Thread: How did you get hold of one of your favourite games?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How did you get hold of one of your favourite games?

I can't stop making new threads today. In the words of Jim Carrey - "Somebody stop me!!"

Anyway. I'd love to know some stories as to how you first got hold of one of your favourite games of all time. Anything you wish to share, just feel free.

For me, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles springs to mind. I got Sonic 3 as a bribe. When I was younger, I was becoming so unhealthy and lazy. My parents thought they could bribe me with Sonic goodness to get me moving. And they were right. They put Sonic 3 before my very eyes and proposed the deal: come swimming, and the game is yours. So I went swimming. I hated going because it was a half hour drive. So I spent the whole time there and back reading the box. Easiest game I ever acquired!

Actually, Sonic & Knuckles may have been even easier It was my dad's birthday, and my mum bought him Sonic & Knuckles. Of course, he didn't own a Mega Drive. And no, he didn't play games. And being the smart boy I was, I immediately realised some trickery was taking place. It took a whole day for him to finally relinquish his grip on "my" game. And when the time came, we all had to go to the doctor's. So once again, I spent several hours staring at the box, desperate to play.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good idea, somebody stop him, please.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Which thread is the actual one?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Double...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I didn't spam this thread. The forums are really messed up today. Its happening with a lot of threads!

Great Puma (Level 12) captain nintendo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    I bought them.

Same here

I need to start a new topic by the way....... What is your favorite game that came out in 1990 that starts with an "S" :P

"until all are one" - Optimus Prime
    Link to collection:
    http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

R.I.P. Michael "Nepenthean" Collins
    You will not be forgotten.

I like Fezzes. Fezzes are cool. ubikuberalles's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most of my video game purchases are unremarkable. However, I do remember buying Adventure. I mentioned to my dad something about getting a new video game for the 2600. My dad gave me his credit card and told me to get something. I went to the mall and found Advenutre. I heard good stuff about it and bought it. I only remember this purchase because I was nervous that the credit card purchase would not come through since it was my dad's card. I had visions of being arrested and humilated and being dragged through the mall. Didn't happen. The purchase completed without incident.

Of course this was more than twenty years ago before they had modems to instantly check and approve the purchase.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Loose Atari Video Pinball Cart..(My first ever Atari cart)

When I was a kid I traded a friend some bike part/or parts for it..

I was getting a 2600 for Christmas that year as I was a kid so I had a Video Pinball for it..(I was in love with this game)
    I wound up finagling/trading him more Bike Parts/ for his entire Atari 2600 system..

He just told his father it was stolen and he got another...(his dad was loaded but would not buy him a Bike..
    So I now had an Atari and he now had a Bike...(both happy)

I would sit up late at night and hook it up to the Black And White TV in my room,hiding it from my parents/plus I couldn't tell them not to get me the system for Christmas or they would of thought something was up..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite game is Paradroid 90 for the Amiga - but I only had a "backup" copy back in the days ;) So I was on the hunt for this game, but it never appeared on ebay - until someday, there was an auction with lots of CD32 stuff *and* Paradroid 90. I even knew the seller, so I had to win the auction, no matter what the cost ;) Well, I did win it in the end and felt a certain degree of satisfaction, one more game to remove from the to-do list ;)
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well....I started gaming as an adult, so I've always had the wherewithal to buy anything that I wanted. There have been some memorable times though.

One of the biggest was waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for the day that Ocarina Of Time would be released. Months of reading about it in magazines. The day was a magic one that I took my copy home from the store and got to open the box, read the manual and put the cart into the N64 and pick up the controller. I actually FINALLY had Ocarina. It wasn't ALL smooth though. If you remember, for the gold edition cart you had to place a pre-order. I got onto the list at the local shop and waited. Launch day came.....and no gold cart reserved for me. Turns out that the bastard never informed me that I was on the list.....near the end of a list of nearly 100 people. I went to Walmart and bought the grey cart in semi-disappointment.

To make a long story short, he went bankrupt and I ended up running that game shop. One day someone dumped their N64 collection......and there was a pristine complete of Ocarina Gold Edition. I finally got my Gold Complete.

When I decided that my time at the shop was done, a customer gave me his Genny and copy of Shining Force as a going away gift.