Thread: "Classic Gamer" letter in EGM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melf
    Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    Now I know why I like Game Informer.
    GI is better somehow? I only get it because GS tacks it onto the 10% discount card, otherwise I'd never touch it.
    Never said I subscribe to it, just that I like it better. With Classic GI in every issue, along with Retro Reviews and Greatest Game of all time reviews, GI is much better than EGM when it comes to classic gaming. Morever, I am sure they would at least know the difference between Yar's Revenge and Galaga.

I would never pay for a subscription for EGM. I only got my subscription free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked up the JUNE issue with ZELDA on the cover overall a much better issue than the last few months with good coverage on the new Zelda on GC maybe theres hope after all.

also I was born in 1973 the first actaul "home console" that I ever played was the PONG system of my cousins and the first video game system I had was an Atari2600.

Yeah Im an old f&*(% and even though I can read just about any of todays magazines and spot out mistakes in just about any issue especially when they attempt to talk about any retro games or systems in mags like EGM or GameInformer I still make mistakes of my own sometimes when I post on this board and I learn something new about my favorite hobby on a constant basis here thats why I luv this board and about 99% of the fellow gamers that are regulars here.

I honestly think that there are many ppl on this board that would make better Reviewers or Critics for any mag including EGM or any other magazines of the current day than the seemingly very inexperienced gamers that staff the likes of EGM right now that seemed to have been winged on SNES or even PSX

DAMN I MISS GAMEFAN

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    Quote Originally Posted by jslithy
    I didn't read one bad review for Toshinden when it was released. It was by far the best reviewed of the PSX launch games. One major magazine gave it a 98%, then their highest score (until VF2 came out and they gave it a 99%).
    It was very well-reviewed indeed; in fact, I wrote one of those positive reviews. (In my feeble defense, I gave Tekken a higher score.)

-- Z.
    As you should have, they were both outstanding games for their day, as were Donkey Kong Country and Nights. I think it's EGM's reasoning that's really out of whack...I don't think because a game has been done better over time (as is clearly the case with BAT) makes it overrated.

There are a couple games on their list that I am in agreement with because they were overrated at the time of their original release, hello Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark. But just because a game hasn't aged well isn't a good reason to call it overrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is everyone bashing EGM over this? The mistake was made by the idiot who submitted the letter, not the mag. They simply didn't edit his letter is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm usually into bashing EGM as they tend to ignore the retro gamers and focus on the new, but I've come to the realization that they are only catering to their audience. I mean how many people, relative to their total subscription base, would read EGM for retro articles. Probably very few. I generally prefer Game Informer because they at least give nods to pre SNES games. EGMs top 100 lists are really good though. I'm looking forward to the one they kick out for issue #200, but if Halo 2 is on there I will cancel my subscription. And to comment on the overrated games list, I personally thought that list was almost dead on. I wouldn't put ICO on the list, but every other game deserves its spot. I would personally replace FF 9 with FF 7, but that's a small quibble.

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They should have put "Street Fighter 2" on that list...

But then again, EGM did spend two years talking about how every game was not as good at SF2.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by Push Upstairs
    They should have put "Street Fighter 2" on that list...

But then again, EGM did spend two years talking about how every game was not as good at SF2.
    The SNES port was the first game they gave a 10 to. It got straight 10's. I myself was caught up in the hype of that game; I actually thought it was really fun, so I didn't question it at the time. In retrospect, I can hardly see how SF2 is a better game than Zelda: A link to the past, or even Super Mario World.

So, I agree with you...okay back on topic.