Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering NBA JAM (TE)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Remembering NBA JAM (TE)

I just fired up the Saturn version earlier tonight. Man that brings back memories. While it's a crazy game nothing is sweeter for me than going for the dunk and having the two opponents jump at you -- only to lob the ball off to your wide open teammate 18 feet away from the basket.

Nothing but net. Now that's SWEET

Anywho, what do you guys think of NBA Jam (particularly the original and Tournament Edition) and do you think it's actually a "good" game, or is it a "stupid" game but one which is fun?

I can't decide how to grade Jam's gameplay. How would you grade/rank it? I do find it a lot of fun, but it's more "dumb" fun than anything else.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really liked it. I played it a lot at my local pizza place and really longed for a good port of it (only to find the SNES port to be OK.) I loved the animations and how smoothly the players where.. I want to know what the FPS on the arcade boxes where cuz they still impress me. I think after TE, it was all downhill though. I liked college jam, but it didnt help out the soon to be dead game. As different versions came out, I lost my interest but would like to see a GOOD port of it on ps2.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think its a great game. I had TE on my MegaDrive. Instead of just making a normal sports game, they added computer game elements into it. An excellent game in my opinion, enjoyable by people who don't even like basketball much at all. Oh my God, he's on fire! Anyway, i didn't think there were any real NBA Jam games after TE, i thought they changed the name and the gameplay?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Motumbo! Boom-shaka-laka!"

My friends and I used to play this game nonstop in the arcades, and promptly bought it once it came out for home systems. The list of hidden characters like the Beastie Boys, Eugene Jarvis, and Bill Clinton made that game so enjoyable.

NBA Hangtime was one of my personal must-get games for the N64 when it first came out. The fact that you could customize your character as an alien and other silly skins made for some fun gaming with your friends.

It was amazingly fun with four players, but single-player was absolute hell. The AI's "rubberbanding" really used to piss me off. No matter how good you were, unless you exploited the CPU's poor AI, their shot-making percentage would shoot to 99% and stay there until they were 10 points ahead.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ye.. it was cool when it came, but today you can hardly give the game away hehe.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

SNES. Multitap. Four players. Utter chaos!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    SNES. Multitap. Four players. Utter chaos!
    Yup

NBA Hangtime was also awesome with 4 players. The custom characters made the game really stand out, since you could just make the craziest character and do some crazy moves Both of the games really had a lot of replay value, especially when playing with friends.

I would say that it was a great game, even if the gameplay was "dumb" fun, since fun & entertainment is really all a game should be.

-Speedy
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TE was my least favorite on the Genesis because my college roommate was too good at it.

Seriously, NBA Jam is the only licensed sports game that I liked as a kid. Arcade basketball is just more fun, IMO. As a matter of fact, I have a cheap copy of Ballers for PS2 that I need to try this weekend...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I've got 4 versions of this NBA Jam TE, and you know which one is my favorite? The Sega 32x version!

It's got all the things that were missing from the 16-bit games... particularly the scaling playfield and the oversized heads. The heads aren't that big of a deal, but the scaling IS a feature that I consider important and noteworthy. It looks and plays JUST like the arcade game I remember so fondly. The 32x game really is more than just an upgrade of the Genesis game... it's better than the SNES game, unlike Mortal Kombat 2.

The Saturn version is really good, but it has load times and it doesn't seem to control quite as well.

The Genesis version plays well, but it looks washed out with fewer colours and it doesn't have the scaling or big heads. The sound is worse than the 32x game.

The Game Gear port is obviously compromised by the technology, but it plays pretty well for an 8-bit portable.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had just gotten my first income tax refund check when the first NBA Jam came out. Spent most of my refund on a Genesis 2 and that game.

Played it every chance I could and didn't even remove the cartridge from the system for a month.
    We saved some guy's life. Killed some vicious murdering lichs and blew up something big. I'd call that a pretty good night.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the best genesis games lol. Addicting as hell! Btw, they brought the arcade cabinet of the game to my prom's breakfast last night lol
    This is the greatest gif ever NO!!!!!!!! THE SITE TOOK IT OFF :: :: :: :: :: ::
    Another good one! XD
    A weird flash

Thx to Harima Kenji from Wannabefansubs.net for the Avatar

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

TE is really underrated for what it did to upgrade the series. People just look at it like a standard sequel, and while the core gameplay remains, it's really been revamped.

The addition of mutliple stat categories really blew things up. The multiple players, including benches, is a great feature. The injury stat balances things out so even the best teams are forced to dump their best players for at least a quarter or two. Then you have the hot spots and occasinaly cheesy power-ups which can make the game something else entirely.

Fish: The 32X port is good, but they were sloppy with it. Some of the heads are screwed up (look at BJ Armstrong and Pippen on the Bulls). The Jaguar port is about equal. The sprites took a size hit too, though that's arguably better since you can actually see more of the court. The music in the Jag version is a disgrace too. The PS One and Saturn versions were the only ones to really port it perfectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a great game. I had hours and hours of fun playing it with friends in the summers of 1993, 1994....The genesis version is way better than the SNEs version too...more voices, and I liked the control better. I have to try the 32x version sometime!

BTW Did you know that one of the game´s programmers, Steve Snake, is the creator of Kgen and Kega??? (the genesis , 32x and sega cd emulators)

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NBA Jam is one of my favorite Arcade games of all time!!! It has to be the best Basketball game every made. I remember playing it when it first came out at the Jersey board walk. They had a 50" big screen version, and the lines were like 30 minutes long to play the game!
    I am actually in the process of buying a NBA Jam arcade right now.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoyed the 1.0 version of Jam because you could play as MK characters. Stupid fucking NBA, taking offense to that and making Midway remove them...at least it's emulated in MAME, so no chance of losing it to time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My name's DynastyLawyer, and I endorse this thread.
    I am the reinforcements.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

NBA Jam is the only sports game I ever played... and I enjoyed it (but my SNES days are long gone )

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I was playing the sega cd version yesterday....kinda sucked. I was thinking of getting the 32x version, but i have never tried to install that system on the cdx i got. lazyness you might say. But yeah NBA Jam was a great game to pass the time with friends. Kinda still is today if you think about it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by demen999
    I was playing the sega cd version yesterday....kinda sucked. I was thinking of getting the 32x version, but i have never tried to install that system on the cdx i got. lazyness you might say. But yeah NBA Jam was a great game to pass the time with friends. Kinda still is today if you think about it.
    Haven't you realized that the Sega CD pretty much sucked in the first place?

NBA Jam is one of my all-time favorite sports games, I bought every system just to play this, I hate the new one its an insult to the old and classic one. I loved when you picked the Rookie All-Stars the anouncer would cry out something like, "AHHHH". The best slam dunk was the front flips and dong that on fire, do I hear seizure anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ3
    Hvaen't you realized that the Seag CD pretty much sucked in the first place?
    I "Hvaen't"

Ah NBA Jam, one of the few sports games I could even play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN