View Poll Results: Which was the best Pre-E3 conference?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Microsoft

8 17.02%
  • Sony

19 40.43%
  • Nintendo

20 42.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, which Pre-E3 Press Conference was the best?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Default Ok, which Pre-E3 Press Conference was the best?

By now a lot of you have seen all three press conferences, but which one did you think was the best?

I think MS is clearly on top. The Xbox 360 press conference was entertaining and informative. Lex Luther did an amazing job, as did peter moore. The whole Square-Enix thing was a great moment as was the announcement of backwards compatibility.

Sony was second. They did a good job showing off the PS3 (except the crappy controller) and the tech demo's were interesting. I found it a little more bland then the 360 conference, but not bad.

Nintendo's conference was a real disappointement for me. Mostly the conference just showed off more of the same and offered little information on the Revolution aside from the fact that it looks like a DVD drive that's been painted glossy black and it can play all classic nintendo games through an online service, which we were pretty sure it was gonna have anyways. Even the Nintendogs segment wasn't all that great. Not to mention how short it was.

This was an important E3 not just because it's the last before the new generation, but because the next gen will be all out war. Microsoft and Sony brought their A game. Nintendo didn't. It's NOT very often you'll hear me take Sony over Nintendo, but this time i don't have a choice. Ninetndo was a poor showing. A big disappointment. Even reggie couldn't save it.

So let the fighting begin!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

You should change the poll to "Who is Your Favorite Company" because I guarantee you that's what it's going to become anyway.

Regardless, I pretty much agree with your post. I think MS is looking really good and said a lot of really good things. Of course, it stands to be seen what will actually happen, but I think MS had the best E3 press conference.

And good for 'em. Someone needs to shake Sony up a little.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    You should change the poll to "Who is Your Favorite Company" because I guarantee you that's what it's going to become anyway.
    Actually not true. I voted for Sony, and if I picked my favorite company it would have been Nintendo. Sony delivered for me, Nintendo did not. I didn't expect them to though. They've gave me enough to be excited but they didn't blow me away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah, my favorite company is Nintendo but I voted for Sony. Nintendo's follow up to Microsoft and Sony was very... boring and lackluster. GBA Micro? No thanks!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Hey, prove me wrong! That's cool with me!

It just seems like these type of things always start with good intentions and end up in fanboy dogpiles fast enough to make your head spin.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Njiska is correct here, but at least the Nintendo show was better than the 15 minute one they had at E3 2003, Nintendo's 2004 show was way better than this one though, I'm sure they'll be able to deliver with the revolution, it looks nicer than I was expecting but that’s about all they really showed.

E3's about showing and out showing the other guy with lots and lots of Bullshit and that usually makes for an exciting show which Sony and Microsoft took advantage of and Nintendo failed to do but just because you had a bad showing doesn't mean you’re going to release a bad product and vice versa.

Microsoft’s show, probably the best in my opinion anyways, didn't really show anything new that we hadn't already seen on May 12 in some form. The show did do 3 important things though, it showed off the new Xbox 360 live features, it confirmed backwards compatibility which is a very important thing in today’s video games industry and they announced the Square-Enix involvement which doesn't surprise me or most people here. They’re finally a developer for every console and handheld the way they should have been last Gen and the one before that. The Xbox 360 seems to also be able to link up with Apple’s iPod and Sony’s PSP which surprised me a bit although you can use a PSP as a memory card for the original Xbox so I guess it’s not that surprising.

As for Sony's conference they in many ways are the only company that showed a lot of new things, although they still rely on the specs of their system to much with stupid fancy marketing gimmicks, come on RSX "Reality Synthesizer" for their graphics chip! That’s a bit of turn off for me. In this day and age the Specs aren't going to matter as much and as such I didn't see Microsoft or Nintendo boasting about their specs, it's all about the game and functionality at this point. Anyways Sony showed a lot of really nice pre-rendered video based upon what the PS3 is suppose to be able to do, nice PS1 compatibly and a whole lot of interfaces (3 Gigabit Ethernet Ports?). I'm a little surprised at how early this console is shipping; Sony must be taking a hit based upon what the system specs are. They mostly ignored the PSP for some reason. Oh and they unveiled one of the worst looking controllers in history with no new functionality except for it being wireless, they should have stuck with Dual-Shock. Overall a very nice conference and belongs in the number 2 spot.
    Why don't you go play in the other room. Why don't you BURN IN HELL!! - Stewie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I liked the Sony & the Ms conference equally. Fanboyism is not my style. I didnt catch the Nintendo one yet though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    njiska

Anyone else find it odd that nintendo has 6 votes for best, despite the fact that their conference was horrible and nobody has dared to post here claiming the honestly thought it was the best?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe it's b/c I supported Windows for a living for so long, but when Microsoft speaks, my butt cringes up. I didn't like their speech. Too much bullshit.

-Halo 2 had the biggest single day in entertainment history (this is just wrong)
    -We will "reach" 1 billion people with our medium (this is just confusing)
    -6 of the top 10 games right now are Xbox games (source?)

Not that Sony's and Nintendo's weren't bullshit free... just didn't stink as bad.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being unable to go to E3 myself, the only thing I really want out of the conferences is news. I don't care if MS hired a billion actors. I don't care if Sony rigged the floor to have systems come up out of it. I don't care if Nintendo... err, they didn't do anything flashy.

News-wise, Sony did the most. We got real specs (still tenative, of course, but we have em now) on the PS3, and some really impressive title announcements. They've sold me already.

MS would have done a lot better had they not tooted their horn on TV a few days ago. Yeah, Square Enix making games for them is news, but a port of a THREE YEAR OLD game is NOT impressive. (Yes, FFXI game out three years ago. 05/16/02.)

Nintendo did what was expected. They talked about their new system but didn't give much real information. The size is impressive. I like that. I hope they get some good games. The GB Micro is neat, but doesn't matter too much since the DS is already out.

Now to just wait for more actual new game information...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know one thing. The worst was definitely Nintendo. Anybody that voted for Nintendo as the best is definitely a die hard Nintendo Fanboy because there is no freaking way any unbiased individual could come to that conclusion.

Personally I very much dislike Sony, but I voted for them, just because I think that the video of Killzone and Fight Night 3 basically showed everyone that the PS3 is going to be the clear technological leader.

That doesn't mean that Sony is going to win this next console battle, but I think that ultimately the feeling coming out of this e3 is that the PS3 is the next gen system to get.

As for Nintendo, that was one of the most depressing press conferences that I have ever seen from them.

I mean, what the hell did Nintendo show at their press conference that was anything special?

Zelda?

Man, even Zelda looked dissapointing to me. Of course I'm not a hardcore Nintendo Fanboy, but still.

As for XBOX, I think one of the big problems with the XBOX's press conference is all the people that they had sitting behind J.Allard that were payed money to clap and cheer and act like they were totally hyped. It was a little too contrived. Also, I just feel like alot of the 360's thunder was stolen once that Killzone PS3 video was displayed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i voted for SNK, now thats a fanboy

actually i voted for Sony. I think Microsoft has taken a step backwards as far as i am concerned. Nintendo didnt really do much of anything, neither bad nor good.

The most surprising news of the day for me was that Adam Sessler (or his writer) actually put together a rational line of thought. He basically said that Nintendo should forget about being first and just try to be the second choice. Release their system at a more affordable price point and rely on their franchises to make solid games at a steady pace.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imho, Sony had their shit together as always

Mircosoft...so-so

Nintendo, most impressive indeed
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was one of those crazy people that voted for Nintendo, and here is why:

I didn't actually watch or listen to the press conferences. I get my news after the fact. Nintendo, while not revealing much of anything about the Revolution was able to really get people interested in it and it's features, and there is definitely some anticipation of "what the hell is this thing!?!" going on now.

Sony basically showed their whole hand. The PS3 looks great, but now all of the main features about it are known. Both Nintendo and Microsoft now have direct things they can gun for. Nintendo didn't leave themselves open for that. Sony said that their system is the most powerful, but we haven't seen the Revolution's specs yet.

Microsoft basically touted the upgrades to everything they are already doing, and the power of the Xbox 360, which didn't look half as impressive as the difference in PS2 to 3.

So, while Sony and Microsoft showed the most stuff for people to get excited for, I think that Nintendo's laid back, not really announcing much of anything too much could be the real winner here. I would expect to hear some more out of them in the next few days. And if so, then they could really steal the show and a lot of thunder.

It's too late for Sony or Microsoft to do that. They've already shown their hands. Now, we're waiting to see if Nintendo is bluffing or was sitting on pocket aces...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I was one of those crazy people that voted for Nintendo, and here is why:

I didn't actually watch or listen to the press conferences. I get my news after the fact. Nintendo, while not revealing much of anything about the Revolution was able to really get people interested in it and it's features, and there is definitely some anticipation of "what the hell is this thing!?!" going on now.

Sony basically showed their whole hand. The PS3 looks great, but now all of the main features about it are known. Both Nintendo and Microsoft now have direct things they can gun for. Nintendo didn't leave themselves open for that. Sony said that their system is the most powerful, but we haven't seen the Revolution's specs yet.

Microsoft basically touted the upgrades to everything they are already doing, and the power of the Xbox 360, which didn't look half as impressive as the difference in PS2 to 3.

So, while Sony and Microsoft showed the most stuff for people to get excited for, I think that Nintendo's laid back, not really announcing much of anything too much could be the real winner here. I would expect to hear some more out of them in the next few days. And if so, then they could really steal the show and a lot of thunder.

It's too late for Sony or Microsoft to do that. They've already shown their hands. Now, we're waiting to see if Nintendo is bluffing or was sitting on pocket aces...

sorry if i take the card analogy too far here, but you dont sit on pocket aces. you want to get you money in the pot with the best cards, and you dont want people with lesser cards (or technology) sucking out on you.

basically if Nintendo has the goods they need to put it out there and let people get excited. Nintendogs and Pokemon arent going to put them back at number 1
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I would expect to hear some more out of them in the next few days. And if so, then they could really steal the show and a lot of thunder.
    Hi, I'm a Nintendo fanboy too. I'm just rational, that's all. Don't get upset when I say this, but...

Man you sound EXACTLY like those Nintendo fanboys on Nintendo's forums.

"E3 is not over, wait, then make your opinion on the Rev"

Maybe my memory just isn't too good, but I don't remember any hardware manufacturer revealing more info as E3 progressed. Nintendo's moment was that press conference. That's all they're going to show.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Sony did exactly what you're supposed to do at a press conference of this nature: Create hype.

Microsoft as well, just not with the effectiveness of Sony.

Nintendo didn't do a damn thing.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's too early to make a final decision on who had the best next gen showing just yet. E3 still has just begun after all.

However, when it comes to the current consoles and their lineup of games then I have to go with Nintendo. With games like Mario DS, Mario & Luigi 2, two new Fire Emblems, and the new Zelda coming out I'd be hard pressed to see Sony and Microsoft make a better "current console" showing.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shai hulud
    sorry if i take the card analogy too far here, but you dont sit on pocket aces. you want to get you money in the pot with the best cards, and you dont want people with lesser cards (or technology) sucking out on you.
    Actually, it all depends on what you are playing, and how you're playing it. I play cards a lot, and not betting when you have a hand that can't lose until after someone else has (or check-betting) can be a great way to get more money out of another player.

For instance, if you have had four cards played in Texas Hold 'Em, and you are sitting on the highest full-house possible but in the first or second betting position, a smart player may check hoping that someone else bets, because they realize that a quick bet by them would just cause everyone else to fold, thus netting them less money overall.

Sometimes, sitting on your cards bites you in the rear end too, but that's a chance that you have to take. I think that Nintendo is sitting on their cards for a little while, and I don't think it is a horrible idea to do so right now.

Remember, Sony released all of the specs on the Playstation 2 on 9.9.99. Maybe Nintendo is going to wait for the final Revolution specs until the Xbox release date when they can show that their console has a lot more in store. It could bite them, or it could be the best move they've made.

basically if Nintendo has the goods they need to put it out there and let people get excited. Nintendogs and Pokemon arent going to put them back at number 1
    I agree, which means that Nintendo needs to have the goods ready to deliver for people to be excited. Sony especially can talk all the talk they want because they are already in the number one spot. Perhaps Nintendo had more footage of the Revolution that they were going to show, but they axed it because they realized it didn't measure up to the PS3 and they want to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by poopnes
    Hi, I'm a Nintendo fanboy too. I'm just rational, that's all. Don't get upset when I say this, but...
    Hi. I'm really not a Nintendo fanboy, as I think many of my other posts on here prove. It's just that in this case I think that less could be more.

Microsoft and Sony showed what seems to be everything that they intend to do all at once. Nintendo held back. At the end of this month, the gaming mags will all have information about the PS3 and the Xbox 2 (I am temporarily refusing to use the 360 name, although I'll start soon enough...) on their covers. In comparison, the Revolution won't get as much press.

If Nintendo keeps revealing things at a laid back pace, they can keep getting a lot of press every month. The "play all Nintendo games" thing was huge for the general population, if not for collectors. That will make the Revolution have a HUGE library immediately.

Now, lets say that over the next couple days fo the show, Nintendo reveals a handful of games that look to be graphically equal to the PS3. That would be very interesting indeed...

Now, over the next six months, Nintendo makes one or two major announcements every month, causing magazines to run news stories like, "First pictures of the Revolution controller!" "More details about Nintendo's online plans revealed!" "Revolution to be equal in power to the PS3!" "Squarenix developing new Final Fantasy game for the Revolution! Screens inside!"

Suddenly, Nintendo is grabbing most of press about their system. Sony and Microsoft already have most of their headline grabbing details released. Nintendo has the chance to really hype themselves much more than the others.

Of course, they very well could drop the ball. To me, it seems like it is the best strategy.

Man you sound EXACTLY like those Nintendo fanboys on Nintendo's forums.

"E3 is not over, wait, then make your opinion on the Rev"

Maybe my memory just isn't too good, but I don't remember any hardware manufacturer revealing more info as E3 progressed. Nintendo's moment was that press conference. That's all they're going to show.
    I would be surprised if at least one or two more details don't trickle out about the system, and really -- if Nintendo can hype up the GameCube like crazy, it probably won't even matter. Nintendo has some great things happening for the GameCube (finally), mostly in the way of Zelda, but they could grab attention for their now stuff and then slowly reveal the stuff for later. Will they do this? I don't know. Does it sound like a good idea? I think it does.

That isn't the fanboy in me speaking (who, by the way, would align with the Xbox since I adore Jeff Minter's work and own a Jag CD and NUON with VLM's on them, and Unity will probably be coming to the Xbox 2 now...), that's just the person stepping back and examining this as a business. Nintendo could have an interesting strategy that may just work. Sony and Microsoft already have their strategies out there, and they both look all right but I can see weaknesses in both. So my vote remains Nintendo.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    Sony did exactly what you're supposed to do at a press conference of this nature: Create hype.

Microsoft as well, just not with the effectiveness of Sony.

Nintendo didn't do a damn thing.
    sorry but if you think Nintendo didn't create a hype than you are wrong, just look at the net, it's FULL of talk about the Revolution, every Revolution topic gets twice as many posts as the 360 and PS3 topics
    -Jan