Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would the DVD format have caught on without PS2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Default Would the DVD format have caught on without PS2?

Would it have gone the way of the LD had it not been for the PS2?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DVD was already well on its way to becoming the dominant video format before the PS2 arrived, and the amount of PS2s out there is minimal compared to the overall market penetration of DVD players. Yes, without a doubt, DVD did not need the PS2 to become a mainstream format.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes. The PS2 might have put a cheap DVD player in many homes, but by the late 1990s it was already becoming clear that VHS was on its way out.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe not so much in japan and other parts of asia where they use VCDs, but I think alot of americans already have or were thinking of getting a DVD player before the PS2.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's see...

DVD Players can play DVD movies, VCD movies,Music CDs and MP3 music Files, and display Digital Pictures.
    PS2 can play DVD Movies, Games CDs/DVDs and Music DVDs.

DVD Players can -usually- play more than Region, allowing you to watch japanese or PAL movies without a problem.
    PS2 have a Region lock-on and usually can play only R-1 movies.

DVD Players cost at much $100.
    PS2 usually stock at $150 or more.
    What kind of a question was this?
    ...No more, it's over, I'm on to you and your evil games...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the PS2 can claim any part of the credit in the success of DVD. When I think DVD, I certainly don't think of video games but a first-rate home console unit that plays movies with dazzling picture and excellent sound. I have never watched a DVD through a video game system and I never will.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

In Japan it was a huge factor. The Matrix DVD was the biggest selling piece of software for the console. Either that says something about how people were using it or how bad the launch lineup was.

In the US, it was a nice feature, but hardly one that sold the console. DVD was already well established.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah the DVD format was already very popular before the PS2 was released.

It might have had a small impact on the Japanese DVD market but thats about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    In Japan it was a huge factor. The Matrix DVD was the biggest selling piece of software for the console. Either that says something about how people were using it or how bad the launch lineup was.
    THANK YOU! I don't know how many similar threads about the PS2 I've posted in saying pretty much the same thing only to have 10+ posts after me going on and on how it's BS with no evidence to back up their claims.

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922
    It might have had a small impact on the Japanese DVD market but thats about it.
    Read above, anyone in Japan during the first year of the PS2 launch, even if you were just visiting for three days (as I was) can tell you that video stores were selling PS2's as DVD PLAYERS FIRST and game consoles second.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid
    Read above, anyone in Japan during the first year of the PS2 launch, even if you were just visiting for three days (as I was) can tell you that video stores were selling PS2's as DVD PLAYERS FIRST and game consoles second.
    Which means that there was already a large demand for DVD players, which is why they marketed the PS2 as such in Japan.

I think it's pretty clear that the PS2 had pretty much no impact on DVD's becoming the dominant format in the U.S. Had there been no PS2, DVD would still maintain the exact same market share it does now. I don't know enough about the specifics of the Japanese market to state as an absolute fact one way or the other - But i think it's safe to say that if no PS2 existed, DVD would still be the dominant format over there as well. The sheer logistics of media available, the quality over VCD in the video and audtio departments, and the large weight of the entire movie industry behind it - Would have a larger impact imo, then a simple gaming console.

I'd say that the PS2 needed the DVD format, much more then the DVD format needed the PS2.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Then again, PS2 at least helped DVD penetrate the US market quicker. I remember when the PS2 first came out, the low-end poor quality DVD players were still US200+.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The guy who says something about this on the Sony conference seems not think so PS1 shouldered it .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slownerveaction
    DVD was already well on its way to becoming the dominant video format before the PS2 arrived, and the amount of PS2s out there is minimal compared to the overall market penetration of DVD players. Yes, without a doubt, DVD did not need the PS2 to become a mainstream format.
    Agreed even befor the, PS2 came out i all ready had a DVD player by that time.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But is Adam speaking specifically of the format as a whole, or it's use in the videogame world?

DVD was already pretty popluar before PS2, I think everyone agrees to that, but prior to PS2, CD media was the main format in use for most of the disc based systems. Only the Dreamcast boasted a better than CD media in it's GD-Roms, although that turned out to be a compression technology. DC games were being copied in no time flat after a little info was spread around the web. But most platforms that predate the PS2, including the original Playstation used CD. PS2 was the first system to add DVD media into the mix, although not every release used it. I think it's here to stay now, although it may one day be replaced with something more efficient.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I owned a DVD player before there was PS2. I'm only pissed that Nuon died before arriving in Europe (yes, there seems to be a Nuon player with joypad-ports in Swissor somethinG). I would love to have a European Nuon player to play Tempest 3000 and also watch my movies, but sadly Nuon died too young and I had to import a Nuon-dvd-player from the USA just to play that game.

But DVD is great if they could only add a joypad port to play conversion of all those LD-games .

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the PS2 was instrumental in bringing DVD to Japan as the standard, as most Japanese homes did not have a DVD player before the PS2 was released (mostly VCDs).

DVD would have caught on in the United States regardless. I think I already had a standalone player and 2 PCs with DVD drives by the time the PS2 came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Absolutely, it was only a matter of time. If it wasnt PS2 it would have been something else.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How blinkered a view,
    I was on my 5th dvd player before the PS2 was out. christ I had a DVD writer before the PS2 was out.
    I still dont own a ps2, yet I have multiple ways of viewing dvd's or dvd suplied media.

the ps2 owes its success to dvd technology, far from the other way around.

theres probably 20 alternative DVD products in the home for every one PS2.

I cant believe anybody seriosly believes this to be the case ??

unless its just a US thing and you guys were slow on the uptake of DVD.
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Owned a DVD player before the PS2 debuted. There was no question in my mind that DVD was the next standard. I don't claim to know anything about the Japan situation, but here in the US, DVD was well on its way without the help of the PS2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it would have, just due to the size of some games. Not sure what other format could have been used! I would love to see the size cart it would take to house GT4