Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is YOUR opinion of the XBox 360

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What is YOUR opinion of the XBox 360

Now that we know everything about the console, how do YOU feel about it? This is how I feel.

Xbox 360. Intresting.
    Well, first off, I'm going to say that I am impressed. The fact that consoles will FINALLY have wireless controllers as a standard is a very good thing, and should have been done SNES/Genesis days, if not sooner (yes, it was possible, wireless Atari 2600 controllers exist). The graphics are a little bit better then the best avalible PC games at the moment. The screenshots/video provided is very nice. List of awesome games: Perfect Dark Zero, Quake 4 (yessss), Gears of War.
    Now, the bad. As you may or may not know, I'm not an XBox suporter, because there just isnt enough there to intrest me in it. If you notice the graphic differences between XBox (hell, even GC and PS2) and this 360, they are conciderably very small. If you look in the past, the jump from NES - SNES was a big graphical difference, SNES - N64 was a big jump, and N64 - GC is a bit smaller, but still a nice difference. This, however is not. And, because this is coming out THIS YEAR (less then 4 years from the release of XBox) a lot of people, besides early adoptors, wont be intrested in it. There is still a lot of juice to be pumped out of the current systems. Hopefully this WILL NOT make Sony and the big N make them rush their consoles.

I think (and, I'm not ashamed to admit, HOPE) that the XBox 360 goes the way of the Dreamcast.

All I can say, E3 will be VERY intresting this year....
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly think that there are two main things that really will kill the xbox 360 number one lack of backwords compatibility

number 2: how early it's being released, because it's being released way to early i would say give it at least 6 more months after it's suppose to be released.

in the end xbox 360 will fail why because microsoft is full of idiots making the console, the specs look outstanding but the main thing is that I to hope it goes the way of the dreamcast because from what it seems like the the xbox 360 is that it's like an xbox 1.5 but hey I guess we will see what happens with it.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Blah blah blah...I can say it isn't enough of a difference to justify buying it, it's too early and no backward comp but the fact is that I'm going to buy it as soon as I can because I'm a bitch. Which is why I work at Initech in the first place.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fact that consoles will FINALLY have wireless controllers as a standard is a very good thing, and should have been done SNES/Genesis days, if not sooner (yes, it was possible, wireless Atari 2600 controllers exist).
    Hmm, isn't cheap RF wireless only a relatively new thing? I know they had infrared wireless controllers way back (I almost got one for my SNES) but the signal apparently never worked right. I think really the soonest wireless controllers could have been done cheaply out of the box would be the current generation we're in - but in any case, I don't think it is a long overdue feature as far as being feasible cost wise. It probably would have added $100 to the systems if this was implemented in the SNES days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great, wireless controllers. Another thing I have to buy batteries for. Well, Its not like I'll be getting a 360 for at least 2-3 years anyway.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What is YOUR opinion of the XBox 360

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Well, first off, I'm going to say that I am impressed. The fact that consoles will FINALLY have wireless controllers as a standard is a very good thing, and should have been done SNES/Genesis days, if not sooner (yes, it was possible, wireless Atari 2600 controllers exist).
    Actually, wireless technology has until this point really been infared technology, which is pretty crappy. Yes, there were wireless 2600 controllers and Nintendo controllers, but you had to sit in a direct line to the TV, and if you moved funny it might not register keystrokes. It wasn't until this generation that "real" wireless controllers started to come into fashion. Not even the Dreamcast had them -- just the infared ones.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'll have an opinion when I see the 3rd party support in action. I don't care how powerful a system is, without good games it might as well be a brick.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What is YOUR opinion of the XBox 360

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.FoodMonster
    Now that we know everything about the console, how do YOU feel about it?
    I hope that was an ironic statement, because we know almost nothing about it.

How it looks, wireless controllers, and other stuff was already leaked. I'd have liked to see more about the hardware specs, see some games in action, the all too short and impressionistic upcoming games didn't look bad.

At this point in time, it is way too early for judgement calls. I'm very laid back when it comes to new consoles, after E3 and at launch date we'll know more.

Noteworthy is certainly the way the new console was introduced: as a TV event targeting a broader audience beyond the traditional gamer base. That is a first.

Overall, the MTV-'special' was a big circus from which we learned little about the Xbox 360.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the PS3 will be anything to brag about either. This is just a cut throat case of competitors battling it out. Microsoft just got the edge. I don't see a need for a new system just yet becuase as many of you have stated, graphics wise, it is not that much better than todays consoles. Unless you are a real game nut and wanted to play games on your new 100" HD TV with surround sound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

Looks great, can't wait to buy it and play the games...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just wanted to add that thier was not a huge difference between the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 either... Scammers.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I, quite frankly, wasn't impressed. The graphics really weren't that much better than current-gen graphics, and I'm not big on the whole online thing either...

All in all, I didn't see anything (other than some online stuff) that couldn't be done on Xbox 1 with weaker graphics. I'd be much more interested if it actually felt like a significant step up.

That's why I'm more interested in seeing what nintendo has to offer. If anything, I at least know they're going to try to bring something new to the table. I'm not sure how well it'll work, but it's nice to see that at least one company realizes that graphics can only go so far and it's the gameplay that needs to expand with each generation.

Just my 2 cents.

(Oh, and am I the only one who thinks the 360 is ugly? It looks like a PC tower for chrissakes.... x_x )
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yago
    Unless you are a real game nut and wanted to play games on your new 100" HD TV with surround sound.

Certified game nut with 100" HDTV and Surround Sound reporting for duty!!!!

Actually, it's funny you mention that, because I actually do have a 100 inch HDTV. Actually it's 113 inches to be exact, and I do have a nice 7.1 surround system hooked up to it as well, and I must say that the XBOX 360 is exactly what my DLP Projector has been begging for.

I must say however, that I was quite underwhelmed by todays MTV Special, didn't see enough footage of the games to really get a good feel. Some games only looked marginally better than what we are playing now, but I did see a couple of games (for mere seconds) that did look kinda mind blowing.

The big question for me is which games am I going to be able to actually play come day 1 of launch.

Also, no mention of release date or price or any specifics on the specs. I guess they wanted to save some thunder for e3.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    great, wireless controllers. Another thing I have to buy batteries for.
    Rechargable batteries!!

The controllers can be plugged into the system via a detachable USB cable that charges the batteries, either while you play wired or just plugged into the system when it is off.

Personally I think the line-up is great. PGR3, Quake 4, Perfect Dark finally done justice!!!!

Plus, graphically, compare early PS2 games with Gran Turismo 4.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius

Plus, graphically, compare early PS2 games with Gran Turismo 4.

I don't think that's a very valid comparison in this case though. The PS2 was a very bad design from an engineering standpoint, and it took developers quite some time before they got to grips with it. So the early PS2 stuff looks very weak compared to the more recent PS2 offerings.

But if you go back and look at early XBOX games, they actually hold their own pretty well with current XBOX games. Halo 1, Oddworld, Project Gotham.

I don't see any super dramatic improvements over those games with current XBOX stuff.

But again, we got pretty "brief" glimpes of these games, so it's hard to make to much of a judgement over what we saw. Actually of all the games that I saw, I thought that Perfect Dark was the least impressive. I mean the game looked like a good game, but I could have easily mistaken it for a XBOX 1 game.

I have to go back and watch the tape of it, and see which game it was that totally blew me away, cause I did see one game that did totally blow me away, can't remember which one it was though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please, don't judge games we saw for 5 secs. We don't know how PGR3, Perfect Dark, or Kameo will play, and what the new hardware is capable of in the hands of creative game designers.

Three things are certain:

1. This thing will be a big challenge for the PS3. The thing looks sleek including the controller, not a revolution, but so far no console system was.

2. The lineup of launch titles looks promising.

3. It is the next big push for the 'interactive entertainment center' (mp3, digital camera, of course DVD, and what else not). Console systems will be able to do much more than playing games, and the long-term goal of Sony and MS is the console as the PC-entertainment center in the living room which serves also as an Internet browser and can do all non-work related stuff a PC can do already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

It's funny how these comments are bassically what were said four years ago before the xbox launch, "it's going to die horribly" etc. I'm not disagreeing that the graphics are not that much more advanced that the current gen from what we have seen as of today. But, I think we can expect some better graphics of course. Is Microsoft rushing this system in hopes of getting an edge in the market, yeah basically. I'm just saying we shouldn't be marking it's death without really knowing that much about it.
    *Guards himself from fanboys*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JB Lars
    PSN
    JBLars

Music player visualizations by Jeff Minter. That's one sold here, guaranteed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Bad

1. Seeing how The Killers got more air time than any of the games did, that blows.

2. Seeing several EA games and none of them read "Burnout (insert subtitle here)"....bleah.

3. When did Joanna Dark become the girl from Pandemonieum?

4. Why did Perfect Dark Zero look like it was running on a Dreamcast?

5. Am I the only one who noticed that for Xbox 360 games, the animation (NOT the graphics) in Madden STILL LOOKS LIKE ITS THE SAME since what, 2001? And how about that bizarre grass graphic glitch in Tiger Woods? But that's a stab at EA then anything.

6. This is what gaming has come down to: Being represented by Pimp My Ride, Lil' Jon, and MTV. Depression is not the right word.

7. Removable Face Plate? We're getting an Ipod 360?

The Good
    1. I'm actually warming up to the look of the system, but on its side. I'm not to happy about them trying to be like a PS2. I LOVE the white shade, so long as it doesn't pull a SNES on me.

2. That removable hard drive is screaming hacker heaven.

3. That rechargeable wireless controller with two DIGITAL shoulder buttons AND triggers? ROCK ON.

4. Project Gotham 3 looked rather nice for all of its 3 seconds.

The Ugly
    1. The script of the show.

2. Did anyone else sit there when the blond pulled the system out of the bag, and sat it on the table, that the audience was going gaga....over...a box. She could have put a pair of sneakers on there, and the crowd would have gone bonkers.

Overall, I can say I think jump will be significant in a year after release, but with 720p being the standard on all games (looks at his Wega) sign me up!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yago
    Just wanted to add that thier was not a huge difference between the Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 either... Scammers.
    Yep, and we all know how well Atari did after that.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026