Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: anyone heard of Game Collector?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They are talking about Ant Movie in that post Cirrus. And I just tried my older demo of GC, it doesnt work anymore (

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    Plus, mobygames.com is really better for the most part, so I usually add things (cut/paste) from them anyway.
    This was said on the GC site too but I just dont get it. I am continuously finding holes in Moby's game database. I mean often obvoius games not rares or imports. What they do have is ok, often missing a photo or complete release date. AGG almost always has the game.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I tried Game Collector, but I didn't think it was worth the 40 bucks, although I really think the export to HTML is HIGHLY convienient. For people who catalog with Excel, what type of fields do you use? Also, is there a feature in Excel where you can sort an entire column by the alphabet? (I.e. like sorting messages in Outlook) In addition has anyone gone as far as creating an Access Database? I'd really like some pointers on this! Thanks

-Chris
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    Plus, mobygames.com is really better for the most part, so I usually add things (cut/paste) from them anyway.
    This was said on the GC site too but I just dont get it. I am continuously finding holes in Moby's game database. I mean often obvoius games not rares or imports. What they do have is ok, often missing a photo or complete release date. AGG almost always has the game.
    Yeah, it misses games quite a bit (mobygames), but it 'always' has a description as long as it has the game, and the box shots they have are much bigger (try clicking one). On top of that, they usually have the screenshots too, which I put in GameCollector, after changing "back cover" to "screenshot".

AllGamesGuide has every game, but very often miss a description, or have a poor box cover image.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, has anyone had any luck with Ant Movie guide pulling info, or do we all get those same errors? If anyone has had any luck getting this to work, please speak up!

I need something badly to keep track of stuff

Brian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I've used game collector, its kind of a pain to add everything. For modern, current systems its a good one to use, but to be honest I use the DP guides for everything else. It is way easier to check mark the box then have to manually add everything to the gc program.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Any other Game Collector users that still like All Game Guide get this message?

"Through traffic monitoring of our websites we have identified your IP address accessing our website(s) at a rate and speed inconsistent with the noncommercial and personal use permitted by our site's Terms of Use. As a result, access to allmusic.com, allmovie.com and allgame.com has been denied.

If you feel you have been denied access in error, please contact All Media Guide at webaccess@allmediaguide.com. Please include your name, company, IP address (--.---.--.---), and technical contact, if applicable, in your response. Thank you."

I guess its Moby Games and Gamestats.com now for me. I'm not going to f-ing beg them to let me on.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gotten the message, but I thought it was me customzing a search bar in Opera. Oddly, if you hit reload a few times, the message disappears? It's continued to happen to me - I personally think it's quite annoying, so I tend to check other sites first now. Would prefer to not have to do so, but having 1/4 of my searches randomly blocked gets old... fast.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, you're right it does dissappear. Oh well its just too much of a pain as you said having half of your searches rejected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So I sent collectorz.com an e-mail stating that I was having a problem using All Game Guide as an infosource (I had not read this post or the one on the support forums). They sent me back an e-mail stating that I could fix the problem by downloading the newest upgrade!
    I said "Cool, my 40 dollars isn't wasted after all". After completing the donwload, I found that all it had done was take of the link for AGG and added one for Amazon JP.
    I don't think that fixed the problem as they claimed it would and I was annoyed to have been misled.
    On a positive note, the last post on the collectorz forum did mention digitalpress as a viable option to AGG if a deal could be reached. I hope it happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

EDIT: oops I posted in the wrong game collector topic

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I dunno if it's any interest to anyone, but since Game Collector is no longer using All Game Guide as a source, they are offering refunds to those who feel that their $40 is no longer justified since a major part of the program's functionality has been removed. They say that they are negotiating with a couple other sites, but I thought I'd make the refund thing known.

If you think our program has no value for you without the AMG functionality, please contact us by email at support@collectorz.com and we will refund your money or exchange your license into one for a different Collectorz.com product (your choice). However, this will mean that your license will be disabled and that you will not be allowed to use the program anymore.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler
    I tried Game Collector, but I didn't think it was worth the 40 bucks, although I really think the export to HTML is HIGHLY convienient. For people who catalog with Excel, what type of fields do you use? Also, is there a feature in Excel where you can sort an entire column by the alphabet? (I.e. like sorting messages in Outlook) In addition has anyone gone as far as creating an Access Database? I'd really like some pointers on this! Thanks

-Chris
    For my Excel db I use:
    Name of game
    System
    Company
    DP Rarity
    DP Price (which I usually don't fill in for some reason)
    Complete
    Comments
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uh Oh, looks like someone posted a link to Digitpress on the collectorz.com board.
    Systems owned: 2600, 5200, Lynx, Jaguar w/CD, Commodore 64, NES, SNES, N64 w/DrV64, Gamecube, GB, GBA SP, Game.com, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Turbo Grafx 16, Game Gear, Master System, Genesis w/32X and CD, JVC X'Eye, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    I dunno if it's any interest to anyone, but since Game Collector is no longer using All Game Guide as a source, they are offering refunds to those who feel that their $40 is no longer justified since a major part of the program's functionality has been removed. They say that they are negotiating with a couple other sites, but I thought I'd make the refund thing known.
    Well now that the deal has fallen through I can chime in and say my site was one that they were negotiating to use as a data source.

Seemed like everything was on the up-and-up and that we had worked out a licensing arrangement for VGR to be used as an external datasource when late in the negotiating they tossed me a curveball saying that they did not want to just license my database...they wanted to *own* an image of it.

The basic idea is that they want to internalize their system and have everything flow into and out of a central database....controlled by them It's a nice idea in theory, but I'll be darned if I am going to let them profit off of the hard work of my staff.

I would have been fine with them using VGR as an external datasource, hell we even wrote up the programming to interface VGR with GC, but they want too much for too little.

Meh. The real kicker is having a beta version of their software that includes VGR support and seeing that there could have been some real possibilities for a fruitful relationship.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RevQuixo
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Well now that the deal has fallen through I can chime in and say my site was one that they were negotiating to use as a data source.

Seemed like everything was on the up-and-up and that we had worked out a licensing arrangement for VGR to be used as an external datasource when late in the negotiating they tossed me a curveball saying that they did not want to just license my database...they wanted to *own* an image of it.

The basic idea is that they want to internalize their system and have everything flow into and out of a central database....controlled by them It's a nice idea in theory, but I'll be darned if I am going to let them profit off of the hard work of my staff.

I would have been fine with them using VGR as an external datasource, hell we even wrote up the programming to interface VGR with GC, but they want too much for too little.

Meh. The real kicker is having a beta version of their software that includes VGR support and seeing that there could have been some real possibilities for a fruitful relationship.
    Man that sucks. That would have been a good deal for all of us. They are starting to sound a bit greedy and selfish to me. At any rate they don't seem th have much business sense.