Thread: MAME Tournament Discussion Thread

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

Jibba - it was a blast, I love these kinds of tournaments (played in Twin Galazies MAME Decathlons for 3 years before). I will do my best to be part of anything that comes up in the future...now I need to see what the MAME League has up I've been slack in that recently.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, what sucks in the game is that if you die while trying to finish a board, you go back to the START of the board. Board 1 has 2 scenes (you can see the number of scenes left in the uper left corner). So I'll call them 1-1 and 1-2 for ease. Board 2 also has 2 scenes. Board 3 and 4 each have 3. So if you make it to 4-3, for example, and die, then you have to restart at 4-1.

Does that help?

For the record, 4-3 is as far as I got in my game.

If THIS game was hard, I'm in pure FEAR of what is coming up next.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    I'm not making excuses, but I just got off one of the most brutal 3 day stretches I've ever had at my job. If I had one more day (I actually have tomorrow off), I could probably get to 25k or better, but in reality...I only had about two hours in the past three days when I mentally felt able to concentrate and play for more than 5 minutes.

I ended with just under 20k. Well done good sir I hath been slain.
    I only played for an hour or so the first night and about three hours the next. (Honestly I couldn't take any more of this game, hehe) I feel mentally able to concentrate on the competition, but after five minutes with Zzyzzyxx that all goes away. As far as I'm concerned the only reason I'm advancing is that of pure luck.

Fun game but it just gets so damned frustrating during the last lap of board 3 - all of board 3 in fact, when there's ONE open slot in a row you have to get back across and no helmet in sight, and that one open slot has an enemy in it that just won't leave, and all the other enemies are on the same side as you... aaaaaggghhhh!!!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I kept dying on a part (hell, I dont remember what board it was) and I kept getting 5000 points for all the items I collected 2 or 3 times in a row. That was luck. So, I ended up with 26625. Hopefully, its enough to win. I'll know when I wake up. Mesotired.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok.. submitted my score. With all the distractions on a Sunday evening.. I had to tell the wife that I NEEDED to be left alone for a couple of hours. I knew w/ Dr. Morbis being the gaming bad ass that he obviously is, I'd have to really try and max out this bitch .

Anyway... for a long time my high wasn't all that great then I took a break and when I came back with fresh eyes I nailed a score I was satisfied with after about 3 more attempts in. I won't be playing this game any longer one entire precious Sunday night to friggin ZZYZZXYZ

Welp.. here goes nothing. Personally I kind of think it's too bad either Dr. Morbis or I have to drop in this round... (I think we both would have been good for the finals) So either way.. good luck to all

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Playoff braket updated:

Really interesting scores this week. Dr. Morbis and NE146 had the highest scores of the week, and et one of them has to go home. It seems like each player who won did just enough to eek out a victory, but all of the winning scores were very different. The conference championships are going to be very interesting.

Gapporin is picking the game for this round, so keep your eyes peeled for a post from him this morning.

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Like Jibba said, I have chosen the next round's game. And it has been chosen. See the main thread for details.

However, Jibba also thought that you guys might need a little how-to tutorial for this game. So here's the scoop:

The object of the game is to shoot the baddies trying to rob the bank, while letting the citizens deposit their money at the bank. Along with a left-right joystick, you have three buttons: Button 1 shoots left, Button 2 shoots middle, and Button 3 shoots right. Easy, eh? On the top, you will see a taskbar like this:

The bank has twelve different doors in it. (Maybe they would be able to cut down on robberies if they just had one door, eh?) Your goal is to have a deposit made in every door to go on to the next level. Once a deposit is made, you will see a "$" symbol in that door. The red numbers show which doors you are looking at. And the red bars tell how far away someone is (robber or citizen) from reaching that certain door.

And the clock? ...I dunno. It's just a clock.

This isn't all there is to this game, though, by the way. There are bonuses and fairness and bomb threats involved, too, but I'll let you figure that out on your own.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. I won by such a small amount its amazing. Well, atleast I know the lowest I can be is 4th place now! Yay!

BTW, that game sounds a lot more difficult then it is. I like it.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh well... like I said, it's too bad one of us has to go home and this time it had to be me If only I had been able to reach that girl that one LAST time (the bonus on her gets huge), I would've taken it.. but alas

Congrats to Dr. Morbis, you are indeed a skilled bad ass The tournament was great fun. I regret not playing games like Defender or Robotron, but hey the surprise and randomness of the games made it quite a bit more interesting

If anyone wants to view my .INP, here it is: http://www.users.uswest.net/~userid946/tk/zzyzzyxx9.zip

And with that I will bow out! Until the next time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dammit.

Oh well. Congratulations Mr.FoodMonster! Just making it this far has been great for me. Thanks to everyone who dropped out!

I'll see you suckas in the high score league...

Time for a well-deserved nap.
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

HOLY CRAP!

And I was happy with MY score after spending four hours on the game!

My hats off to Dr. Mobius and NE146 for those AMAZING scores. I just don't know how you guys did it. I was eager to get to Board 4 as soon as I could so I could rack up the points there -- looks like you guys managed to get to Board 5.

Quintracker had a good score as well -- I'm glad I kept replaying, because going into Sunday I only had a high of 60k.

Congrats to everyone who has advanced and also to those who tried their hardest. This was NOT a easy game.

Now I have to knock off Mr. Food Monster to get to the finals, someone I was hoping I would NOT have to face again. :P He's been on a rampage and I know I'll need to be on the ball to defeat him. To make matters worse for me, I work second shift every day, which reduces my playing time to a couple hours each night.

Speaking of second shift, Jibba -- when exactly is the deadline for sending in our scores on Thursday morning? I don't normaly get home until Midnight.

Bank Panic -- played it once in the arcades, recall it being a damn hard game. Well, best of luck to everyone who got this far! Even a loss here means you can play in the bronze medal game, so chances are good we all get SOMETHING for just being in the Final Four.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Well technically the scores are due on Wednesday night, but my policy has always been that they just need to be in my inbox when I get up the following morning. I check my e-mail at about 7:00. So technically you could play the game the following morning and be OK...

BUT

The "official" deadline is Wednesday night, midnight or whatever (which would of course be 3AM where you are). If I get up at 6AM because I can't sleep or whatever, and that's when I decide to check my e-mail, and I still don't have yours, then you're ass-out. My point is, although I am somewhat flexible, don't push the limits, because I am NOT going to e-mail you asking for a score on Thursday morning. I'm going to give you a zero and be done with it. Best to play it safe and get the score in ASAP.

As soon as the competition is over, I am going to set up "Digital Press world player rankings" much like professional tennis has. Then, based on the results of subsequent league events, the rankings will change, people will change positions, etc. I figure I'll do something like pay the #1 seed 100 meseta every week that they are in the top spot. That's motivation to keep it! Then, who get's into next year's championship tournament will depend on your world ranking. We won't have a "regular season" next year, because we will have these rankings as a result of regular league events. This will also help to ensure that the people in the championship tournament WANT to be there, and aren't going to drop out halfway through. Assuming that we pick up more players after this tournament, next years will be bigger and have one or more extra rounds.

Excited yet?

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll tip my hat to you SoulBlazer, I knew you would be a challenge. I was actually talking to Scooter this morning about how I should have shot for over 100k because I knew you'd bring all you had. You have my congratulations, and I look forward to challenging you again

I'll go on and give another shout out to Jibbajaba as well. Believe it or not, your dedication to this mame league kept me going. When I starting working fulltime 11-7 at night halfway through this league I was ready to give it up, but seeing you continue through even after people started dropping out, questioning your methods, and nagging about updates ( ), I decided the least I could do was see this thing through to the end. Thanks for a great league, and I look forward to participating in future ones!
    Curiosity killed the cat.... Satisfaction brought him back.

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
    My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
    Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
    'Til then I walk alone...

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Thanks a lot, Quin. I really appreciate that. Gotta give Gapporin a LOT of credit here, too. More often than not, someone was telling him that his game picked sucked in any given week, but he stuck through it too. Hopefully he helps me run the high score league, too.

You'd better stay in the league Quin or I'm going to have some rectum-mutilating trolls sent to your house to do their dirty work and then post the picks online for POG to find.

Believe it or not, I'm really sad that the tournament is almost over already. Hopefully all of you guys stay on board, and we pick up some new members as well.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Oh no, I gotta play against the MAME machine this round. :/ Oh well, I shall do my best. Some very impressive scores last round everyone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You're absolutely right Jibba, I can't believe I forgot to thank Gapporin.

Gapp, your choices were certainly unique and, in a way, that's what made the league a level playing field. By choosing some obscure games you made sure everyone had an equal chance at winning (I still can't imagine someone mastering that baseball card game!). You put up with alot of complaining, but still continued on. My hats off to you.

Again, thanks to both of you for putting on a great league, and to all the players who participated and made it so much fun. Good luck to those in the finals!
    Curiosity killed the cat.... Satisfaction brought him back.

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
    My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
    Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
    'Til then I walk alone...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Ahh well... like I said, it's too bad one of us has to go home and this time it had to be me If only I had been able to reach that girl that one LAST time (the bonus on her gets huge), I would've taken it.. but alas

Congrats to Dr. Morbis, you are indeed a skilled bad ass The tournament was great fun. I regret not playing games like Defender or Robotron, but hey the surprise and randomness of the games made it quite a bit more interesting

If anyone wants to view my .INP, here it is: http://www.users.uswest.net/~userid946/tk/zzyzzyxx9.zip

And with that I will bow out! Until the next time...
    My hat is off to you for spurring me to take it up a notch. If I had been playing anyone else, I would have given up after I maxed out at 170k on the first night after 3 straight hours of play. But I knew you would put in an A+ effort so I kept going till I busted in to level 5 for those 20k+ rewards every time you get to Lola. In fact, no my winning game, I died like 3 or four times in a row on level 4, and on my last man somehow managed to pass level four and rescue Lola twice on level 5 The trick to that game is going up and down, don't hang around on the same horizontal level going for treats that are near the baddies. I actually had lola showing 27 or 32k above her head but I just couldn't make it to her that one last time to pass level 5.

Now it's off to Bank Panic... This should be interesting...
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Games I'm bad at... Hogan's Alley.. Wild Gunman... oh, look - Bank Panic.. it's like the two put together.. except you use a joystick instead of a lightgun. I'm going to get creamed in this round. I've been playing for hours and haven't got over 40k.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Okay, Jibba, thanks for the info. So you're on the west coast? That helps, then, since Midnight for you is 3 AM here, which means gaming time after I get home from work.

Also, we're susposed to start at Level 1, right? Just checking.

Hard game. I found it easier to use the keyboard. I did allright tonight after some pratice and can figure most of the things out -- I'm just not sure how to gain letters for the EXTRA in the lower left corner.

Suffice it to say the trick seems to be how fast you can rack up the points in the early rounds, because the later ones are downright BRUTAL!

I also had a bug happen to me in one of the games -- it seems someone dropped the last money bag I needed at the EXACT same time I was shot, and the screen got all garbled. Then it showed me dying a few seconds later. After that, the round continued, EXCEPT I had all the bags there allready! Finally after a few more bags were dropped it registered as stage clear.

Mr. Food Monster is not going to be easy. He rampaged through the last half of the tourny and was the only non seeded player to make it to the Final Four. I'm going to have to be on my top game to get past him into the finals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I'm just not sure how to gain letters for the EXTRA in the lower left corner.
    To gain a letter, you have to shoot the hardest guy at 0.00 (the 5000pt guy, not the 3000 pt guy). I've only been able to spell EXTRA once, but it gave me 20k, a free man, and the round was automatically cleared.

And I know what you mean about Foodmonster. He started out at like 1-4 or 1-5 and slowly crept up into the leaders pack as the tourney progressed. I remember when he played you and me back to back and got 4 losses even though his scores would have beat 95% of the other players.

One day to go peeps...
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"