Thread: Are there any good games based on DUNE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Are there any good games based on DUNE

I love the books, especially the first couple from Herbert and the many of the books by his son. I actually loved the movie (didn't like any of the mini-series) and I am waiting for the "Director's Cut" with extended footage (I've seen the extended movie on VHS until my stupid-ass friend lost it.) I even like the original movie WITH the cuts but I do think the extended version makes more sense.

I've been thinking for some time about getting the Sega Genesis version of DUNE: The Battle of Arrakis, the Sega CD version of DUNE, or the PSone game DUNE 2000, but I have no idea if they are any good. Are they the same with more footage on the Sega CD version? Totally different? Do they draw from the movies or books? (Judging from the CD game's cover, it comes from the movie.) How do they play? Are they steeped in the Dune universe or are they just a couple of strategy games where some of the factions are named "Atredies" or "Harkkonen" or some crap like that? How's the learning curve? What the hell is DUNE 2000 for the PSone? Some game that has nothing to do with the books OR movies?

Anyone played them? Which one is better? I can't find any good reviews of either Sega game. Gamespot doesn't seem to like DUNE 2000. http://www.gamespot.com/ps/strategy/...00/review.html

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis for the Megadrive is a RTS game, and a fairly decent one. You mine spice, build vehicles etc.

Dune for the Mega CD is an entirely different game, and better, I feel. It is much more grounded in the story and is kind of part adventure game, part strategy. You have to find your way around the planet and recruit people to your cause, whilst attempting to keep the emperor happy with regular shipments of spice.

It's bloody hard though!!

I have no idea about the PS1 game ...

Vroomfunkel
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To begin this time with the PS version. It's basicly a Command and Conquer game just in the world of Dune (it's from Westwood). Nothing that special, but if you're fan of C&C you will like it, also a good point was the link-cable support if I remeber well.

Now personally I have much better memories to the Sega versions. Dune II was a great game back when it was released and I still love this early RTS game. I also loved Dune for Mega-CD as it's more adventure and story then the other two versions. I just bought a brand new copy yesterday just to play it again. So I would recommand you the Sega-Cd version, although the other two are no bad choices either.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked the Sega-CD adventure one. I believe it was also released for the PC, Atari ST and Amiga, if you're looking to see what it's like.

I'm not a huge fan of the books, so I can't comment on if it 100% follows them or not. However, the game's music is awesome, definitely in the top 10 videogame soundtracks of all time, IMHO.

The original RTS one is fun too, but there's not a lot of connection with the books.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the PC versions of the dune games released on the sega systems were better - especialy the sega cd one -- they are both the same game on both platforms just look better on the PC

personaly the dune games are on my favotires list - they are very good - especialy if you are a fan of dune -- the version on the PS1 i think is dune 2000 - which is an updated version of dune II:the battle for arakis - with more cinematics and story line -- i dont know about the PS1 version but i realy like the PC version

also there was another dune game released on PC -- called emperor : batle for dune - also by west wood -- ive always wanted to try it but it was sold out before i could get my hands on it and havent seen it since

more recently another dune game came out on the PC - it was called frank herberts dune -- which if i was going to compare it to another game - id compare it to metal gear solid -- even though its diferent - but its 3rd person and you have to be steatlthy and its in the dune universe - good game

you could call me biased - but becasue i like dune so much - every dune game that has come out - i realy realy liked

here is a link to a page about the latest game (i never pay attention to the reviews - also ive seen beter reviews if you pay attention to them

my review is that its great

http://pc.gamezone.com/gamesell/p17316.htm

the extended version of the lynch movie is crap - it was tv networks crime -- they found extra footage spliced it in and then made up a bunch of crap using drawings

the original lynch version of dune was almost 4 hours -- but the producers made him cut it down - to sell more tickets to make the money back (at that time it was the most expensive movie

they have been after lynch to make a directors cut dvd with the footage that was cut from the original -- the deal always seems to fall through - especialy since lynch is still pissed of about haveing to cut it down - and pissed off att that piece of crap the tv network did of his movie

so the extened version you may see on dvd - is the junck that tv netwrok made - put together by a european dvd company

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default Dune

Hey

I have read all the Dune books and I highly recommend the SegaCD version of Dune. It has plenty of cutscenes from the original movie. It is super hard though and I have restarted it at least 3 times after getting 8-10 hours into it to try and get farther into the game.

VJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dune 2 was arguably the first RTS game, or at least the first prominent one. It's been years since I played it, but it was pretty damn fine back in my Amiga days...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I've heard about that 4 hour version of the original movie before... has anyone ever seen it? I'd LOVE to see it.

I actually liked the 3 hour TV edit... I thought the illustrations and voice-over of the historical background of Dune was really cool and I'm sure that the movie was much easier to understand for those not familiar with the books. I'm sure it didn't compare with Lynch's vision, but it was darned better than the theatrical release.

It seems that most people are voting for the Sega CD game... even though it seems to be hard as heck. I love the Sega CD.... I think I'll try that one. Thanks folks!

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will put in my small cents worth of the Dune games I have played. This is basically what they are as I have most of them myself.

Dune on the PC is the same as the Sega CD one. However, the PC version looks much better. But the Sega CD version has the red book audio soundtrack. So, in essence you get the best graphics from the PC version, but the best sound from the Sega CD version. As for the difficulty of Dune, I didn't have much trouble at all beating the PC version. I actually don't own the Sega CD version but have played it several times. To me it was only more difficult because of the controllers vs keyboard effect.

Dune II for the PC and Genesis are the same game. The Genesis version had the interface changed to go with the controllers of course since Dune II on the PC uses the Mouse. But yes, Dune II is consididered to be the first real RTS type game, just like Wolfenstein 3D is the original FPS. Again, the PC version has better graphics, but also better sound over the Genesis version. At least if you had a high end audio card in your PC in the day. I actually like the Genesis version more though it doesn't look at good, because I found the interface tweaks to be more effecient on the genesis version.

Now, Dune 2000 is simply graphical update to Dune II for the PC. There was also a Dune 2000 for the PC as well as the PS1. The PC version is superior naturally as it uses better resolution and sound. The basic missions, map layouts and units are all the same as the original Dune II, but they added cutscenes with John Rhyes Davies in between some of them to keep the story moving along more.

Now the newer game "Frank Herbert's Dune" is basically a 3rd person adveture game. However, I have found it to be boring for the most part as it didn't keep my interest up enough to keep playing it. I seem to remember that I got fairly far along in the game, but then totally lost interest in it and haven't loaded it back up since. I might someday soon, just to see why I lost interest and maybe keep at it to finish it as I did the others.

I hope this more or less explains things between these versions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmm - i dont remeber any diference between the soundtracks of the original dune game - but i never played the sega cd version long enough i guess - since i like the resolution of the PC one better

but yes the sega cd version is great - its my favorite from all the games - but i belive it got bad reviews

as for the 4 hour movie -- no one has ever seen it except for the people making it - lynch finished it and delorentinis - bad spelling - made lynch cut it in half and said that the full version would be released in the future in some form -- this never happened becasue of the TV network malarchy - that pissed lynch off so much he never allowed the full version to come out - which i look at it as a slap in the face to his fans (who are the ones that pay his bills)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Emperor of Dune for the PC is by far the best Dune game I've ever played. It's like Warcraft 3 visually, but you feel so immersed in the game it's insane.

For the record, Dune 2 *was* the first RTS game.
    machine.slave

CLICK HERE!! To check out my collection for sale! Only $1500 for the lot

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was a dune for the ps2 aswell, i thnik it was an adventure type game. You should check it out. Ive been meaning to get 2000 for the ps1 myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

I've played the PC version of the Sega CD Dune game. It was great. I personally didn't find it terribly hard, but it was still a rewarding game experience for a big Dune fan such as myself.

Dune the Genesis cart's PC equivalent is Dune II: The Battle For Arrakis. I played a little of this on both PC and Genny but found it a little trickier. Someone pointed out earlier that "it's just like Command & Conquer, nothing special..." or words to that effect. I'd just like to point out the Dune II was actually the first game Westwood did using that particular game engine. In other words while C&C may be very good and popular, it owes its existence to Dune II, not the other way around.

Dune 2000 is (as has already been stated) a modernized update of Dune II. Aside from graphic enhacements it does seem to have some better functionality especially in the area of unit formation and restructuring. This is the last game I ever bought for PC, but I haven't finished it yet. I'd love to have a PS1 version if the control is okay. One really needs a mouse for these kinds of games. I never really got the hang of a gamepad with RTS's...

Does the PS1 version of Dune 2000 support some sort alternative control device like a mouse?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cant recommend you enough to get "Dune" for Genesis. Its such a wonderful strategy game (and im NOT a strategy-game fan).

Dune for Sega CD was a completely different game that I didnt enjoy and lost interest very fast....it looked like a very slow graphical adventure game...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dune 2 was my first RTS game, I actually bought it new when it came out. technically though, Herzog Zwei is really the first RTS game, although Dune 2 kind of defined things a lot more. I have DUNE 2000 for the Playstation, 2 in fact, and used to play 2 player lin games all the time with it...great fun, as was the C&C Playstation games as well. Emporer Of Dune graphically is a beautiful game, although a bit uninspired gameplay wise. I enjoyed it though...and Michael Dorn (Worf) is in it !

However, the one I REALLY would have liked to play was this one:
    http://media.pc.ign.com/media/016/016418/imgs_1.html

An Online Dune would have been cool.

Brian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imo the Amiga version of Dune has the best music (never liked CD-Audio), you can download it here: http://amigames.soundbomb.net/music/..._picq_dune.zip
    One of my favorite game soundtracks :)
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278