Thread: I wish Tron the arcade game was released on SNES

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I wish Tron the arcade game was released on SNES

That would have been great. It would even be nice if someone were to create a homebrew which is a great ripoff of the game.

Even if they included the game as an unlockable item in Tron 2.0 would have been sweet.....

How could this game have been overlooked all these years?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: I wish Tron the arcade game was released on SNES

Quote Originally Posted by stonecutter
    That would have been great. It would even be nice if someone were to create a homebrew which is a great ripoff of the game.

Even if they included the game as an unlockable item in Tron 2.0 would have been sweet.....

How could this game have been overlooked all these years?
    I'm pretty sure it's included on the GBA Tron 2.0, along with Discs of Tron or something. Is that close enough? Heh.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

If you dink around with the service mode in MAME, or just spend a lot of time with the game, you'll notice that it's very similar to all the Vid Kidz/John Newcomer games of that period, like Defender, Joust, Robotron, etc., that Williams published. I had originally wondered why this game didn't appear in any of the other compilations that included all those games (the latest being Midway's Arcade Treasures). But then I realized that it's the Disney license that pretty much barred Tron from ever appearing on any collection like that. They'd have to pay Disney in order to include it, which would make a pretty low-investment project like a compilation of old material (that Midway already owns the rights to) into a rediculously expensive one. Too bad. One of the very few GOOD games based on a movie, and I'm pretty much doomed to playing it in MAME only for the rest of time now that all the cool arcades that had Tron (there were a couple in Seattle!) are now gone.

I was actually pretty pretty surprised to learn that it showed up in the Tron 2.0 game on the GBA. Did Midway publish that game? That's the only way I could think of everybody getting their royalties without it becoming a really complicated pain in the rear.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    I was actually pretty pretty surprised to learn that it showed up in the Tron 2.0 game on the GBA. Did Midway publish that game? That's the only way I could think of everybody getting their royalties without it becoming a really complicated pain in the rear.
    All versions of TRON 2.0: Killer App were published by Buena Vista Games, Disney's interactive arm. I assume BVG threw Midway a financial bone to include TRON and Discs of TRON in the GBA version.

-- Z.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't know that it was on the GBA version. I have the XBOX version but I am pretty sure its not on that one. Thanks for that info, I will have to get the GBA version now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    If you dink around with the service mode in MAME, or just spend a lot of time with the game, you'll notice that it's very similar to all the Vid Kidz/John Newcomer games of that period, like Defender, Joust, Robotron, etc., that Williams published. I had originally wondered why this game didn't appear in any of the other compilations that included all those games (the latest being Midway's Arcade Treasures). But then I realized that it's the Disney license that pretty much barred Tron from ever appearing on any collection like that. They'd have to pay Disney in order to include it, which would make a pretty low-investment project like a compilation of old material (that Midway already owns the rights to) into a rediculously expensive one. Too bad. One of the very few GOOD games based on a movie, and I'm pretty much doomed to playing it in MAME only for the rest of time now that all the cool arcades that had Tron (there were a couple in Seattle!) are now gone.

Pretty much that's how it go's for, any thing that's license.

Wich can be hard for any compeny