Thread: Has anyone used a Jpac?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Has anyone used a Jpac?

I have a Tempest cab that is an awful Jamma conversion, but the cab is in pretty nice shape still. I'd love to convert it to mame so I can actually play Tempest in it. The Jpac seems like a simple solution, seems almost too easy. Has anyone used one? Would I also be able to use Ultimarc's spinner/trackball Optipac at the same time?

I know I'll probably also need to get their ArcadeVGA video card to be able to use my computer with the arcade monitor, same question, any experiences? The only thing I don't understand about that option is how they say I should disconnect the switching power supply, but leave in the isolation transformer for the monitor. Isn't the isolation transformer hooked up to the switching power supply? Do I just reroute the 110v to the isolation transformer?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have a J-Pac, but I do use the I-Pac and it is a quality device. So I can at least reccomend 1 Ultimarc product.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Has anyone used a Jpac?

Quote Originally Posted by MoreEbolaForYou
    The only thing I don't understand about that option is how they say I should disconnect the switching power supply, but leave in the isolation transformer for the monitor. Isn't the isolation transformer hooked up to the switching power supply? Do I just reroute the 110v to the isolation transformer?

The Jpac gets its power from the PC keyboard port, so it doesn't need the voltages from the switching power supply. If you leave the +-12V from the switcher connected, then it could damage the Jpac. You probably won't need the switcher at all, except for the coin door lights and if it still has the light up start buttons that Tempest originally had. If anything else in the cabinet needs +-5V or +-12V, you can get that from the PC power supply, assuming it has enough power to run them.

I think the isolation transformer should be connected directly to the monitor and should not be tied into the JAMMA harness.

You don't have to have the ArcadeVGA, but you will need a video card that can handle 15kHz. I've used the Trident Blade T64 with no troubles.

http://easymamecab.mameworld.net/ has lots of good info for setting everything up.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmm, I know the monitor doesn't get power from the harness. I've done some monitor work, but I've been lucky enough to never really have to do much with my power supplies. That's why I'm confused on the power supply/isolation transformer issue. I'll check out that link later and see if it clears things up for me, thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check out Bob Roberts site for a few diagrams on arcade cabinet power. Especially the JAMMA information.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a bit dusty (and for some reason it's in the gaming forum), but here's my old thread on the MAME machine I built last year:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319825

In it I used a Jpac connector to connect my PC to an arcade cabinet with a 25" monitor. It works like a dream with my ATI Radeon VIVO (basically one of the 2nd gen Radeons).

In case anyone is sitill wondering, I never did sell my cab, but I did finish the A/B port for the monitor and KB. I still need to finish the speakers (spec. mounting the woofer and PS for it) and the power (connecting everything together so it all turns on/off with one switch). Oh and I still need a marquee dammit.