Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper of the Week: Mr. Driller (PSX, DC)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sleeper of the Week: Mr. Driller (PSX, DC)

Sleeper of the Week: Mr. Driller (DC, PSX)

Sorry about the lack of a sleeper last week, but, well, I was sleeping! Illness and all that. Anyway, today we’re looking at one great puzzler from Namco that a lot of people never really played and a handful of us really love! It’s one of the best little modern franchises that nobody bothered to play when it came out! Mr. Driller is basically trying to save his town from a horde of giant blocks that mysteriously fell out of the sky and buried his town! He’s got a drill, appropriately, and a rather odd little pink outfit, and that’s about it. But the story is, as with almost all puzzlers, irrelevant, and the gameplay is what matters here!

In Mr. Driller, your goal is to dig to a certain depth. Usually in the easy game that’s 500 meters and in the regular/hard it’s something like 2500 meters. All you have to do to dig is press down and a button. You can dig as fast as possible, but there’s a catch. You don’t have time to clear the whole screen, so the idea is to dig quickly, and as you go down, you destabilize the blocks you’ve gone past. Those blocks tend to fall down on you and if they hit you, it’s bye bye Mr. Driller! In addition, there are “hard” blocks that take serious work to dig through and suck up your air supply when you destroy them. That’s right, dig down into the earth and you don’t have air! You must find pockets of air before you run out, and believe me the timer is fast! Spend too much time digging at a hard block or trying to clear too many blocks and you’re out of air…dead meat. Go too fast and the whole world comes falling down on you. It’s a fast paced combination of action and puzzling because of the way you have to dig. Some levels force you to dig giant blocks and when you do, you end up falling. You have no control while falling, and when you hit you’d better get moving! Good thing a 50 foot fall doesn’t hurt you!

The graphics and sound in Mr. Driller are pretty standard. Expect decent but cartoony graphics, nice sound but nothing special. Don’t look for a stand out title in that respect, but again, it’s all about the gameplay, and the gameplay is {i]fun[/i]! I found the Dreamcast version to have a bit cleaner graphics all around, and slightly better sound, but they’re both pretty much equal. Unfortunately, both the PSX and DC versions of the game are single player only, as this is a game that absolutely should be two players as well! The arcade version of Mr. Driller 2 is two player, but sadly, has not been released domestically except on the Game Boy Advance, so two player Mr. Driller is pretty much out of the question for those of you without a JAMMA arcade cabinet and $100 for the PCB. The average price of Mr. Driller for Playstaton and Dreamcast is about $15 used. I paid $10 for my Dreamcast copy sealed off eBay about a year ago, but with the prices of sealed things as of late, it’s hard to tell. Demand is low for this one because only a few people go for the cutesy puzzlers, but the game itself is way deeper than it’s image! Go check it out!

scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr. driller is an AWESOME puzzle game. It's not quite my favorite puzzle game (tetris, zoo keeper, and puyo puyo beat it), but it's still a must-play. I think the DS version is probably the best one released so far, due to its portability and the 2nd screen giving you a better view of the blocks above you.
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr Driller was also released on the Gameboy Color, and a newer version (not Mr Driller 2) was released on the DS which features even more modes of frantic (and multiplayer!) play.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

I havent played any drillers yet. I wanted to pick one up, but I have no DS, you guys said there is a PS2 version?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there is a PS1 version
    12 US SMS games to go
    74 US DC games to go

Now Playing:
    Guild Wars:
    (W/Me Furby Slayer)
    (Mo/R Goat Herder Teo)
    Riviera: the promised land

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

Oh ok, I guess the PS1 version is worth it since its a sleeper thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, PS1 version and Dreamcast version. I didn't know about the GBC version myself....was it released domestically? I've seen the new Mr. Driller 2 and the Mr. Driller Drill Spirits, but I haven't played either one of em.

I always found portable 2 player gaming to be not quite the same feel as playing two player side by side which you can do with the arcade version of Mr. Driller 2.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Remember when the PSX version came out, used to play it Was fun when Mr. Driller said "ecki" or something heheh. Its a good and fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Mr. Driller is great fun. Totally different from Zoo Keeper, so I can't say if I like it more or less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

How is zoo keeper? When i get the Ds i was thinking of picking that up as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's a flash game version that's been linked somewhere on the forums, which I assume is mostly what the real thing plays like. Addictive.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone mentioned Mr Driller Ace for the GBA which was released in Japan a short while ago & Mr Driller Drill Land for Gamecube (again a JAP only release) ? :/

I'm a huge fan of Mr Driller ever since getting the US Dreamcast one working on my PAL console many moons ago. Since then I've bought Mr Driller (GBC), Mr Driller Ace (GBA), Mr Driller 2 (GBA) & I'm now after the Gamecube version !

It's the sort of game that I can just play & play. Beautiful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

great game but i'm not sure if it can be classified as a sleeper.... the DS version should be relatively well known amongst gamers
    -Jan

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll definitely have to try those versions someday. The only one I've got is Mr. Driller 2 for the GBA, which at least for me is amazingly freaking hard. But still just as amazingly freaking addicting. I've put about 20 hours into the cart so far, but still can't even finish the "Normal" level in Mission mode.

It's one of those games where I can't seem to fully get the hang of it, but it keeps me coming back anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    great game but i'm not sure if it can be classified as a sleeper.... the DS version should be relatively well known amongst gamers
    Ahh, the DS launch...giving much needed exposure to niche titles ;D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mr. Driller. A brilliant little game. Years ago when the Dreamcast was still active i never bought it when it was available in lots of shops second hand for £5. I still don't have a copy. Anyway, I was playing it over easter and it was really good fun, can be really frantic with some mad drilling or you can remember to relax and do things logically and not so fast and still make it through. I didn't beat the hard mode though as i didn't have the game for long. When i am back where my dreamcast is i will hunt down a copy. As far as I can remember, the Dreamcast version did not have lots of different modes did it? On the reviews for the new DS one there seems to be all sorts of different modes and characters. I like the idea of a pure simple arcade game though.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

I LOVE Mr. Driller. I finally found a copy for my PSX, and I've been playing it nearly non-stop since. And it really bothers me that this game would have to be a sleeper, people should be snatching this game up left and right...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of the better puzzlers I've played. Played the living crud out of it and never ended up beating the stupid thing. Sadly I dumped the title when I dumped my previous complete DC collection... and it's one the 20 titles I'm still looking for! Argh.

If you haven't played - do give it a try.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maxlords, good review again. I like your sleeper of the week thread!

Do me a favor and do a review of Everblue 2 (Capcom, PS2)sometime. It is THE sleeper of this console generation, the longer you play that thing, the better it gets. However, it doesn't show its true value after two hours of play. One of the reasons I think it is completely overlooked.

If you do a Everblue 2 review, I'll marry you. Promise...AND you'll get a nice engagement ring.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funnily enough my DC Mr Driller arrived in the mail yesterday!

I remember about a year ago I was leant this game as I had never heard of it. Of course it's so easy to play I was addicted to it within five minutes.

I highly reccomend this game, just awesome!