Thread: Another forgotten SNES game... TOP GEAR 3000. Check it out!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Another forgotten SNES game... TOP GEAR 3000. Check it out!

Some of you know my fascination with SNES games that have special processing chips actually built into the cartridge. The Genesis only had one comparable game… Virtua Racing. The SNES, on the other hand, was host to a bunch of games with a variety of different processing chips that helped the SNES move things along more speedily than its slow CPU could handle on its own.

Today’s game is TOP GEAR 3000, the third and final game for the SNES in the Top Gear series. Unlike the previous games Top Gear and Top Gear 2, Top Gear 3000 was set in the future and contained something special in the cartridge itself… the DSP2 chip.

DSP stands for Digital Signal Processor, and it was used in conjunction with the SNES hardware to produce more advanced 3-D effects, particularly when using the “mode 7” scaling and rotation effects. The original DSP chip was used in games like Super Mario Kart, Ballz, and even a launch title… PilotWings. Nintendo wasn’t stupid! Pilotwings was an impressive technological display for the fledgling SNES, and most consumers didn’t know there was an extra processor in there helping out with the graphics.

The DSP2 chip bumped the SNES processor clock speed from 3.8 Mhz all the way to 8 Mhz and was first used in F1 Race of Champions. It wasn’t installed in many other games… Top Gear 3000 was the only other domestic release to utilize it.

ANYWAY, Top Gear 3000 is a futuristic racer that uses the basic elements of the first two games in the series and infuses them with an F-Zero vibe and the ability to buy a bunch of add-ons for your car that you can purchase with funds from your winnings. It was developed by Gremlin Software (who have made over 70 games including Loaded and Reloaded for PSX, Body Harvest for N64, Zool for multiple platforms) and published by Kemco in 1994.

The game starts off with some tripe about an illegal intergalactic race that occurs ONCE A MILLENIUM… come on now. Who waits 1000 years between races? Silly, I tell you.

Your car select screen lets you alter the color of your car as well as add more powerful engines, turbos, tires, armor, the ability to jump, boosts, magnetic attraction to other cars, weapons, and a host of other things. Unfortunately, these additions do not change the appearance of your car.

Speaking of appearances… Top Gear 3000 looks weird. Almost all the action occurs in the lower ˝ of your screen, and the cars look wide a flat… a departure for the earlier games.

There’s actually a reason for this weird screen layout… the first two games were designed for two players, with both you and your competitor racing on a split screen. In fact, you can choose to race on only half the screen with a CPU car sharing the other. I choose full screen because it moves faster. The impressive thing is that this game supports up to FOUR players racing AT THE SAME TIME with a multiplayer adaptor. I’m not sure how four players affect the speed of the game, but the fact that they pulled it off at all is impressive.

This game moves FAST. Very fast. MUCH faster than either of the previous two Top Gear games, and faster than any other SNES racer than I have ever played. Granted, there’s not a lot of trackside detail. A few trees and bushes, some short buildings, some streetlights, maybe some floating globes. That’s about it. There are various backgrounds in the far distance that rotate as you move, but this game is not about detail. It’s about SPEED. This thing moves so fast on occasion that you just can’t help but crash. The extra processor is really pushing the SNES along!

Handling is pretty precise… buying tires really does help your performance. Unfortunately, the game moves so fast at times that control becomes impossible… you have to slow it down just to stay on the track. Otherwise, no complaints.

All of the add-ons that you purchase with race winnings make a difference, especially the turbos. You can warp for small distances and even make your car jump… a real benefit when you are trying to get past your opponents on the universally narrow tracks. The hard part is shuffling through your varied inventory of doodads whilst flying down the track at 550 kph.

Top Gear 3000 has some pretty fantastic music. In fact, you can get on the web and download some of the music and even listen to some re-mixes. This game’s music seems to have a small following! Very techno, very fast, very good for driving at breakneck speeds. This is no Dirt Trax FX!

While not the best racer on the SNES (that honor goes to F-Zero, dammit) Top Gear 3000 is a solid and fun game that will impress speed freaks with its blinding frame rate and catchy music. Plug it in and take it for a spin!

Unfortunately, Top Gear 3000 wasn’t produced in particularly large quantities and doesn’t show up that often.

It’s a mess when played on an emulator… SNES emulation is still sketchy, and the DSP2 chip confuses the hell out of even the most advanced emulator, though things continue to improve and it’s just a matter of time before we’ll be able to play this super-fast and ultimately satisfying racer on our PC’s.

THE ENTIRE TOP GEAR SERIES

Top Gear for SNES

Top Gear 2 for SNES

Top Gear 2 for Genesis

Top Gear Pocket for GBC (Japan only)

Top Gear Pocket 2 for GBC

Top Gear Rally for GBC

Top Gear Rally 2 for GBC

Top Gear GT Championship got GBA

Top Gear Rally for GBA

Top Gear Rally for N64

Top Gear Rally 2 for N64

Top Gear Hyperbike for N64

Top Gear Overdrive for N64

Top Gear Daredevel for PS2

Top Gear RPM Tuning for X-Box

And there you have it.

Cheers

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Top Gear 2 for SNES a lot when it first came out and enjoyed it very much. I need to get my hands on a copy of this game sometime.

By the way, nice review!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BigPapaHusker
    PSN
    BigPapaHusker

I loved the first one. I think I rented that baby more than 10 times. I just loved the music as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Too bad none of those games even approached the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I tried Top Gear 3000 when zsnes started to emulate it (the latest WIPs at http://www.ipherswipsite.com/ will emulate the game), and I thought it wasn't as good as Top Gear 2. I am certainly intreged about the 4 player mode, and I hope to eventually get the game and a multitap to try it out.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh and I forgot to mention that Top Gear Pocket and Top Gear Rally for the GBC are the same game. Top Gear Rally was the name for the US release.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gah, the newer games in the series can't hold a candle to the originals. The N64 versions were really medicore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames
    Oh and I forgot to mention that Top Gear Pocket and Top Gear Rally for the GBC are the same game. Top Gear Rally was the name for the US release.
    You are correct! Good call.

Seems like www.vgmuseum.com has a limit on linking to their pics, hence all the X's. Go to the website if you like to look at screenshots... they have loads of them for a lot of games on various systems! Prepare to get loads of pop-up, though.

I've tried the latest zsnes with Top Gear 3000, and it still doesn't run nearly as well as the console original. Someday....

Cheers

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good read, I wish there were more threads like this that go so indepth in description and include screenshots.

My favorite of the series was TopGear Rally for the N64. (go ahead and flame me I don't really care). Simply because of the memories I have of playing it more then anything, and I really liked how much detail you could put into painting your car.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the first one so much...didn't play the second, and wasn't a big fan of this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CreamSoda
    Good read, I wish there were more threads like this that go so indepth in description and include screenshots.
    I agree, I love reading these kind of topics. Very well done!
    3,582 games and counting! Pics of tons of stuff!
    Come visit and sign the guestbook:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v48/SimplyDave/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this game loose, but I have never played it. Don't even know where I got it from anymore. After that review I am going to have to slap it in when I get home from work today.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i enjoyed Top Gear 2 alot more than this version. Most likely my favorite 2 player racer ever, the only downfall is that if you start out poor its hard to catch up in terms uf parts and performance
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Killemall1057

All I know about this series is Top Geararedevil is one of the worst racing (if you can call it that) games i've ever played.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game brings back memories, my friend and I spent days at a time playing this game nonstop. I think it was one of the few racers on Snes that featured the two player co-op mode. We played this and part 2 all the time, along with our other favorites, Rock and Roll Racing and Biker Mice from Mars. Two other excellent racing games that feature the 2 player co-op mode.

Those were the days... nice thread. Thanks for the memories. Although I'm kicking myself in the ass now, because I sold all three of those games like a jackass along time ago, complete copies no less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Top Gear 3000 was my favorite of the series on the SNES, and so far, my favorite Top Gear overall. I liked the first Top Gear but the mandatory split screen bothered me. Top Gear 2 was a decent game, but it was plagued by bad control options. I own the SNES version and I might check out the Genesis one to see if the controls are better there.

I haven't played any of the N64 or GBC/GBA Top Gear games, but I'd like to check a few of them out.

Unfortunately, Top Gear Daredevil is the worst PS2 game I've ever played. The controls are awful, there's no sense of speed, and the main point of the game is to go around a city collecting coins in a set limit of time. No racing whatsoever. Lame.

And from what I've read so far, Top Gear RPM tuning isn't that good either. It's a shame that Kemco let the Top Gear series slide so far downhill.

Nice thread, fishsandwich. I'm a huge racing game fan and it was a good read. I was unaware that Top Gear 3000 has a DSP2 chip until now.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.