Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Genesis Cartridge?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Not to worry guys, send all your broken Genny carts to this guy!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...=1#post1431579

My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Surfin7 View Post
    sorry to ressurrect the topic again, but I´m having problems with a genesis cart too.

I got a Gaiares cart last month, on a trip. I insert the cart but all I get is a black screen, other games work fine, so the problem is at the cart.

I tried to open it and realized that it does not have anything else besides the Rom chip, while other carts (Sonic 2 from Sega) have 2 capacitors (one ceramic and another electrolytic).
    The cart is like new, shining contacts, very nice looking PCB, like if it was made less than a year ago.
    So I decided to buy the capacitors and solder at the right places, using the Sonic 2 as a model, found 1: 47pF, but I could not identify the ceramic one, it does have just the text: ZV-50 2232

So, any sugestion of the capacitors I need? do you think the cart will work?

I´m including a picture of it so you can have a better idea:

Thanks !!
    I don't see your picture but I opened up my copy of Gaiares and found the following. While looking at the side of the PCB with the chip, on the right (C1) is a 47uF electrolytic capacitor, with the negative terminal to the right. On the left (C2) is a resistor. I am a little rusty with reading resistor colors, so I will just tell you what I see. From top to bottom: white, orange, red, red.

EDIT: Now I see your picture. You have a different label. I have the US version. I have no idea what you have.
    Last edited by SkiDragon; 09-14-2008 at 09:17 PM.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolGamer View Post
    Not to worry guys, send all your broken Genny carts to this guy!

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...=1#post1431579

Ermm... no thanks! I would try to fix it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon View Post
    I don't see your picture but I opened up my copy of Gaiares and found the following. While looking at the side of the PCB with the chip, on the right (C1) is a 47uF electrolytic capacitor, with the negative terminal to the right. On the left (C2) is a resistor. I am a little rusty with reading resistor colors, so I will just tell you what I see. From top to bottom: white, orange, red, red.

EDIT: Now I see your picture. You have a different label. I have the US version. I have no idea what you have.
    Sorry, I forgot to check this thread again
    Anyway, at that time I got a japanese Sonic2 cart and found the 47uF capacitor, but the other side had also a capacitor, that I couldn't identify, a ceramic one, then after some google I found a scheme for building a rewriteable Genesis cart, and the guy used a 0.22pF ceramic capacitor, then I installed both capacitors and guess what? I got the same black screen
    Then I got mad and got myself an original japanese cart at eBay, came direct from Tokyo
    But it was so shiny and looking like it was never used that I sealed it again (now it's at my collectives place) and got another cart, an used USA cart version to play regularly. I love eBay!

But I did not gave up at the non-working cart, just don't know what to do, maybe get another rom chip and install at it?
    I will try replacing the C2 with a resistor, just need to find the correct value for the colors you sent.

Thanks!

I have the US version. I have no idea what you have.
    That's not a standard look, it has a label made from the japanese box image, and format is like the brazilian cart (USA look but with the lock cut).
    Last edited by Surfin7; 11-03-2008 at 10:45 PM.