Thread: Mod for import dreamcast light gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Mod for import dreamcast light gun.

I just started here. I have been collecting older systems and games for about 2 years now. I have most of the systems out there. I have a question, I just got 2 import dreamcast light guns and need to know how to mod the system to use them. Any one out there know how to do a harware or software mod so they work on a us dreamcast?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont think its the gun i think its the software (You can use the "Sega" light gun on a US dreamcast playing the import HoTD

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumping this to the Technical section to improve the chances of finding the answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Hey, what guns do you have and from what region are they? Have you tried to use them yet?

I have one made by Hais and it has a kickback function that doesn't work because I don't have the original AC adaptor for it. I bought it in Korea and it works just fine as a lightgun, without the kickback, on "The Dead and the House" game.*

So, in short, I don't think you need to make any modification to use the gun itself.

If there is an AC adaptor issue then that's a different problem. When I'm ready to make an attempt at getting an AC adaptor to work with it, I will probably get one of those variable adaptors from Radio Shack and test each voltage/amp combo one by one until it works or I turn into a steaming electrified corpse with a lump of melted plastic bonded to my hand.

*On the front of the box there is some Engrish: "Play 'THE DEAD AND THE HOUSE' game and the other games"
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default RE: Japanese Dreamcast light guns.

Here is the problem. If I connect the japanese dreamcast light gun and put House of the Dead 2 in there is a black screen that comes up and says "This peripheral is not supported in North America".
    Now if I put in Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1 and start with the japanese ligh gun it plays Virtual Cop 2 fine.
    I can start House of the Dead 2 with a US controler or a US light gun and after you get to the main screen of the game switch the controller out with the japanese light gun it will now recognize it but only as a conroller and not as a light gun.
    I was wondering if a software mod might fix this problem and is it a problem with the other US light gun games for the dreamcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Try booting the game with a Utopia boot disc, and then try the gun.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Default Re: RE: Japanese Dreamcast light guns.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenH
    Here is the problem. If I connect the japanese dreamcast light gun and put House of the Dead 2 in there is a black screen that comes up and says "This peripheral is not supported in North America".
    Whoa. Sorry, then. Ya got me. Mine's a third party light gun, which is probably why this issue doesn't come up for me. Makes me glad I didn't seek out the real deal.

Like the last poster I would recommend trying it with a boot disc, either Utopia (which I've yet to find but try nosing around dcemulation.com) or the same type of disc one might use to play Shenmue II on a North American system.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am assuming that you have the official Japanese Dreamcast gun by Sega?

Unfortunately, my import house of the dead 2 is packed up in a box somewhere, so I can't answer your problem for certain.

However, if I remember correctly, you need to have an import HOD2 to use the Sega Japanese light gun. In fact, the only US game that the Jap gun will work properly with is Virtua Cop - HOD2, Death Crimson OX and Confidential Mission all will give you the same message. I think Virtua Cop works because it was programmed earlier? Not sure on that, but I pulled out my Jap light gun and only VC worked.

Putting in a boot disc doesn't solve the problem - I really think you have to have the Jap version of the game.

You might try over at dcemu and see if they know.

This is yet another of Sega's hardware missteps... release a gun game... refuse to put out a light gun... lock out the Jap light gun... geez.