Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could a Virtual Boy like product, with full color work now?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Question is, is there much of a market anymore for something like that?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WanganRunner
    I think that it might work as an add-on to an existing console. You'd put a certain, VBN (Virtual Boy Next, my fictional name) disc into your Gamecube, and then the headgear would plug in like a controller (or wirelessly, a la wavebird). It'd be full color and 3D. That way, each player could have one, you could sit down and do it, and you'd each see the others in a multiplayer environment, say, Mario Kart or an FPS.

If they could sell something like that for $100 and have a fair amount of software come out for it, i'd buy it.

EDIT: That way, it doesn't need any processing hardware, it's just the display device, so they could sell it cheaper. The GCN/Revolution/whatever packs the power. If it was wireless it'd really pwn.
    I like this idea... if it were possible, that would be great, although getting four of those suckers together might be hard at first, if the price was right you could make a killing. I could see people wanting this, and whichever system pulled it out first, would probably get a large kick in user base.

Not to pull it away from nintendo, but imagine the Halo geeks having this with Halo 3 on the 360? Bam, peripheral sold. Wouldn't have to think about it.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Could a Virtual Boy like product, with full color work n

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I think if they made a modern up to date FMV game . . . with much more interaction
    This is an oxymoron.
    You know what? There are lots of different levels of interaction. A game doesn't have to be 100 percent interactive to be enjoyable. I mean look at a game like Myst. Although I personally could never get into a game like that, it was one of the best selling games of all time. Look at a game like Killer 7. It's supposed to be kindof a point n click type game.
    I've gotta get on Anthony1's side here that there are some merits to FMV...well, one, really. FMV is limiting compared to fully rendered scenes, that's a given (a bit more on that later, though it's all obvious), but with FMV you can do perfectly stylized things. The downsides are of course that if you want to put any sort of belivable actors in it you'd have to have some shading/shadows, masks so you can change parts of the environment, neccessitating some modeling of the environment in 3D...but the benefits in terms of asthetics could still possibly make up for that...possibly.

I think we're past the point where having filmed actors is better than computer-generated actors for games, though. I feel FMV works best for gun games/arcade GI Joe-type and adventure (7th Guest) games, personally. There's racing, too, but I'd hate to play a realistic racer in FMV - too much mundanity that can be rendered better in a 3D engine there.

The only reason to do FMV at all anymore would be that it lets artists design things exactly as they want them to look.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    The reason for the VB's display was the stereoscopic display... it's not a limited color LCD like people seem to think. Those displays are still expensive, though it could be made multicolor now at least.

The VB, as it was made, could not be done with LCD.
    Yes, I know that the VB's display is closer to a single-color DLP than anything. I was merely saying that, if the VB had a successor, that it should use twin backlit LCD displays.

Also, I don't think there's anything precluding the VB from using LCD, other than for price reasons. Basically, in the VB, you have a single column of pixels that is directed with a mirror to the correct position for each column. You'd have to gather this data, then output it on an LCD panel in the same fashion (basically an 'emulation' of the VB's DLP-type technology). It might not be practical for price reasons, but other than that, I can think of no reason why it couldn't be possible. There'd be a bit more blur due to the LCD, but on the games released for the VB, I don't think that would affect too much, especially if they were to use GBA-style interlacing.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[Edit: crap, double post. Please delete.]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I doubt it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think most of the reason VB failed was
    1. the head strain
    2. no real portability
    3. the monochrome display
    4. no real 3rd party support

If these issues were addressed, and the system had full color, there's no real reason it couldn't be successful if marketed correctly.

Even if there was an add-on to the DS, it could be done with much less monetary loss.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

The technology for a full color display is still to expensive, partly due to the fact that Nintendo would probably have to use its own R&D department to develop said technology, since there are few other consumer electronics use such devices.

The question is similar to asking in 1984 if there would be a new Vectrex, with a color vector display.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo's early exist of Virtual Boy, contrary to popular belief of no market support, may actually be liability issues. There were reports of many gamers getting headaches playing for just 15 min, it's believed that big N pulled the products ASAP to reduce possibility of legal actions from consumer. Quite unusaul for N, consider they always stay commited to a system no matter how the market embraces a console.

IN fact, many more games were already made and ready to publish.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vincewy
    IN fact, many more games were already made and ready to publish.
    Yes, yes we missed out on Zero Racer. I was heartbroken.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar
    The question is similar to asking in 1984 if there would be a new Vectrex, with a color vector display.
    I'd still love to see that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never got headaches, just back strain from the akward leaning into the headset. Sega 3D never gave me headaches either and I played that for hours on end. I probably killed off those brain receptors long ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree wiith what WanganRunner said. It could only work as an add on to an existing system and would have to be in color. Using it in place of split screen play would be awesome and if the price was kept failry low I think it would catch on. Now as to if this would ever happen?.....No F'ing Way. No one is going to make something that is so similar to the horrible failure the Virtual Boy was. I like the Virtual Boy but I was definately in the minority.
    Speed Kills but Strength Punishes