Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ignorance of Play.com / Resident Evil Chainsaw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The ignorance of Play.com / Resident Evil Chainsaw

I ordered a Resident Evil Chainsaw controller from Play.com about four weeks ago. After three weeks of the release date being put back countless times, I finally got it today...

I was not impressed.

The box it came in (The brown outer delivery box) said on the side "Contents 2". I was at first a bit baffled, but soon discovered that the box only contained one, plus some skanky packaging holding it in place...

It seems NubyTech ships these in boxes of two, so when they are sold, the box is opened and one sent per order. I was lucky to actually receive the original box, but other people may not have been so lucky...

As GAME and GameStation refuse to stock it (Individual managers decisions, so some may) - Online is the only place to buy it...

Anyway, my box arrived covered in brown packing tape where it had been blatently RESEALED, and upon opening, had score marks where some norbert had cut it with a knife...

I decided it would be a good idea to let Play.com know exactly how I felt, so I eMailed them the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    "Perhaps you should inform buyers that the package they receive will have "Contents 2" written on the side of the box, but will in fact only include one controller...

It is causing a lot of confusion about the web, as many people who have not yet opened it (For collection purposes) believe that there is in fact two inside...

By the way - What do you do with the second one which you remove from the package? I think people have the right (As many are in fact collector's) to know precisely what they will be receiving. They need to know that you desicrate the original seal and tamper with the product before resealing it.

I actually expected to receive the product inside it's original packing box INTACT, and then packaged in a larger box to ensure its condition. But alas it was not so.

The packaging box is an integral part of the collectability of this item, and has been seriously damaged. There was knife marks where it had previously been opened, as well as a mass of brown tape where you had resealed the product, amongst other things."

As you all know, I feel strongly about this sort of thing, and I hope they update their listing to display the required information, as many other people will have been expecting the controller to have had it's own individual box.

Whatever were NubyTech thinking? Why did they feel the need to ship them in packs of two?

Also, if I had ordered two, would I receive them individually, or in a box untouched? Had I known before, I would have ordered two... One to play, one to remain as a collector's piece...

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't get it? They come two to a box, with two smaller boxes inside? Or they are literally packed in sets of two and they removed one to sell you it?

If this isn't what I'm thinking, ignore the below:

Many games / systems are shipped in boxes of boxes of them. Some of the Lynx games that I got for the GOAT Store came in boxes of 4 boxes of 6, for a total of 24 games. Sometimes for international shipping when I can't use post-office provided boxes, I'll use these cardboard boxes to send games in because they are just the right size. These boxes may say something like, "Contents: Chip's Challenge - 24 Copies." I would hope that people receiving them wouldn't be angry to learn that Chip's Challenge may no even be in the box.

If this is the case, I don't think that you should be angry about the cardboard box being damaged. It isn't usually something that people collect anyway. I am lucky enough to have a couple Jaguar boxes that I'm actually holding onto, but it is the contents that I would be more worried about.

Now, if the controller itself doesn't have a box, that is weird... but that may be how they came? I have only seen one before I think, and it was in a GameStop and I don't think it had a box with it. If that's the case, you really shouldn't think of the cardboard shipping box as the replacement, as no store and Nuby themselves wouldn't want them sold that way. Is there any price indicator on the controller how it is?

Does anyone know how these were sold in stores?

Just a thought
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm wondering if the "Contents 2" means the actual shipping carton, not the game box. That would be like ordering a PS2 game, getting it in the shipping carton and wondering why there were not 4 copies in there, since that's what the box says.

Jason

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy
    I'm wondering if the "Contents 2" means the actual shipping carton, not the game box. That would be like ordering a PS2 game, getting it in the shipping carton and wondering why there were not 4 copies in there, since that's what the box says.

Jason
    That's the only conclusion I can make, but I don't think the original poster is that dumb.

Can you take pics to show us what you mean to clear up any confusion?

EDIT: This part cleared it all up for me -

"I actually expected to receive the product inside it's original packing box INTACT, and then packaged in a larger box to ensure its condition. But alas it was not so."

First of all, Play.com, nor any other company for that matter, gives a rats ASS about anal video game collectors.

Second of all, collector's don't give a shit about the packaging box, cept maybe overly anal ones that need to get out more.

Someone's priting this out and laughing at you, because yes, in fact, you are that dumb. Can't say I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt though!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

I don't understand. Did the controller come in it's own retail box? It sounds to me like the shippping box from the manufacturer originally came with 2 controllers, and that the company you bought the item from simply used the same shipping box to send you your single controller. Was the retail box opened or tampered with in some way?

I'm sorry if I am not understanding things correctly here, but if I am it sounds to me like you are being completey ridiculous.

Chris

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sorry if I am not understanding things correctly here, but if I am it sounds to me like you are being completey ridiculous.
    That's a safe bet

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My take is that 2 retail boxed controllers are packed in a brown box for shipping from manufacturer.
    Brown box got cut open, deaply slashing the retail box of your chainsaw.
    They took one out, added some packaging to hold it in place.
    Retaped the box, and sent it to fill your order of one controller.
    The only vaild complaint you have is that your retail box got slashed when they opened the shipping box.
    What if NubyTech shiped them to stores in boxes of four? whould you still want it shipped in the orig box? Would you of bought 4 of them? Would you agree to pay for over sized shipping on a huge box inside another box just for your one controller?
    You could try explaining to them that your a collector and would like to exchange it for one without a cut box.
    Sending them a email complaing about there wording or trying to mass a group of people behind you, "It is causing a lot of confusion about the web, as many people who have not yet opened it (For collection purposes) believe that there is in fact two inside..."
    is not going to get them to do anything except print it out and share it with there coworkers as they all laugh around the water cooler.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy

Jason
    Yeah, that's what I meant. The shipping carton. Brown outer packaging box with Resident Evil 4 markings on it. NOT the actual controller box.

Ie, Steel Battalion came in its own shipping carton with Tekki markings on it.

This Resi chainsaw came in a shipping carton, but the shipping carton was perhaps not designed to be sold with the controller to the consumer - It is simply for sending the product to the retailer (In this case, Play.com)

I would imagine that there are some people who didn't receive the same carton as I did with the Leon markings - And just got a standard brown box...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you sir, are a dumbass. sorry, but i can't believe some of the stuff you say, hell, EVERY game, console or whatever is shipped in a shipping box with multiple items in it, those have no value at all and they are not supposed to be shipped to customers at all, those boxes are thrown into the bin all the time.... i still don't understand your post at all... did you REALLY try to complain because you did get your controller in some box only meant for retailers? or what? sorry, i just don't get it, feel free to explain
    -Jan

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aside from your controller box getting sliced...I also fail to see what the problem is.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

besides the brown box being slashed and repackaged (which is what i would do being a seller to save time and money) i believe the original poster is saying that the actual colorful package that the single chainsaw controller came in was also damaged

when the company opened the brown 2 controller box to take one out, because he only bought one, they used a knife and sliced the real box

complaing about the colorful box not intended as a shipping box is okay, but if that is not the case and you are just complaining about the brown box....um.....you have bigger problems to worry about than a brown box
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Someone call the Wahbulence for this guy.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    besides the brown box being slashed and repackaged (which is what i would do being a seller to save time and money) i believe the original poster is saying that the actual colorful package that the single chainsaw controller came in was also damaged
    aah that would make SOME sense, but i couldn't filter that information from all the crap he wrote, thx for doing that for me (if it's true)
    -Jan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why wouldn't you just order from a place like Gamestop.com?! All the stores I've been to had the controllers in stock. They've all had packaging too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    you sir, are a dumbass. sorry, but i can't believe some of the stuff you say, hell, EVERY game, console or whatever is shipped in a shipping box with multiple items in it, those have no value at all and they are not supposed to be shipped to customers at all, those boxes are thrown into the bin all the time.... i still don't understand your post at all... did you REALLY try to complain because you did get your controller in some box only meant for retailers? or what? sorry, i just don't get it, feel free to explain
    So how else would they have shipped it?

Steel Battalion came in a brown outer shipping box to protect it inside, so why not this?

Both my Steel Battalions have their outer shipping boxes. I wouldn't have bought them without!

No doubt Ace Combat 5 (With twin sticks) also has an outer box too - I'm looking to import that soon, but certainly won'y get it unless it comes with that box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Steel Battalion came in a brown outer shipping box to protect it inside, so why not this?

Both my Steel Battalions have their outer shipping boxes. I wouldn't have bought them without!

No doubt Ace Combat 5 (With twin sticks) also has an outer box too - I'm looking to import that soon, but certainly won'y get it unless it comes with that box.
    So wait, why are shipping boxes needed? Protection?

I mean, I couldn't imagine that your Steel Battlion controllers look awesome in plain brown boxes, instead of being displayed in the normal retail box.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There's a signifigant size difference in Steel Battallion and the Resident Evil controller as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I once bought a game and the bubblewrap it was wrapped it had one popped bubble. those f**kers.
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

So Joe, how's that Ignore function coming along?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by poloplayr
    I once bought a game and the bubblewrap it was wrapped it had one popped bubble. those f**kers.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz