Thread: Replacement XBOX AC Plug Question/Power Surge?

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Replacement XBOX AC Plug Question/Power Surge?

Replacement XBOX AC Plug Question/Power Surge.
    (large brick cord type)

LATE:Last night I hear a loud pop in my living room..."Oh No!!I thought........My wife tells me the lights slightly dipped(Power Surge) and that the pop noise came from over by my Xbox......."Oh No!!I thought again..
    I go over,"After reading an Article about why it would pop"..and try to turn on my Xbox with no luck ..I figured it was shot..
    I knew what the noise was after thinking about it but everything electrical here is on surge protectors.
    The TV and everything in the surge protector that that Xbox is plugged into didn't blow out/pop. Only the Replacement Xbox plug popped.
    So I unplug it,reset it and my Xbox is ok...But now I'm leaving it unplugged..
    I was going to take the Xbox apart and check the soldering too the board for the AC input.

Today :Before doing so I check my Son's Xbox that's near mine that also has Replacement plug and is on a surge protector...His Xbox didn't turn on as his Replacement plug popped too.

Now I'm stumped as they must of both popped at the same time last night..I unplug this one too and put it on a switch board.

Instead of me thinking my Xbox has a problem..Now I'm thinking it was just the power surge that caused this..(no big deal)
    Is that Possible..?
    Would these replacement plugs pop before anything else as nothing else went off and the power surge was slight.
    Whereas now I shouldn't go opening my Xbox for no reason ..and not be worried..

.................................................. ............................
    Coincidentally: I had read an Article about the Replacement XBOX AC Plug in Gamepro Magazine yesterday..(before this happened)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

It's certainly possible that both power cords died. I had something similar happen with my Gamecube. A power surge fried the A/C cord, and I had it plugged into a surge protector as well. Nothing else plugged into the surge protector was damaged.

Before you open either Xbox just try a new cord. If that turns out to be the problem, then it was a simple fix.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    gruffbear
    PSN
    gruffbear
    Steam
    gruffbear

The replacement Xbox cord has a GFCI built-in, like most newer bathrooms. If there's a surge or drop in power, it should pop off. It just needs to be reset to use again. The lights dipping was probably due to a drop in power, not a surge, so the surge suppressor wouldn't have done anything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by gamegirl79
    It's certainly possible that both power cords died. I had something similar happen with my Gamecube. A power surge fried the A/C cord, and I had it plugged into a surge protector as well. Nothing else plugged into the surge protector was damaged.

Before you open either Xbox just try a new cord. If that turns out to be the problem, then it was a simple fix.
    Thanks..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by l_lamb
    The replacement Xbox cord has a GFCI built-in, like most newer bathrooms. If there's a surge or drop in power, it should pop off. It just needs to be reset to use again. The lights dipping was probably due to a drop in power, not a surge, so the surge suppressor wouldn't have done anything.
    Thank You..thanks for the explanation..

Yes,resetting both plugs..one last night and the other today both systems are working fine..

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-whoops problems already fixed.. but this will fix it alot more and make sure your xbox stays stable-

Your PSU has gone.

Its easy to fix, two soldering joint on the bottom, the gfi was just a bigass coverup, just open it up and fix the two points (more info on www.xbox-scene.com , its the FoxLINK psu that is affected)

Hope that helps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by The_EniGma
    -whoops problems already fixed.. but this will fix it alot more and make sure your xbox stays stable-

Your PSU has gone.

Its easy to fix, two soldering joint on the bottom, the gfi was just a bigass coverup, just open it up and fix the two points (more info on www.xbox-scene.com , its the FoxLINK psu that is affected)

Hope that helps
    Thanks..