Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not-a-f**kin-gen! Another Media Game Rant!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default not-a-f**kin-gen! Another Media Game Rant!

Once again we have another form of media against gaming, this time in a girly mag, which my sister showed me earlier today.

These articles just piss me off!

I guess all of us DP'ers better just raise our hands and accept arrest to the nearest police station! (j/k)

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hey asshole this is important...we as gamers are being screwed by our government and we can easily fix it....this is official beeatch, not a rant or my opinion....this is fact.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive been playing rise of the triads and mk2 since i was only 5 and i havent wanted to kil lanyone. Now gimme your damn wallet before i shoot 20 heatseeker missles at you and make your eyeballs popout before kicking your head off and shouting "FATALITY!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... (edited)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ooops dude sorry, i thought you were talin shit about my last post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ande3502
    ooops dude sorry, i thought you were talin shit about my last post
    appology accepted...

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye.. its bullshit. Its much more behind it when ppl go crazy, not only games. Usualy drugs and heavy family problems, abuse etc..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

, the first point in that orange box is the best! :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"COULD YOUR COLLEGE INTO A MURDERER?"

What kind of idiot prints this bloody Engrish esque title in an article? Thats enough to discredit the entire article, even for people who believe anything. Kind of funny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    "COULD YOUR COLLEGE INTO A MURDERER?"
    I don't know if you are kidding, but the full title was "Could your college gaming geek turn into a murderer?"

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

It's because the article is a spread (ie. two pages). The title makes sense when the pages are side by side.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since he was inspired by the "manual", and not the gameplay itself, we should ban reading.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dear Ms. Laura Kennedy,

Please, for the love of all that is holy, STOP BEATING ME.

Sincerely,

A Dead Horse.

"First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Right, thats it! I'm cancelling my subscription to Cosmogirl!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I like the white box information (on page two) better.

"Only last month, Jeff Weise, 17, shot a security guard, teacher and five pupils in Red Lake, Minnesota, USA. He idolised the teens who perpetrated the 1999 Columbine school shootings and who were big gaming fans. He was also known for talking about death and fellow pupils described the morbid, game-like sketches he penned."

Ok, so let me get this straight. First of all, no where in that articles does it say that Jeff Weise ever played a videogame in his life. He killed (supposedly) because he idolized some other killers, who were gamers. Did I just read that right? Wow, what a connection! I wonder how well that would hold up in court! But no, even more proof is provided -- his stick man drawings of people having their heads blown off and I don't even know what the fuck the picture in the bottom left hand corner is, it looks like a guy gnawing his own hand off) were "game-like". Ok first there have been 50 E3 posts this week, and those stick people drawings don't look anything like any game I've seen. If I bought a game that looked like that I would be super pissed. Even the shockwave games here on DP look better than that.

The only thing lacking from that little blurb was the fact that he was wearing black, because as we all know all homicidal teens wear black all the time.

If someone called a help line and turned me in for an unhealthy gaming obsession I would go along with it and then when I got to counseling I'd be like, "man do you have any mushrooms because they make you BIG and oh god the green ones give you a free man ... hey are you a koopa? I SAID ARE YOU KING KOOPA?!?!?!??"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Before you go nuts with the first part of my post read the whole thing

Personally I agree with all the negative press surrounding games

I don’t think we need games where you portray gang members - or murderers -- the next step is serial killing and raping -- watch - that’s my prediction

I also believe that there are responsible people that can play these games and not be affected by them

When I look at games today I see mostly extremely graphic violence - even in kiddy looking plat formers (ratchet and clank) -- and military games

I think there is too much of them

Unfortunately it’s something that sells real well --

what I hate seeing is children buying these games - and I mean children - or their parents -- im happy to see that some employees in game stores actualy refuse to sell to children or to parents for their children (and boy do some of the parents get mad - because they don’t care and its just another hassle to go to another store to get it)

there are people that do get negatively affected by these games -- hell im one of them and so are all my friends my boss their wives (if they play games) -- they have all desensitized us - gore is nothing but entertainment now -- you see a horrendous accident on the highway and everybody wants to slow down to check it out - some people laugh - some people barely gasp - and I would guarantee that most do not vomit -- but back to my point

there are children that do get negatively affected by these types of games - I’ve seen it -- they pretend to be a killer or gangster - or a pimp - I don’t think children should play those kinds of games - and I wont let mine do that ( partly why I have all these simpler and nicer games)

Yes I know super Mario brothers can be considered violent but it’s not the same as playing a character in first person and shooting life like people

Basically -- ideally I think they shouldn’t be made - and if they will be I think less should be made --

Do I play these games - for the most part no - but some I do -- halo would be a good example of a violent game I like - you fighting aliens and I can stomach that more than shooting at cops or other people. I’m not saying I totally stay away from them. They are available and sometime I get one – but if they totally disappeared – I wouldn’t mind either

It’s foolish to believe that these things do not affect people and children - just because you turned out all right doesn’t mean the next person did

You also have to consider other external factors -- they also play a part in turning someone nuts - games can be one of them -- not the only thing - but one of them.

This type of hype also boils down to being afraid of your neighbor. “I’m fine but what about my neighbors they could be nuts – things like this game could set them off.” – this will always be around – and not every one will pay attention to it – don’t worry they are not going to take your games away – but it may become a part of profiling criminals once a few more events of killers saying games made them do it.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

If you're against them makking the games violent and believe they affect people, then your rant should include movies, evening news, comics, rap music, and books (and etc.). If not, your point is void. You can't just look at one medium and blame it on everything. If you don't want games that portray gang members, then you shouldn't want movies and TV shows that do the same.

If I enjoy playing these games, I have a right to play them just as much as the people creating them have that right. Something will always set a crazy nutjob off. Sometimes it will be a game, sometimes it will be a movie.

That's where the whole "BAN EVERYTHING" argument comes into play and that's wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

I blame Jazz.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    If you're against them makking the games violent and believe they affect people, then your rant should include movies, evening news, comics, rap music, and books (and etc.). If not, your point is void. You can't just look at one medium and blame it on everything. If you don't want games that portray gang members, then you shouldn't want movies and TV shows that do the same.

If I enjoy playing these games, I have a right to play them just as much as the people creating them have that right. Something will always set a crazy nutjob off. Sometimes it will be a game, sometimes it will be a movie.

That's where the whole "BAN EVERYTHING" argument comes into play and that's wrong.
    But in video games you actually DO IT instead of just hearing/seeing in step by step excruciating detail. Since you actually get to DO IT in the games THEY MUST BE TEACHING ALL OUR KIDS TO BECOME SERIAL KILLERS AND RAPISTS AND WIFE BEATERS!!!!!

SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

[/sarcasm]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Oh my god, I played more then an hour, I guess Im going to kill someone. Why do we always need a excuse for people like Jeff Weiss. The fact of the matter is that some people have problems, and some people act out violently too these problems. Its like trying to find a logical reason for 9/11, or columbine etc etc etc. These media "rants" are becoming less and less of rants and are becoming what the vast majority of people consider to be truth. It all depends on the media outlets spin on the story as to who is going to be at fault, because everyone has become a victim and isnt responsible for their own actions in the sight of the mass majority. This stuff pisses me off because parents think they have no accountibility of their own kids anymore, that the schools will teach them. Just watch this is going to effect videogames in some way soon and not just for the people that are under 18.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew