Thread: Could You Go Rental Only?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Could You Go Rental Only?

Lately I've been looking at my massive (six shelving units and counting!) game library, and I've been thinking, "It takes up so much room, but it would be difficult to break it up, let alone disband it all to the corners of the Earth." So then I got thinking if I could go rental games only. At first I thought, "Nah!" but I got to supposing. (Don't you hate it when that happens?) What if there was an instant game rental service, where instead of waiting some days for a game to arrive in the mail, you got the games instantly? And not just some games for some systems, but all games for all systems.

Personally, I couldn't do it. I like collecting for collecting's sake, holding onto those games I love dearly and those I played in my childhood, and I love to be able to look at my amassed games and think, "I was the one to assemble all this."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I could probably do Gamefly if I wanted to, as far as newer games go, seeing as how I could keep titles like Halo 2 as long as I wanted. As far as older games, I'm already fine with emulation, so that's not really an issue (yeah yeah, I know).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hmm...no, because gaming is all about impulses, such as "this doesn't feel...it doesn't feel like a Ninja Gaiden Shadow Moment (TM). I think this is a Castlevania II: BR moment!" Yeah, wrong example picking Game Boy games, but you get the idea. My personal route is to pick up games years after they're released on the cheap :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since I love RPGs but I can't focus in them for hours normally to go for renting only would be a problem for me. I also like it that I have my old games around so I can play them whenever I feel like. Maybe the point is also that I sell games I absolutely dislike. Mainly because to get money but it also helps to save space.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn't go back.... I have to own, it's become an obsession of sorts :P
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't rent for these reasons:

1. Where can I rent imports?

2. Where can I rent pre-PS2 games, or for that matter, older games for systems like the PS2?

3. Where can I rent obscure releases like Choro Q or Wizardry for PS2?

4. How much would it cost to rent an RPG I wanted to play vesus buying it, especially when I tend to take months to play through them?

5. Where can I rent PC games?

6. Where can I rent CD based games that have NO scratches, no dirt, and no labels on the discs that throw off the balance of the game's player?

7. Where can I find a store that always has exactly what I want to play in stock at the exact moment I want to play it? Not to mention spending time going down to the store to get it and then having to return it?

8. In the long run, would I not be putting money in someone else's pocket rather than my own? I'd end up spending as much as I do now, but on rental fees and have nothing to show for it, whereas now if I really need money, I can just sell games...
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Maxlords, see, this question I asked is what is known as a theoretical question. If you read what I wrote, I am talking about some imaginary, instant gratification rental service that carries all games for all systems (from all regions, if you didn't read into that point). So while about half your points I understand, the other half are nullified by understanding the question in full (i.e. imports, PC games, flawless discs, etc. are all covered by this uber rental store).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

I would sooner go without then go rental. I like having the choice to play a game any time I want where ever I want. I dont like the thought of renting a game I will have to return. I also doubt every system would ever be available for rent as most retail chains are streamlining twords the curent systems only. Once a new system is released from a company, everything else gets sold or thrown away. Even if I dont have to rent the systems (just the games) I am left with completely useless peices of hardware I cant use. The existing method has its flaws, but it works better then anything like rental. Actualy, the existing retail model is what truely stinks because they simply have no respect for fans of games older then 6 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by nz17
    Maxlords, see, this question I asked is what is known as a theoretical question. If you read what I wrote, I am talking about some imaginary, instant gratification rental service that carries all games for all systems
    But the rest of us like talking about things that actually could happen. :O

Well, I suppose more widespread broadband could help that...since game companies essentially want us to rent all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ongakuhenjin
    PSN
    ongakuhito

No. I have too many games, and love having lots of games to play. I love seeing them on the racks and picking them off the shelf to play. It just wouldn't be the same to rent.