Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: The demise of Nintendo is almost upon us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    This is a continuation of my other thread - Is the games industry getting just a little too crowded?

I forsee something going down - And I think it may just be Nintendo this time!

The DS is unnecessary. It is a half-arsed attempt to advance, but doesn't seem to have actually made it...

In one hand, we have the GBA, in the other, the PSP. The DS is neither, but wants to desperately be both. And is failing miserably. Nintendo could have made a replacement for the GBA, but they didn't. They could have made a next gen console to rival the PSP, but they didn't. What we have is just an ugly mess - One which won't last in my eyes.

Until now, Nintendo have virtually ruled the handheld market since atari and Sega pulled out some time ago. Many have tried to take their crown, and many have failed - Until now, and it may just look like they will be mopping up their own blood.

They should have focused their efforts on making either a successor to the GBA or a dedicated next gen console. Not the DS.

And I fear that the new PlayStation and Xbox will finish them off for good too! Especially seeing as how the gaming theatre is getting a little crowded now...

History has taught us that when there are too many consoles - One has to drop out... And seeing as how Nintendo seem to be faltering at the moment... I think the PSP could be the one which deals the final blow to a company already down on it's knees...
    In all fairness, the DS is the next gen in handheld games from nintendo, the Wifi, the reto twist from the game and watch era and the quality of the games, its a natural progression, i dont have one but my GF and little girl both have one (DS lites) and i play it all the time!.

the psp is good.. But good for what? it plays games and videos, for its price and all the promises from sony. I'v played it quiet alot lately and its good, but its aimed at a different market than the DS, I'v seen all kinds of people all kinds of ages with DS's.

But for the PSP it's young boys and guys in there mid to late 20's, how many girls have PSP's?? and there too expensive for young kinds, were as nintendo still has the family/kids market.

Also Gemini-Phoenix, not to flame, but it's clear your a sony fan (which is cool) but if people go through your posts from day one, this is the type of post you come up with.. and its alittle far fetched, the PSP kills off Nintendo! errr Not today, NOT ever!

But hows about the big thing that CAN kill off Sony... the PS3! thats gunna be financial suicide. lets wait and see! (i'm trying to be neutral but its hard!)

They (sony) couldn't just stick to what it says on the tin, they had to turn the damn thing into a swiss army knife, People already have DVD players, people already have the internet, people already have a PC and photo albums. They (sony) should have gone hard after the xbox live service, and matched, if not beat it. But they've dropped the ball.

Nintendo always go the family route, to cover all the bases, and it works, why else are they still here, because theres a market and people want them, i have a ps2 and think its good, but i flat out refuse to pay the price for the ps3, it's going to be a marketing mess!.

Over 100 years old and still going strong.... NINTENDO! (I'm not a fan boy, i just an appreciation for the finer things in video gaming life!)

EDIT** I just noticed how old this thread is/was

Continue...
    Last edited by Predatorxs; 12-09-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, looks like his predictions didn't come true.
    "Tell her you want to slide a hot throbbing cartridge in her warm tight console port. And if it starts blinking and flashing to just slide it back out and blow on it a little."--Sothy

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking

Reading some of these threads with the benefit of hindsight is freaking hilarious

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yep, owned.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite experience of the last month has been reminiscing and laughing at former Nintendo/Revolution/Wii doomsayers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I wasn't sure they could do it, but Nintendo really made good on what they said. People who have never played videogames before are going crazy over the Wii. Old people are buying Wiis for themselves! Newspapers are having articles on "hot items for christmas" and they're going crazy over the Wii saying how neat it is, but no mention of PS3 or 360.

Nintendo really did grab the market of people who don't play games and got them playing. It's crazy

Insert Coin (Level 0) John_Madden's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Kiddy image or not, deserved or undeserved, N is in trouble, in big trouble. The GC goes very slowly the road of third party support of the N64; in the last DP Wire there were more than ten releases listed for the PS2 and Xbox, one (ONE!) for the GC. Looking at release lists in the last year, it gets slowly worse and worse. Sales figures for games, third party support, hardware sales, harsh economic facts tell us all one thing.The image problem is there, no matter as a result of the software or hardware sales or the cycle of both.

The DS lost already the race before it really began. I said it back then, and I say it again, the dual screen -- sold as "innovation" - - was a desperate reaction of N which realized that they cannot compete with the PSP. They looked for another market within the game industry, not for the traditional handheld market. Less power sold by PR as emphasizing gameplay and innovation mean in reality less sales. Gameplay and innovation is not restricted to the underpowered systems, they will come automatically to the most established hardware, and in doubt the more powerful system will win.

In one year there will be a 50/50 marketshare in the handheld industry between Sony and N at the expense of N. Sony 'matured' the handheld games which means more mature gamers will flock to the PSP; they will expand the demographics of gamers; a good portion will be the so far non-handheld gamers, Sony will win over new customers. The marketshare won't be a zero-sum game, but it will come at the cost of N who will loose a good portion of handheld-gamers.

All the hints given in interviews by Iwata and people from NOA about the "Revolution" indicate a very similar strategy. No competition for Sony and MS anymore, a less powerful system, innovation and gameplay comes first, we want to appeal to the hardcore gamers AND non-gamers. (if they manage that, they will be on the level of Aristotle.

It is basically the good-bye of N from the traditional console market for the next generation. For me that is clear for months now. N looks for another market in the game industry. They are not competitive anymore in the traditional market.

Sad, but reality. This isn't speculation, no fanboy babble, it is the writing on the wall.
    If you want to sell more games you need people to buy them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John_Madden View Post
    If you want to sell more games you need people to buy them.
    What's the point of resurrecting year+ old threads just to further argue with Lendelin on the same points? It'd be cool if you could keep that particular "discussion" to the one multi-paged beast already in progress, thanks.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix View Post
    This is a continuation of my other thread - Is the games industry getting just a little too crowded?

I forsee something going down - And I think it may just be Nintendo this time!

The DS is unnecessary. It is a half-arsed attempt to advance, but doesn't seem to have actually made it...

In one hand, we have the GBA, in the other, the PSP. The DS is neither, but wants to desperately be both. And is failing miserably. Nintendo could have made a replacement for the GBA, but they didn't. They could have made a next gen console to rival the PSP, but they didn't. What we have is just an ugly mess - One which won't last in my eyes.

Until now, Nintendo have virtually ruled the handheld market since atari and Sega pulled out some time ago. Many have tried to take their crown, and many have failed - Until now, and it may just look like they will be mopping up their own blood.

They should have focused their efforts on making either a successor to the GBA or a dedicated next gen console. Not the DS.

And I fear that the new PlayStation and Xbox will finish them off for good too! Especially seeing as how the gaming theatre is getting a little crowded now...

History has taught us that when there are too many consoles - One has to drop out... And seeing as how Nintendo seem to be faltering at the moment... I think the PSP could be the one which deals the final blow to a company already down on it's knees...

3 years later... wow how times have changed!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

... "demise" of Nintendo.

Yeah ... nobody's buying Wiis' and DS'es.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I remember seeing this topic and my opinion on it is still the same, Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I think I remember seeing this topic ages ago.

Anyway, my 2 cents on this: Nintendo isn't going anywhere. It's like Microsoft discontinuing all versions of Windows and telling everyone to switch to Linux; It just won't happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Overbite
    PSN
    MSX6800

I was gonna add my 2 cents but I guess I did a few years ago

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    NOPHIX
    PSN
    Nophix

Not to add fuel to a thread ressurrection, but here's my points being a nintendo fanboy.

DS- I have one. I think I've played it a total of 6 hours.... In a year and a half. I have good games, and I still dislike it that much. Actually, I wish I would have kept the GBA SP i had before it. I bought a PSP about a week or so ago, and will never look back to the DS. The PSP just does it RIGHT!

What's my biggest complaint about the DS? The damn STYLUS! It's ok for general navigating through menus, but SUCKS for gaming! It's so cumbersome! WTF were they thinking?

Nintendo as a whole- All I have to say is Wiiiiiii!!! I LOVE my Wii! Absolutely the best system I have ever played! Now, this is next-gen controls done right! And as for graphics, say what you want but with a good HDTV and component cables, this thing is amazing. No, it isn't a PS3 or 360, but it isn't far off. However, Nintendo never has been the realistic graphics company. they've always focused on the family gamers, which IMO has liongevity beyond the gears of War and Halo franchises.

Nintendo has classic, family friendly characters and games that will continue on a timeless tradition of wholesome entertainment.

Now, lets not forget the PS3's high price poiint and the rediculous failure rate of the 360.

Nintendo isn't going anywhere, they just need to re-think the handheld market.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

/end of teh thread. dead. buried. old newz.k thx bai.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ... "demise" of Nintendo.

Yeah ... nobody's buying Wiis' and DS'es.
    Ha, I remember I was at Best Buy the morning of the Wii launch to buy Zelda, (I bought my Wii somewhere else) and this guy in line was saying to everyone how Nintendo was done and finished and this is their last system blah blah blah. He kept saying he was gonna beat Zelda in a week and then sell it. I had a feeling he was wrong, not sure why, maybe because of the huge crowd that was there. I wonder what this guy thinks of Nintendo now lol.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Humble pie, served ala mode. Looks like some folks Magic 8-balls lied to them... should have said "Ask again later... much later. They're all gonna laugh at you! Trust me."

So, how's that "death" of Sony coming along? Never too soon to start another rumor of doom.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Strawberry (Level 2) Super Mario Fan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Humble pie, served ala mode. Looks like some folks Magic 8-balls lied to them... should have said "Ask again later... much later. They're all gonna laugh at you! Trust me."

So, how's that "death" of Sony coming along? Never too soon to start another rumor of doom.
    Oh. You didn't hear? The reason Sony is discontinuing their 80GB PS3, is because they're going bankrupt. At GDC tomorrow they're announcing that they are exiting the console business to focus on software for the Wii and DS.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Holy crap! It must be true. I mean, why post it if it isn't.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that the wii is a gimmick, (an extremely successful gimmick) and that the DS is excellent.

There isn't a single game for me on the Wii to date, (pretty much the same attitude towards the 64 and GC ((with a couple of exceptions of course)) but the DS has many games I have (and still do) enjoy.