Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you like 1994? Read this review then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Did you like 1994? Read this review then

Well I posted this as part of my "Obscure Saturn imports" thread here over at the Import-Mania! thread but I think this one has enough universal appeal that I thought I'd try my hand posting it here too, because I know some of you loved the mid 90s gaming and thought this would be a bit of a fun read for some of you:

The year was 1994.

It was the year of the 2D fighter.

The year of the Doom clones.

The year "T.G.I.F" was in its absolute prime

The year of the 16-bit wars in full throttle

The age of innocence.

It was a hot summer night, and somewhere in Sacramento was a 2 story house filled with laughter and joy. The parents talked and laughed with the other parents, and us kids, we did our own thing. We spent the night Dragon Punching*, slam dunking** and blowing each other up***. In fact, we spent much of the early-mid 90's doing just that on our get-together sleepover bonanza's. Ohh it was the best of times... THE BEST.

Basic overview: our group was an out of town friendship thing... 5 families, 18 kids... est. circa mid-late 80's. The dads who survived the Vietnam War, bonded and kept in touch; we all grew up together... our get-together sleepovers were legendary -- truly some of the defining moments of my childhood with plenty of coming-of-age moments. I could write a whole novel on it but I'm sure no one came here for that, heh heh.

Ah yes, '94... it was the best of times...

*tires screeching sound effect*

Then 1995 came.

Couple of the older friends in our group got girlfriends. Or became more involved with local friends. Some lost interest in video games. Times were a'changing. The parents got a little older. Suddenly the long drives were looking less and less attractive. The 16 bit wars was pretty much over, with the 32-bit generation breathing down its neck and SNES clearly beating out the poor Genny. I wanted no part of it. Too much change... too fast

*steps out of time machine*

Ah that was an interestng look back at more innocent, fonder days. And what the hell did that have to do with my next writeup?

I'm happy to say that this next game is a pure rocket buster straight from the days of old. It's just a kick to play, and harkens back to the days of innocence when wide-eyed kids would gather round the TV and stay there for hours on end.

What game am I talking about?

HATTRICK HERO S!!

We recently took a look at Taito's magnificent Mizubaku Adventure, now let's check out their ace soccer game. (by the title one might easily assume it's a hockey game but it's not)

HHS is an arcade-type game as opposed to a sim. Kind of like Neo-Geo's Super Side Kicks series except it was on Taito's F3/Cyber Core arcade system.

Super Side Kicks 2 from Neo Geo fame

HHS is a smooth playing soccer game with funny old school blocky sprites running about kicking a rubber ball. The game is almost entirely in English. You have:

-Arcade Mode: pick an ace and a team, and see how far you can advance! Can you reach the final team -- the dreaded MAX team??

-World League: Basically a tournament type mode

-Exhibition: One game

-PK Mode: Penalty Kick mode... nice little mode for bragging rights.

There are 8 "aces" to select from (players), once you select an ace you get to pick 1 of 42 country teams. Everyone from China to Nigeria is represented. Then you can set up formation and your lineup of players.

A is shoot, B is pass, C is turbo on Offense

On defense, A is sliding kick, B is punch/jump kick/sweep kick

On defense I recommend using A. It's not as effective as jarring the ball loose from your opponent, but B is a violation that sometimes gets called for a yellow card! (depends on whether the ref caught you or not... it seems about 50/50) But you know... sometimes you just see that punk there and you wanna punch his lights out. ^_^

Camera angle is adjustable and very nice. You can go high, low, near, far, etc. All on the fly too. L and R for near or far. X and Z changes the angle, and Y sets it back to default. Good stuff.

On offense, you can pass the ball then hold the pass button down to set up overhead kick passes. The announcer yells "GOOOOAAAAALLLLL!!" quite enthusiastically when someone scores, then there's a shot of the two coaches- one cheering and the other cringing. Some players even celebrate by doing a fancy dance. It's hilarious. Also there is a neat slow mo replay system after goals are scored.

You can power up your players to do a "Super Shot"- this is sweet, the game will stop and the announcer yells "Super Shot!" followed by a close up of your player kicking the ball toward the screen. You've got to get the ball to the right player for this to happen though. After this, it goes back to the in-game screen where the ball flies insanely fast toward the goalie, it knocks him into the net, and you get a goal. You have to earn enough "Units" to use this though. "Super Play" (this allows super shots, hyper shots and whatnot) can be turned off at the option screen if you'd rather not use it. Shaolin Soccer, anyone?

And then if this wasn't all enough good old fashioned fun for you, Taito pulls something wickedly random out of their sleeves....

Take a guess...

FEMALE STREAKER!!!! , the first time I saw this I was both befuddled and cracking up! I thought it was a bug at first but then realized... hey crazy things happen during soccer games all the time, Taito just wanted to capture that! Don't get TOO excited though, she's not a "full-fledged" streaker. Haha I think I just heard a collective groan. "Yes Bob take a point off." To top off the hilarity of this event the word HAPPENING! flashes on screen. ... gotta love that "broken english/old english" type usage there. There is at least one more "happening"... and that involves an animal scurrying through the field. There might be more, but those are the two I've seen so far. They happen like once every 3 games or so...

I dunno bout you but it's little things like that that makes video games so cool and fun... it's always about the little things...

Another random cool feature: you can knock out the ref! I've seen soccer balls that have knocked the poor ref down, and sometimes he gets caught in a melee! He gets up after about 4 seconds lying on the ground. When he is down you can attack your opponents with "B" as the ref can't yellow card you since he's obviously stunned on the ground. Good stuff.

Here is another person's (quick) take on HHS:

Before the time of polygon based soccer games there was sprites. Hat Trick Hero is a perfect example of the older times. Blocky sprites wobbling up and down the pitch in what looks like a feeble attempt to run (^o^), hahaha. Great game for those nostalgic nights.

--

Overall, Hattrick Hero S scores a definite GOAL! for me. The best thing was, I got this game for a measly $2.99. So it's NOT expensive AT ALL.

I'll never forget the first time I played it. It was 0-0 down to the wire. I kicked the ball toward the goal... the goalie left his feet to block it... the ball then ricochet to my other player, and I quickly kicked it in! I ended up winning 1-0.

Overall especially at its low price I recommend this game particularly if you're not opposed to the odd arcade soccer game here or there. It has a solid pick-me-up-and-play factor... and yes, it's 1-4 players. Just a fun, fun game. Of course I'm sure someone will play it and say "I don't get it? What's so fun? It seems a little crappy to me." Hey, not everyone liked even Tetris.

To end this I do want to say that the group is still cool. No we don't meet up every month like we did in the old days, and no we don't spend every major holiday together like we used to, but whenever we do get together, we pick up where we last left. We still manage to crank out good times. Like the big "Reunion" Lake Tahoe trip in '99... damn good times still. So... its a new era, generation, whatever you want to call it... but.... it's a friendship/bond for life.

Just like the oleee SEGA Saturn.
    Have a good one.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

haha, you beat me to this. At one point I was working on a very similar article with Tim Rogers, but I just got too busy to do much with it. I'm glad someone else recognizes 1994 as a very important year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

1994-95-96 were the best years of my life. Thanks for the great review!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    1994-95-96 were the best years of my life. Thanks for the great review!
    Yes that were great years, only look at which systems were on the market back then, I think 1995 was a top year in number of systems getting commercial games. Back the the supported systems in Europe were:
    Sega Game Gear
    Sega Genesis/Megadrive
    Sega CD
    Sega 32X
    Sega Saturn
    Nintendo Game Boy
    Super Nintendo
    Sony Playstation
    Amiga CD32
    CDi
    3DO
    Neo Geo
    Neo Geo CD
    Atari Jaguar
    Atari Jaguar CD

Maybe I forgot some, I'm not sure about the Lynx.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1994-1996 were the best times in gaming I'd say
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Key (Level 9) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

(I was going to make this its own topic, but I decided to post in this appropriate thread!)

Speaking of the 94-96 years, tomorrow will be the 10th anniversary of my favorite video game accomplishment of all-time. They said it vcould never be done. I proved them wrong:

http://img253.echo.cx/img253/2008/10003129tm.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    shvnsth
    PSN
    shvnsth
    Steam
    shvnsth

1995 was my favorite year by far of my year, but it had nothing to do with video games. i would play hockey religously with my older brother's team for 8 hours a day (i was 8 years old) in the hot summer sun, and although i didn't know it then, oasis owned the radio, and my favorite album of all time would come out in october (whats the story morning glory).
    Formerly known as "umich."

collection/buy/sell: https://tinyurl.com/shvnsth

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey 1994 was also the year Data East and Capcom were in the legal ring also.

The Street Fighter II/Fighter's History infringment lawsuit.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I missed those years! I was in a combat zone as a soldier enlisted in the army. Once in a while I find things I missed in the years I was gone that I didn't even know about!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1994 was indeed a spectacular year. I mean just think about how many different systems were battling it out that year.

I think the golden age of video gaming is ultimately going to be known as the period of time around 1988 to 1996.

And certainly one of the best years during that period was 1994.

I can remember in early 1994 I had just gotten an Atari Jaguar and I was dreaming about a Panasonic 3DO. And then in spring of '94 I was able to get a 3DO, when I saw a open box unit on sale at a Good Guys for $399.99.

I'll tell you what, when I first played Total Eclipse for 3DO and Aliens Vs. Predator for the Atari Jaguar in early 1994, I thought that gaming could never get better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loved 1994-1995. Definite best years for me so far. The end of the 16 bit era, the birth of he 32-bit generation. Gamefan and NextGen magazine still going strong. Graduated HS.
    Also still had the girl I should have stuck with and married.
    Damn, thanks for depressing me.
    94 ruled.
    Xbox Live: Ikari Warrior
    PSN: IkariWarrior

My collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/jaysweet99
    My theater: http://gallery.avsforum.com/showgall...ppuser/7596262

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior
    I loved 1994-1995. Definite best years for me so far. The end of the 16 bit era, the birth of he 32-bit generation. Gamefan and NextGen magazine still going strong. Graduated HS.
    Also still had the girl I should have stuck with and married.
    Damn, thanks for depressing me.
    94 ruled.
    Uhhh, sorry, but I feel ya. 94 absolutely kicked ass. I also remember the weather being absolutely picture perfect... those sweet cloudy Sundays you wish never end... etc.

Good times.

Just gotta keep the beat going so 10 years from now we can also look back and say 2005... good times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with everyone, I mean I love the years of 1994-1995-1996 especially since i was only between 8-10 years old, so i think those are definitly my favorite years of gaming

It was just an amazing time to be a fairly new gamer.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow I did not expect to see this thread bumped but heh, hey I don't mind. It's nice to see my review and people's comments on the mid 90's. It certainly was a flagship era.

I think the best time for a gamer was to be born in 1980-1983 personally. I'm an '83 child, so when the NES was hot hot in '88 I was about five and it was perfect. When the SNES hit its peak in 93 and 94 I was 10 and 11...

And when 3D exploded I was 13 or 14...

I can't imagine growing up on PS1 as a 6 year old... I liked how I kinda "grew up with video games" and vice versa from an early stage. Sure, NES isn't the oldest, but old and gold... with all due respect to the other older systems but I'd say IMO the NES was it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Steven I fully agree, i was born in 1984 and yeah I liked how i grew up as well, it was great having the nintendo than the super nes when i was just old enough and it was just a great time to grow up

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Steven
    Wow I did not expect to see this thread bumped but heh, hey I don't mind. It's nice to see my review and people's comments on the mid 90's. It certainly was a flagship era.

I think the best time for a gamer was to be born in 1980-1983 personally. I'm an '83 child, so when the NES was hot hot in '88 I was about five and it was perfect. When the SNES hit its peak in 93 and 94 I was 10 and 11...

And when 3D exploded I was 13 or 14...

I can't imagine growing up on PS1 as a 6 year old... I liked how I kinda "grew up with video games" and vice versa from an early stage. Sure, NES isn't the oldest, but old and gold... with all due respect to the other older systems but I'd say IMO the NES was it.
    I'm an 86'er and boy was it a great time to grow up. I started gaming at three, so by far my most memorable period with Video Games was the 16 bit era.

When I think of 1994-1995 I think of renting Genesis games and sleeping over at my best friends house playing Captain America and The Avengers all night long. We'd move onto Sunset Riders and then whip out his old TG-16 for some Bonk flavored fun. GOOD TIMES.

The next year however would turn out to be the worst year of my life. But these things happen you see.

Long live GOOD TIMES.

Cherry (Level 1) starchildskiss78's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno....I think 1978 was a good year to be born as well!

I was 12 when we first got a NES (I know...I know...I was a little late on that trend) but I made up for it by getting a Genesis around 1992 (damn still late....) and a Game Gear (a little closer) and a SNES around the same time so I got to enjoy the best of what was to offer at the time. I remember Mortal Kombat coming out and the big controversy. I skipped out on the Atari Jaguar and the 3DO because I felt they were too pricey. I was lucky to have lots of gaming friends to hang out with and I was able to enjoy the Sega Saturn and (through my cousin) the Sony Playstation. I think that was the best era for games right there....right at the tail-end of the Genesis' life and the beginning of the Playstation/Saturn era (I don't know why but I don't consider the N64 in the same league...I've always felt it was plagued by a lack of games that caught my interest...note I didn't say "lack of good games.") Well, that's my little trip down memory lane...
    My webcomic about three kitties and their humans. Touches on different subject matter (including video games) and updates every Sunday and Wednesday. (The kitties demand you read it!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

94 was a great year. Thats the year I got MK2 for the Snes. Boy was I hooked.

95 was also a great year. The year the Playstation graced us. But the thing is, I didnt get mine until April of 96. Also in 96, I got to play Tekken 2 at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, 1994, what a year that was for me. My sophomore year, good games, the last years of being a kid and my first…well…piece of ass. Man did that year start and end completely different for me. My first real drunk, getting my driver’s license, my first…well…piece of ass.

And the games, man the games were good. The SNES and the Genesis were at that top of their games at that time. Hell, 1994 gave us Super Metroid and Final Fantasy III (I know there’s more but these two stand out to me).

Good, good, GOOD memories fellas, what a year that was.

Take a hike, wang-broom!
    I swear I can smell your stinky hands from here!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whippersnappers. I was born in 1972, so my youth was all about Atari 2600! And let me wax grumpy about that good-for-nothing D-cross NES controller! Alas, if only I'd known about the NES Advantage... But as it stood, I went from Atari 2600 to Atari 130XE games. The NES was for my little brother to play "Ninja Garden" and other foolishness. Then in the late 80s there was high school and girlfriends (and Atari computer games), and in the early 90s there was college and 386/486-compatible computer games (Mechwarrior! Doom!)

1994 actually marked my graduation from college and the middle of my long exile from console games. And at the time I had nothing but contempt for all of those "jump punch kick" (i.e., fighting) arcade games. Real, proper arcade games involved heavy firepower, and preferably spaceships.

It wasn't until I received a PlayStation in 1997 (as a wedding gift!) that I came back to console gaming. By that point I had missed the entire post-Atari 2600 8-bit and 16-bit console gaming eras. But with the help of Colony Wars, I came back to consoles where the fun first began.

While I've since picked up a 5200, a 7800, an NES, a Genesis, a SNES and a Saturn, they serve me mostly as shmup adapters. The 8-bit and 16-bit platform and fighting games adored by kids growing up with the NES are pretty much curiosities and momentary diversions as far as I'm concerned.

Not that I'm saying anybody's wrong here to like what they like. But it just smacks me in the face over and over how much the retrogaming hobby is a nostalgia-driven pursuit.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY