Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I don't play games but I own almost every system...WHY ?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by y-bot
    I almost never play games except when I am testing out stuff to sell/trade. I probably have about 50 systems and 1000 cartridges in my collection and I can't remember the last time I played a game purely for fun. Also all of my games are put away in boxes so I can't even look at them. I guess I get enjoyment out of hunting things down and trying to complete collections. I keep telling myself that someday I will play them.
    y-bot
    amen to that. I too only find myself (just in the past year and a half), only playing games when i test them out to sell. I collect NES like ebola spreads, but when it gets down to it, i never play the games. I too tell myself that one day i will get around to it... ha... one day when i have some free time, right?

Oh well, i love it, but lately it has been taking over my life and i go through spells where i just want to rid myself of it all. But then i wake up early (instinctingly) on a saturday morning , wondering why i am up that early? Of course! I must get the newspaper, find the best sounding garage sales and find the shit that i don't really need, but must track down (sorry for that run on). Maybe one day i will sell it all and put my money towards something that will motivate me more so then buying that last color dream variation mint and complete.

wow, good thread I am glad i am not the only one out there.

-Josh

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: I don't play games but I own almost every system...WHY ?

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    I used to play games...... A lot.....

But for the last 10 years I have found myself doing something that some might consider quite strange.

I buy every system. It seems I have to have them. I love to get them and check them out and even play a few of the more popular games on them. But then I just wind up putting them on the shelf and never touching them again.

And also I have to have every new handheld that is made, including the Imports. I get every one and then I don't wind up buying hardly any games for them. I just hack them and put emulators on them, mod them with fron-lights, etc.

And I also have to mod all my newst Nex-Gen systems. My Gamecube , Xbox, and PS2 (plus my Saturn, and PS1) , thay all have mod-chips and are modified to play copied games. But then I don't D-load or copy any games. I just like the fact that I can if I want to.

Well I guess just like anything else it's just a Hobby. But maybe I should seek some Professional help.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Been bothering me lately.
    It seems perfectly fine to me to enjoy collectiong things. People collect coins, cars, stamps, sports cards and video games.

Let me ask you this, though?

Are you spending money on video games and systems and mod chips when you should be spending that money on other bills? Also, are you buying these items with credit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I as well collect and no longer play. I use roms and my NES controller converted to USB. That keeps me happy!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Default OCD with ADD without HD is a bummer.

Wow

In the 25 years that I have played and collected games I have come to a few conclusions. The most memorable experiences related to games are from when they were new.

Having come through the generation when atari, intellivision and coleco games were on the store shelves, there is a different perspective on the retro aspect of the first gen systems. Trying to decide which coleco game to spend $30 on and if it was worth it to buy a few games for $5 used. Now anybody can get an instant collection of any first gen system for less than the original cost of 2 or 3 games. And what does $30 from 1984 equal today?

With few exceptions, the playing experience shifts to a collecting experience as more used games become available.

My oldest and step kids had every first gen systems but do not collect or play any of them today. My second family and 3 young kids now do not play anything older than a Sega Genesis. The idea of saving things for them seems pointless as even their older brother couldn't be bothered with anything 8-bit.

I would not go as far as saying I hate games. I don't know why I continue to pick up old games at yard sales and flea markets though. Unless I become more active in trading rare older collectibles for things destined to become collectible in 10 years

Sigh.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

repeat post..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    Quote Originally Posted by bizbiz
    I spend much of my money, sometimes all of it on old video games that I will never play or make use of. I collect games, yet I hate playing video games. I guess I do it because it is fun. Not everything has to be straightforward. Man A who mods systems for no reason is no different than someone who likes to play video games. Its simply a way to have fun and forget about your other worries in life. I know when I am thinking about what games to buy and looking at my collection, I completely forget about my surroundings - which is a good thing for me. And think about it, here I am collecting games, spending money, wasting time, but I never play games, I literally hate video games. So, be proud of your achievements in modding systems. It sounds fun and challenging - if you enjoy it, that is all that matters.
    I can no longer control my temper this time.
    I HATE YOU.
    Please. go collect stamps, or coins, or action figures, or something that people don't USE. PLEASE. Some of us here are building collections to PLAY games. If you HATE video games, why do you collect them? By your description, you could collect ANYTHING, and probably get the same 'feeling'. It's a methodical method of elimination. You've got a big ass list of bricks to buy to build a wall. WHY VIDEO GAMES? YOU HATE PLAYING THEM.
    I know it's "your money" and theres nothing I can do to stop you, or anyone else here who piles up assloads of games and doesn't play them. It's just REALLY FRUSTRATING when the people holding the copies of Aero fighters snes, or Radiant silvergun for Saturn, or any other kick ass grail you can think of, haven't even played them, and never intend to.
    Right.. I hate PLAYING video games. I like COLLECTING video games. I like the nostalgic feeling of collecting and finding old and valuable video games. I played games since I was 5 years old and spent many years at the tube playing non-stop for what seemed like hours and hours a day. Frankly, I am sick of playing video games, so much that I can't sit there and play them anymore.. it has become hate to play games. However, I can't help but profess my love for completing my game collection. The game companies made the games for profit. People like you buy the games for fun. I buy games for collecting purposes. Everyone has their own reasons - show a little respect and try to keep your hate to people you know!

What people like myself do (collect games without the intent to play them), is no different than someone who buys old and expensive paintings to hang on their wall and look at or show off. We are idolizing the past. We are preserving for the future. We are admiring the artwork, the rareness of that item (many old video games in their original box in pristine condition is like a piece of art). I don't hate the people who have pissed and shit all over their old video games, wiped snot on the case, threw away the box, ripped up the manual, cracked the shell, etc. - I'm one of the people who buys these games, cleans them, and restores them as much as possible to their original conditions.

I don't hate ALL video games, but it seems like the ones I collect and spend the most time looking for are just garbage when I finally get the game. I play all games I buy at least 1 time to test it, to see what the game is like. There have been so many games in my past that I spent years looking for, and when I finally get the game, I play it and it SUCKS! Lemmings for NES, is a VERY GOOD EXAMPLE! General Chaos for Sega Genesis is another.. I couldn't even play the game it was so awful. And all those years, I thought it looked so cool from the pictures and reviews I read! Things like this fueled my hate. After owning so many games, you begin to realize that good games are harder to come by. However, I can't say I hate all video games, because some of them I could play forever (e.g. SMB 1, Family Feud, or Tecmo Bowl).

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

A wise friend of mine once said:

"If I work more (Assume 40 hours a week) then I have more money to do the things I want, however I have less time to do them"

Is time an issue? No time to play? It happens to me quite often being a Network Admin, being on call, and going to grad school..
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DrWily008
    PSN
    DrWily008

Does anyone else here do this sort of thing, or do most people here actually PLAY games and collect also ?
    I've gotten pretty bad about it to. I hardly play games...at least not even close as what I used to. My collection swells, but my spare time does not.

I also collect albums like someone else in this thread said and I do listen to them, but not all of them.

It's a sickness, but a good one and I enjoy it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Right.. I hate PLAYING video games. I like COLLECTING video games. I like the nostalgic feeling of collecting and finding old and valuable video games. I played games since I was 5 years old and spent many years at the tube playing non-stop for what seemed like hours and hours a day. Frankly, I am sick of playing video games, so much that I can't sit there and play them anymore.. it has become hate to play games. However, I can't help but profess my love for completing my game collection. The game companies made the games for profit. People like you buy the games for fun. I buy games for collecting purposes. Everyone has their own reasons - show a little respect and try to keep your hate to people you know!

What people like myself do (collect games without the intent to play them), is no different than someone who buys old and expensive paintings to hang on their wall and look at or show off. We are idolizing the past. We are preserving for the future. We are admiring the artwork, the rareness of that item (many old video games in their original box in pristine condition is like a piece of art). I don't hate the people who have pissed and shit all over their old video games, wiped snot on the case, threw away the box, ripped up the manual, cracked the shell, etc. - I'm one of the people who buys these games, cleans them, and restores them as much as possible to their original conditions.

I don't hate ALL video games, but it seems like the ones I collect and spend the most time looking for are just garbage when I finally get the game. I play all games I buy at least 1 time to test it, to see what the game is like. There have been so many games in my past that I spent years looking for, and when I finally get the game, I play it and it SUCKS! Lemmings for NES, is a VERY GOOD EXAMPLE! General Chaos for Sega Genesis is another.. I couldn't even play the game it was so awful. And all those years, I thought it looked so cool from the pictures and reviews I read! Things like this fueled my hate. After owning so many games, you begin to realize that good games are harder to come by. However, I can't say I hate all video games, because some of them I could play forever (e.g. SMB 1, Family Feud, or Tecmo Bowl).
    Just thought i'd throw a few comments into this fire

Yes, the game company gets the profit for a brand new game that comes out, but not the older used games. I guess it depends on what you buy there.

There is a big difference between buying a game to look at, and a piece of art to hang on your wall.

With the artwork, you're using it for its intended use - To look at. You don't buy a TV just to stare at, you turn it on and watch some shows.

Some of us here are dying to try plenty of games that are out in the wild, we hear storys of amazing games, and we are determined to find them. Imagine if a friend of yours finds a great album you've always wanted to listen to, and they say "Oh, I just bought it to own it... i'm never going to listen to it"

It's just disturbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Took the words right out of my mouth (or rather, fingers?), VACRMH.

The painting analogy just doesn't work. A better analogy would be someone who buys a painting just to immediately cover it up or lock it away, resulting in no one being able to view it. The purpose of a painting is to be available for viewing so you can appreciate its beauty and meaning, while the purpose of a game is to be played, regardless of if the publisher just wants money (painters get money for their work as well, but they sure as hell aren't painting for the purpose of acquiring cash).

I think a lot of the time collectors start to forget that behind every game there is at least one person, if not a huge staff, that toiled away on the project for possibly years. Every aspect of a game takes a ton of work, especially programming. As a programmer myself, I'd take offense if I created a game and someone came up to me saying "Yeah, I bought your game, but I don't feel like playing it". If it sucks, fine, don't play it all the way through, but at least TRY it (and not just to see if it works or for 5 minutes).

And as a gamer and a collector, what really gets me is the idea of all these potential great deals out there at the places I shop at on games and systems that I'd love to buy, bring home, play the heck out of, and worship that may be lost to people who snatch them up when they KNOW they don't care to ever play them and all they're going to do is brag about another system/game added to the list, shelf it, and completely forget about it.

I admit that I don't play games a fraction as much as I should be considering the size of my collection and the numbers of unfinished games I have, but that's only because I too often get too wrapped up in life and get stressed out about so many things that I can't get myself to relax, sit down, and truly focus on a game (and since my favorite genres usually demand a lot of time to complete, it makes it even harder). I always have games on the brain, though, and I have enough control to not buy that many games during the school year when I have no time to play. In the summer I play a lot more, but that's when I buy a lot of games too, so I never catch up. :P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What's more disturbing is how you are acting like people like myself own the only copy of a game. There are thousands and thousands of every game out there. Why blame someone like me if you can't find a game? I spent many years searching for the games I own and I am not going to feel guilty because people like you are 'dying to get them'! Video game collecting is not the same as video game playing - many people here can't seem to draw the line between the two. I don't cover my games up and hide them. They are on display in my home and I show them to my friends and guests whenever they ask to see them or if they enter the room that they are in. On top of that, my games are always ready to be played, the systems are hooked up, I lend games, and I sell them if the price is right. Really, at this point the entire topic is being blown out of proportion..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

What's more disturbing is how you are acting like people like myself own the only copy of a game. There are thousands and thousands of every game out there. Why blame someone like me if you can't find a game? I spent many years searching for the games I own and I am not going to feel guilty because people like you are 'dying to get them'! Video game collecting is not the same as video game playing - many people here can't seem to draw the line between the two. I don't cover my games up and hide them. They are on display in my home and I show them to my friends and guests whenever they ask to see them or if they enter the room that they are in. On top of that, my games are always ready to be played, the systems are hooked up, I lend games, and I sell them if the price is right. Really, at this point the entire topic is being blown out of proportion..
    No one is being blamed for someone not being able to find a game. But in my mind (And some others i'm sure) the game is being wasted.

Collecting can be very much the same as playing. I collect quite alot, to play.

And the reason why this is "being blown out of proportion" is because of your statements, and the fact that alot of other people are doing the same thing you're doing. Buying and never even consider playing because they're a "Collector" I must admit you were caught in a crossfire, i've been ready to jump into a discussion about this for quite awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by kamino
    I can no longer control my temper this time.
    I HATE YOU.
    Please. go collect stamps, or coins, or action figures, or something that people don't USE. PLEASE... (something about doing it for Padme)
    Only a Sith speaks in absolutes!

Anyway,
    I guess I'm much more the gamer than collector these days, I was going for a complete NTSC 2600 collection, but I realized that some of the stuff is SO RARE that really only about 10 people would be able to do it. So I parred down my stuff to a more reasonable level (still have over 700 games).

Part of this is due to economics as I bought a house and haven't gotten my ass in gear to look for a higher paying job.

And part of it is wanting the play through and beat the good games (I'm trying to beat two games before buying one new one...)

I dunno man if it feels good (and is legal in your state or province), do it!

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

usually I'm to busy, or too overwhelmed by a single game to be able to give all my systems and collections the proper treatment.

I try to only collect dreamcast stuff, and try to budget myself. I'm just a college student. But I get the same feeling I did from collecting baseball cards as a kid.

As for Genesis stuff, its about having the stuff I always wanted as a child, and never had.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kamino, did you drop the Krazy? You're sounding Krazy these days...

I NEVER play any of my games.

By never, I mean that I spend less than 2 hours a week out of 154 playing games, and I play less than 0.05% of my collection on any given week. So, I never play my games. C'mon Kamino, come and get me!

Collecting is as important as gaming is to me. I'm a big hunter. It's a huge source of enjoyment and satisfaction for me. If some day I have to stop hunting, or I run out of stuff to hunt for (yeah, right), I'll be pleased to be stuck playing those games from all eras. I almost wish I could stop hunting and start playing some more. Ah, here comes winter.

I love to play games. And dammit, once I unpack them, perhaps I can play a few more of them and submit some reviews of one or two of them. Perhaps. I play alot less than I anticipated when I started collecting. Sometimes it's just about potential.

If you just like having the potential, sometimes that just as valuable as actual use. If that potential wears out its welcome, maybe it's time to move on. Or just put it all carefully in the garage to revisit in a few years.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Seems to me if you injoy modding and tinkering with your systems more then actually playing them then maybe you sould start selling your mods and turn your supposed problem into profit.
    But then it becomes more of a job and less fun.

And I don't need the money , I have a great job.

Does anyone else here do this sort of thing, or do most people here actually PLAY games and collect also ?
    i Play games, a lot. but not the games i collect. i almost never ever play any consoles at home. i cant remember the last time i did. i play PC games non stop though, but i dont collect any of them and most of them i get off usenet anyway. the only time i kinda play console games is during school when i have my xbox w/ me at my dorm. thats it.

ive though about why im buying all these games and frankly i like having them. chances are ill never play most of them, but i enjoy having them and buying them. maybe ill slow down (or stop) when i finish all my To Get lists. someday i hope to have a entertainment room with all my dvds and games there, so i can play them if i wanted.

Strawberry (Level 2) sickdrummer420's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    sickdrummer420

i pretty much do the same samn thing jonjondran does. i have all my systems modded but hardly ever play em. seems like i have more fun modding than anything. love to collect all the old classics also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: I don't play games but I own almost every system...WHY ?

I used to play games...... A lot.....

But for the last 10 years I have found myself doing something that some might consider quite strange.

I buy every system. It seems I have to have them. I love to get them and check them out and even play a few of the more popular games on them. But then I just wind up putting them on the shelf and never touching them again.

And also I have to have every new handheld that is made, including the Imports. I get every one and then I don't wind up buying hardly any games for them. I just hack them and put emulators on them, mod them with fron-lights, etc.

And I also have to mod all my newst Nex-Gen systems. My Gamecube , Xbox, and PS2 (plus my Saturn, and PS1) , thay all have mod-chips and are modified to play copied games. But then I don't D-load or copy any games. I just like the fact that I can if I want to.

Well I guess just like anything else it's just a Hobby. But maybe I should seek some Professional help.

Just thought I'd share that with you guys. Been bothering me lately.
    I totally feel for you man. I guess I am sort of sick. I enjoy seeing my games lined up on the shelf. I even get more excited when I see brand new sealed games lined up. That's how I started to collect sealed games. I also collect as many brand new systems as I can. I never intend to open them or play with the system but I feel happy enough just to hold them in my hands. My father is in the same boat. He has over 10,000 CD and LPs. He can never listen to all of them but he just keeps on buying more and more music.

I think as long as you are enjoying yourself and that you are not doing harm to anyone. I think you have all the right in the world to continue to do what you are doing.

As a matter of fact, I see a psychologist on a regular basis. I told him I buy games but I don't play with them as much. He actually confirmed that it is some kind of sickness. I'll ask him more about it next time I see him.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I recognise it somewhat. I stopped playing games ten years ago. My interest in games is mostly theoretical. I like to look at them and research them, and for that purpose, I need the hardware as well. And since I'm against emulators, I need to modify my hardware. I usually don't modify things just in order to make them look cool, but I like to remove region coding and add 50/60 Hz switches and such things. If a modification makes my life easier, I will do it. I rarely play games, but like you I want to be able to, be it one single Japanese game. But I regard it all as laboratory equipment to help me in my research. =)

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I can understand the collector who has drifted away from playing their games. It happens, sometimes you go through phases where you just don't feel like stting down to play. But I'd like to think anyone who was passionate enough to collect was doing it because they ultimately really liked games whether they have the time to play them or not.

But jesus, to systematically hunt down a collection and hate gaming? Talk about cold. Why bother? Sounds like a waste of space and money to me.