Thread: NES Pin connector opinions?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Pin connector opinions?

Anyone here sell GOOD NES pin connectors or know of someone who does? There are so many conflicting messages about these I am really unsure of where to begin.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Your first step should be to try to fix yours, but if the pins are bent then screw it. Call up Nintendo customer support and tell them that your NES won't play games anymore, and you have tried cleaning it with the official cleaning kit. They should offer to send you a new 72 pin connector for free. This is the best option because then you are getting a first-party connector instead of one of those horribly shitty MCM connectors.

There is an article in the DP knowledge base about refurbing your 72 pin connector. I highly reccomend you try that first. I have refurbed connectors this way and it works great, and all it costs you is a buck or two in sandpaper.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My opinion is for you to try the suggestions above.

I no longer sell the connectors I use for my installs, because the headaches far outweigh the tiny margin benefits. I install them with a 100% success rate, but others don't have the same success.

I do warranteed NES refurbs with lockout disable, and an NTF2 test, plus a full detail clean inside and out for $25USD.www.oldschoolgamer.ca
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I no longer sell the connectors I use for my installs, because the headaches far outweigh the tiny margin benefits. I install them with a 100% success rate, but others don't have the same success.
    Just curious, how do you define success?
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hear silentwulf on the forums here sells a good NES pin connector for a nice price if you're interested, Though IU forget what the name of his ebay store is, anyone remember that?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes, I fell so happy and lucky to have a great NintendoEntertainmentSystem that I've had since just a couple of years after launch date, that still has the origional pin connector that came with it in it, and still somehow plays all games I pop in it great once I get them running. I've never had to replace my connector, and it's always held up for me!

I guess I may just be one of a very lucky few, or maybe the only very lucky one.

Oh well, free bump for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

An OSG successful install means it works with (clean)

NTF2
    SMB3
    Final Fantasy
    SMB/DH
    Tengen Pac Man
    Tengen RBI Baseball
    Camerica 4 in 1 Sports
    Color Dreams Raid 2020
    Metroid
    Double Dragon
    Rollergames
    Win, Lose, or Draw
    32 in 1 Famicom pirstae cart with Famicom adapter
    POW
    Rad Racer
    Kid Icarus
    Game Genie

And finally,the last test for the ten NES's per month I do, is in the hands of happy customers, who usually have no complaints. The few who have (maybe 4 out of 70) got a quick lesson in cartridge cleaning, and were then happy.

People enjoy playing on the ones I do installs on. Most are local customers, who could bring it back in a heartbeat. They don't. I have *never* had to give a refund with these pins on an OSG install.

I sold connectors to about 20 customers. 5 of them had issues, and some wanted refunds. For 50 cents per connector margin, I'll stick with installs, and a trail of happy customers.

It's a no brainer. the best thing for OSG is to stay out of the DIY'ers parts business.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cool. Do the customers seem to not mind when, for instance, it takes 3x for a cart to work, or when some carts only work with the cart not pressed down? I'm curious as to how different the expectations are for us vs the people who pay for the service.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I'm not sure how to answer that.

When the NES leaves here, it works first, second and third tries with each of those above games.

Once people start using garage sale finds and so on, then results would no doubt vary.

Lets try this again:

I have never had to refund a local (or internet for that matter) customers money on an NES. On more than 100 local customers, everyone has been pleased. The odd one needed schooling on how to clean their carts, but that's it.

If your earlier comment was meant as an honest inquiry, then I'm just trying to be clear.

If you were intimating that I have the ability to control my customers minds, and make them feel satisfied, your estimation of my skills overshoots the mark.