Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FOUND "Drac's Night Out" NES prototype w/ labels

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default FOUND "Drac's Night Out" NES prototype w/ labels

Hi everyone, I have stumbled upon an NES prototype of the game "Drac's Night Out" and I'm probably going to be putting it on eBay cause I need money but from my research, I have found that only 1 other copy of this cart is known to exist...and that one does not have a label on it like the one I found...so I want to make sure this cart is documented in the gaming world before I get rid of it....anyone know a good way to do this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

there was one of those on ebay a couple of weeks ago i think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there was, auction had a ton of ofther nes games in it as well and whole auction went for $65. Thats a reproduction most likely, worth $30-50

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PDorr3
    Thats a reproduction most likely, worth $30-50
    That's what I was going to ask. Is it a reproduction with a fan-made label or is that the real publisher's label? If that label is official, then that is quite an interesting find. On the other hand if it's nothing more than repro with a homemade label, then that cart is nothing special. Still it would be nice to be able to play that game on an actual system.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell i wouldn't mind buying it myself if the price was right.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

The fact that the corners of the label are squared off has me suspicious. I would definitely like to learn more about where this game was found, etc. Right now my vote goes towards "repro".

Chris

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think it's a reproduction, the label is nice and glossy with no sign of it being homemade. I haven't opened it yet, but the cart is a little heavier than other carts, and there is no back label with the the "caution" on it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The higher quality reproductions have a layer of adhesive tape over the printed sticker to give it the glossy sheen found on commercial cart labels. I should know, I've supplied the stuff to most of the repro guys I know of.

The corners of the label look too squarish compared to say.. Super Mario Bros. 2 or another Nintendo licensed product. Whoever did the label didn't trim it rounded enough.

The art does look nice though, wonder where they got it. Probably a scan from a magazine review or advertisement.

What's really wierd is finding something like this in a flea market.. you usually get these sort of things because you want them made specifically for yourself, so in theory you don't just dump them on a table in some dust market.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Someone took a pic of my label from CGE and copied it. That is what the "real label" looks like, but it's still a repro. No one would know what that label would have looked like if they did not see the Drac's label I have.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default label

i see your point about the square corners, but is it possible that the label is a prototype too? I mean if this game was never released, and the artwork was still in development, then there wouldn't be official labels. The rounded labels are only on mass produced carts, which this is not.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

another thing, the emphasis on the Reebok pump in the artwork also makes me think it's real. "The Game that Pumps You Up"....why would you care to advertise for Reebok if it were a homemade label...the Reebok Pump is the center piece of the label artwork because it was featured in the game. I've googled it and seen some of the homemade labels for this game and they look nothing like this one.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ande: did you not read what I wrote? I have a label of that game based on the real label. Someone took a pic of my cart and made a label from it. Simple as that. There is no "prototype" label for it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say fake/repro. The weight of the cart means nothing since a repro would be heavy also - those eproms weigh more.

The label regardless of whether it looks like DreamTR's cart is not a typical label for a proto. Generally it is handwritten or a very cheap label not a full-color, complete process (with plastic coating) final label. If it did get printed full process, it should have the round corners and not square.

Nope sorry I declare shenanigans. I stumble across 'protos' in my workshop all the time as quite a few people here will tell you. They take about $50 worth of tools and maybe $10 in materials to make. Just open the cart up and take a good picture of the board as well as closeup of the numbers on the eproms and I can tell definitively since I still have reference pictures on a CD around here from when I dumped the original proto of Drac's Night Out a few years back.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ok

Yea I'll open it today and put the pics on here so you guys can see it. But the big question for me is, why would someone put all that work into a homemade cart, and then leave it for me to find in a heap of crap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default One more point

Another thing, why would it not have a back label? If someone made their own, then whatever cart they used to make the repro WOULD have the back "Caution" label, unless they peeled it off (a very clean peel with no residue i may add)....why? If you were making a repro, wouldn't you keep that label on it to make it seem more authentic. Someone said that protos usually have shabby labels, well protos are not usual at all, so there is no rule of thumb. Who knows how Parker Brothers does things. Maybe they needed to whip up a cart to show Reebok so they could okay it. And as far as the guy who says someone stole his pic of the label and used it to make it, I say B.S., ever since I came across this, I've been googling dracs night out like mad, and never have i found this picture. None of this matters though, as soon as i get the gamebit later today ill be able to see inside i cant wait....ill post the pics here when i do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ande3502
    But the big question for me is, why would someone put all that work into a homemade cart, and then leave it for me to find in a heap of crap.
    He probably made the cart, and sold it to somebody else. Something might have happened to the person who bought it (stopped collecting, went away for a while and his mom cleaned out his room, etc..) could have dumped it somewhere.
    There are many ways a repro could end up in a flea market.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PICS!

Okay here are some pics, I'm pretty certain it's real now, check it out....

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Haha, everyone got OWNED (including me).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst
    Haha, everyone got OWNED (including me).

Not really. It is a standard eprom board that is populated depending on what is needed. It is the same as I recall Drac being on but I am at work and would have to check some old CDs as I dumped the game over 4 years ago.

My point is I can make an exact duplicate of that. Plenty of those boards are floating around (Acclaim selling out for example). The back label can easily be cleaned off, the front label has already been discussed. $50 for a burner and $12 of blank eproms is all that is required after that.

I however can tell you that while I don't remember the exact label that the Drac's proto I dumped had at the moment it certainly was not a full color plastic label therefore I can speak for what Parker Bros did with the original of the cart you supposedly have.

**** I would go on but lunch is over and I want to look for the pics first. The coincidence of one sold on ebay and this one appearing within 10 days is pretty overwhelming that nobody has any idea of the history of this and can't prove it's legitimacy one way or the other.****

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default more pics