'm a huge fan of it. Brilliant structure, great challenge and tremendous replay value!

Here is a review I wrote last February:

http://www.epinions.com/content_172704566916
    To the powers that be, if we do not have a review of soldier of fortune already, this is a prety good one, just needs a few screen shots!

-Chris
    #vbender