Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Definitive List of PSX RPG's (Help)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Default Definitive List of PSX RPG's (Help)

I'm towards the end of reaching my goal of having all the RPGs released in english for the Playstation. I just lack a definate checklist of games to buy. I'd like to have Suikoden 2 be my last game so I want to figure this out once and for all.

I figure all RPGs can basically be broken up into three subgenres: tradtional, action, and tactical. Which kinda leaves me baffled about what to do with the monster raising anime/pokemon/cardbattler type games. So first question I ask to those who've played them: Are they RPGs?

Besides that I just ask that you look over the lists I've come up with and let me know if anything's missing. Wasn't all that long ago I discovered the King's Field clone "Shadow Tower" so it's not impossible that I've missed something.

Also I doubt it but if there were any games released in Europe but not the US, I'd like to know.

-------------------------------

Don't have:
    Alundra 2
    Chocobo's Dungeon 2
    Final Fantasy VII
    Final Fantasy VIII
    King's Field
    Ogre Battle
    Shadow Tower
    Suikoden 2
    Threads of Fate
    Digimon World
    Digimon World 2
    Digimon World 3
    Vanguard Bandits

Have:
    Alundra
    Arc the Lad Collection
    Azure Dreams
    Battle Hunter
    Beyond the Beyond
    Brave Fencer Musashi
    Breath of Fire III
    Breath of Fire IV
    Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena
    Chrono Cross
    DarkStone
    Dragon Valor
    Dragon Warrior VII
    Eternal Eyes
    Final Fantasy IX
    Final Fantasy Anthology
    Final Fantasy Chronicles
    Final Fantasy Origins
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Front Mission 3
    Grandia
    Granstream Saga, The
    Guardian's Crusade
    Harvest Moon: Back to Nature
    Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
    Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu
    Kartia: The Word of Fate
    King's Field II
    Koudelka
    Legend of Dragoon, The
    Legend of Legaia
    Legend of Mana
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
    Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
    Parasite Eve
    Parasite Eve 2
    Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
    Revelations: Persona
    Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
    RPG Maker
    SaGa Frontier
    SaGa Frontier 2
    Saiyuki Journey West
    Shadow Madness
    Star Ocean: The Second Story
    Suikoden
    Tactics Ogre
    Tales of Destiny
    Tales of Destiny 2
    Thousand Arms
    Torneko: The Last Hope
    Vagrant Story
    Valkyrie Profile
    Vandal Hearts
    Vandal Hearts II
    Wild Arms
    Wild Arms 2
    Xenogears

Spinoffs:
    Chocobo Racing
    Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring
    Digimon Digital Card Battle
    Digimon Rumble Arena
    <strike>AD&D: Iron Blood (?)</strike>
    <strike>Warhammer: Dark Omen (?)</strike>
    <strike>Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (?)</strike>

Questionable:
    <strike>Diablo</strike>
    <strike>Monster Rancher</strike>
    <strike>Monster Rancher 2</strike>
    <strike>Beyblade</strike>
    Yu-gi-oh

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think AD&D: Iron Blood sould be part of your spinoff list seeing as there isn't any dungeon and dragon RPGs for the PlayStation.

That being said. How about adding Grandia? Or are you only lloking for PS exclusives?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Ooh... nice proof read. I actually own Grandia... just must have over looked it.

And yeah I'm torn over the Warhammer and AD&D games as Spinoffs. I mean they're based on real Pen and Paper RPGs, but I was wondering whether I should stick to Console Spinoffs such as Chocobo Racing. I guess in the end I'd like to have at least the two Warhammer titles even though they're RTSs just because I do actually play Warhammer on occasion.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I think it's questionable, but what about Mega Man Legends 1 and 2?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    What about them? Keep in mind I probably haven't played your suggesions so I need to know what makes them an RPG in your opinion.

Do the Legend games play like the RPG Battle Network titles, or are they more akin to the platformers with added RPG elements (ala the new Castlevanias)?

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    What about them? Keep in mind I probably haven't played your suggesions so I need to know what makes them an RPG in your opinion.

Do the Legend games play like the RPG Battle Network titles, or are they more akin to the platformers with added RPG elements (ala the new Castlevanias)?

I was thinking about mentioning them too, but I don't think it'd be that big deal if you over looked them. They do sort of play out like an action RPG with the use of menus and all. Though alot of 3D action games did during that timeline did.

However.. Now that Megaman has been brought up. Maybe you sould look into the Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I believe it's a strategy game.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I think it would be a HUGE stretch to include Mega Man Legends. It's already a stretch to include games like Harvest Moon, I think. o_O You gotta make a cut off somewhere or you'll end up getting into "Well, you do PLAY a ROLE in Super Mario Bros." :P

Anyway, I don't have much of anything to contribute since I don't notice any omissions (but I am sleepy and lazy, so don't take my word on it :P ), but I just wanted to say congratulations for getting so close to your goal. I'm aiming for the same thing, but I'm not half as close. Luckily, I already have most of the rare, valuable, and/or highest quality RPGs. I just need some expendable funds so I can get back to collecting (not to mention some time to play all these damn games :P ).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You forgot one of my all-time favorites: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. Another one you missed is Darkstone, a Diablo clone of sorts. http://psx.ign.com/articles/163/163672p1.html.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm pretty sure Broken Sword, and Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror are RPGs

EDIT: There's also Dark Stone, Crusaders of Might & Magic, since you are including strategy you might consider Civilization 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with Blood Omen, if you are putting Diablo on there. Way more RPG elements there.

And about all of your questionable ones: I think it's safe to say that they are not RPGs. Yes, they are Japanese and very tedious, but that doesn't make it an RPG. :P

These are ultra collecting games that do (at least in Yu-Gi-Ohs case) put you through some sort of miserable story, but are basically an adaptation of a card game, plain and simple. I wouldn't put a poker game on the list, especially not a children's version.

Sorry to YuGiOh fans, but the only role you are playing is "card collector." Don't feel bad if you don't have the space or money to waste on those.

But whatever, that's just one vote for "no."
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Aren't the warhammers RTS games?

I think legened of legaia would go well on that list along with ff7, ff7 is ok but not great.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. That collection of yours is hella impressive. Makes my collection of 30 feel small. It's (almost ) discouraging to know I have 30 + more to go. I've never seen a truly definitive list myself and it's because of the grey area titles. Some say Castlevania SOTN qualifies because of RPG elements, though I disagree. One of my idiosynchracies also dictates that the list be Japanese developer only - no PC/P&P RPG ports, but that's just me. It just gives me a clearer goal to shoot for. Good luck.
    I had a lovers quarrel with the world.
    -Robert Frost

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CasualCoreGamer
    One of my idiosynchracies also dictates that the list be Japanese developer only - no PC/P&P RPG ports, but that's just me. It just gives me a clearer goal to shoot for.
    That's a pretty good way to draw the line. Once you start including stuff like Diablo, it opens the gates to just about any adventure game with slight RPG elements (like Blood Omen and Castlevania).

I'd personally slim it down even further, taking out Zelda-style adventure games like Alundra (but I'm still collecting those anyway 'cause they're fun :) ). My main goal is to get all the Japanese traditional RPGs, non-traditional RPGs (like real-time stuff such as Star Ocean and oddities like Valkyrie Profile), and strategy RPGs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by The_EniGma
    Aren't the warhammers RTS games?
    Yes they are. But Warhammer it's self is the board game equivilent of any strategy RPG, especially when you start to get into the RPG campaign add-ons like "Warhammer Quest". But I dunno if I'm sold on getting the PSX versions or not. Most likely not. I didn't enjoy playing them so I guess that's the real descion maker. No use buying a game you're not sure you even want if you didn't even like it.

I also own Darkstone, but like Grandia I seem to have overlooked it.

I'd care not to shoot for Japanese RPGs only because well I like PC RPGs too. When you get into the newer consoles that means I can't count nearly all my XboX rpgs. And when looking at the PSX it axes Shadow Madness, a Japanese style American made game, and then you lose all it's fascinating ties to the Final Fantasy series... and.. and... heh. Just don't want to do that. Afterall Americans did invent the genre, even if the Japanese have embraced it.

I also own Broken Sword, but it's an adventure point and click title, not an RPG.

And I guess you guys have a point about Diablo, guess I really don't need that one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default One more maybe two...

I've got a similar PS1 RPG collection. The only one that I would add to your list, other than those already mentioned, is Monsterseed. Haven't actually played it but it has come up on some of the RPG lists I have seen. Also rpgclassics.com lists Silhouette Mirage as an RPG.
    I stopped trying to guess at what genre many of these titles were as my collection got larger, and just started collected all the marginal titles as well...

Trebuken

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Ooooh... never even heard of Monsterseed.

*rushes off to look it up*

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: One more maybe two...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken
    I've got a similar PS1 RPG collection. The only one that I would add to your list, other than those already mentioned, is Monsterseed. Haven't actually played it but it has come up on some of the RPG lists I have seen. Also rpgclassics.com lists Silhouette Mirage as an RPG.
    I stopped trying to guess at what genre many of these titles were as my collection got larger, and just started collected all the marginal titles as well...

Trebuken
    Silhouette mirage definitely isn't an RPG; It's a 2D side-scroller. Also, You forgot Dragonseeds, which might be related to that Monsterseed game that was just mentioned. Oh, and the Digimon games are definitely RPG's. They're also quite good, beleive it or not!
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Welp monster seed's out of the way.

*looks up Dragonseeds next*

Ok looks like Dragonseed really shouldn't be included unless I also include the Monster Rancher games as well.

Do either games have any sort of town roaming/dungeon exploration elements? Or is it all fight/breed/fight/breed/rinse/repeat type gameplay?

Monster Seed at least appears to have that RPG type filler inbetween fighting and breeding. That and I'll buy just about any disc based game complete for $10.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

DOUBLE POST

Okay I looked up Digimon and it's actually pretty cool. Digimon World is another breeding Monste Rancher type of game. Digimon World 2 starts leaning towards a monster raising RPG hybrid and Digimon World 3 is flat out RPG only.

So looks like I might as well buy all 3.

And then there's the spinoffs, Digimon Digital Card Battle, and Digimon Rumble Arena. Which if I'm going to have Ehrgeiz and Chocobo Racing I might as well get.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi about 4+ years ago the official playstation magazine had a write up on all psx rpgs if I recall they wrote a little something on 78 games. That magazine would be the one to get. That is what started me on my psx rpg collection.

You can orded back issues of it I just cant remember the month and year. I do remember the on the cover was the main character of virtual fighter 4 the was looking upward.
    I wore that magazine out. when I find out the issue # I am going to order another one just for my collection. I have it somewhere around here I will keep looking. Trust me worth every penny.

Good Luck
    neo geo system