Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Golden Sun love?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Any Golden Sun love?

Spoilers within...sort of.

I just wondered how many of us here on the roundtable have played Golden Sun and the sequel The Lost Age.

I have now gone through these games twice, and I just think they are the best handheld RPGs made. Sorry to just randomly gush, but these games are incredibly fun, interesting, and replayable.

The two games are really just one large story, but there is such an interesting dynamic between the PCs you use in the first and second installment.... it's just great. And yes, you transfer your characters over from the first game.

Oh, the big question, to those who have played: Anyone out there beat Dullahan (super secret tough bonus dungeon boss)? On my second playthrough of the series, I made sure to get every djinn in each game so I could access the Anemos Inner Sanctum, and took him down. I have a great technique, if anyone cares. (Sure to beat him, no matter what.)

Okay, gushing over.
    -Mark

Wanted: Activision Patches - PM me.
    Wanted: Popful Mail Case/Manual - PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, thanks to a DP member, and frequenter of VBender, I was able to get the GoldenSun sequel, which motivated me to play the first game again. Got to the end, and cannot defeat the characters. I can't leave, and I filled the other save slots right before I engaged in battle, so that I wouldn't have to find my way through the maze again, not realizing that there would be a point where I couldn't back track. So my consensus is that I am too weak for this final battle, but I cannot leave the area, so I am forced to partake in the blood spilling, generally mine. Grrr... So no, I haven't played the sequel, ad i can not conquer the first game.

I did enjoy it up until this point though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't Isaac/Robin just cast retreat for you? That might work. I don't really remember...

You could just die, though. It will then take you back to the nearest sanctum.

OR:
    At the load file screen, press and hold L(shoulder),Start,and Select before loading the file. When the file is loaded, Isaac and company will be inside the most recently visited sanctum.

So there. That way you can finish it off.
    -Mark

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I beat the first one and I liked it well enough, but it was also the only game I had brought with my on vacation other than mario kart for gba (which is one of only 3 games I've actually sold due to hating it so much).

I then got the second one, and hated it. I think I made it like 5-10 hours in and just got completely sick of it. didn't know where to go, too much backtracking, boring, lifeless, etc... and for the first time in ANY RPG EVER, I'm actually gonna say "I hated the amont of random battles" And I actually thought beyond the beyond for ps1 had no problems with random battles.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own both Golden Sun's for the GBA, completed both a couple times

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by videogameking26
    I own both Golden Sun's for the GBA, completed both a couple times
    Did you go through the Anemos Inner Sanctum and fight Dullahan?
    -Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus
    Can't Isaac/Robin just cast retreat for you? That might work. I don't really remember...

You could just die, though. It will then take you back to the nearest sanctum.

OR:
    At the load file screen, press and hold L(shoulder),Start,and Select before loading the file. When the file is loaded, Isaac and company will be inside the most recently visited sanctum.

So there. That way you can finish it off.
    Yeah, Dying takes me back to Lalivero Sanctum. I tried using that L-Shoulder trick first, but it gave me a message stating, "Your Data could not be Recovered"... but it would load fine if I just wanted to continue. Those pesky developers over at Camelot.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm currently playing Golden Sun, it's a decent game in my opinion.
    I go online sometimes, but ... everyone's spelling is really bad, and it's ... depressing.

--Tara from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"

BEST SITE FOR IMPORTS!
    http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-pfh-71-99.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I own both Golden Suns and have beaten both as well. I completed the 1st one 100% and the 2nd one is just shy of 100% (I can't beat Dullahan!)

I found both games to be stale and mediocre. The basttle system is flawed (who just defends in RPG's these days when your attacking target was taken out, your supposed to attack the next target!). The Lost Age felt like there was a lot of unecessary stuff in it. Camelot could of combined both of them into one game and chopped out the unecessary stuff. My biggest gripe though is character development. One of the main attractions to RPG's are the characters and the stories behind them. Issac Garret, Felix, and the rest were all pretty lifeless. I felt no emotion from them and didn't care for why they were on their quest. The excess dialouge was annoying too.

I listed alot of my gripes with the games, but I don't dismiss Golden Sun as complete garbage. I merely felt that they were average.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I only own the first. I've started it twice but I've never finished it. They're excellent games, I just can't play something that takes *that* long without burning out at some point
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Xexyz
    I own both Golden Suns and have beaten both as well. I completed the 1st one 100% and the 2nd one is just shy of 100% (I can't beat Dullahan!)
    PM sent with a great strategy to win... no matter what.

I found both games to be stale and mediocre. The basttle system is flawed (who just defends in RPG's these days when your attacking target was taken out, your supposed to attack the next target!).
    Here's how I justify this (in any game that does it): if you encountered a group of monsters in a field, you wouldn't face off like you were playing Red Rover. You would each choose a foe to pursue for a "round," and go for it. Now, if two of you went after Imp #2, and one of you killed it, you'd have to wait to attack someone else. You couldn't just warp somewhere else.

Those who have played pen & paper RPGs would feel a little less shorted by that kind of gameplay, I suppose.

Issac Garret, Felix, and the rest were all pretty lifeless. I felt no emotion from them and didn't care for why they were on their quest.
    I actually think they were supposed to be sort of blind and clueless. I mean, heck, the whole first game you are working against saving the world without even knowing it. They are the one dimensional hero wannabes, and the second game opens up the story a bit.
    -Mark

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    I then got the second one, and hated it. I think I made it like 5-10 hours in and just got completely sick of it. didn't know where to go, too much backtracking, boring, lifeless, etc... and for the first time in ANY RPG EVER, I'm actually gonna say "I hated the amont of random battles"
    Exactly how I felt about the second installment. I couldn't stand it. Its a real shame too, because I really liked the first and was looking forward to finishing the story. I guess sometimes "more" isn't always better.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got my self the first Golden Sun when it was released as the critics were so positive, but in the end I didn't like the game too much. I'm not that much of a RPG-fan, so maybe that's the problem. I prefer persenol the more action orientated RPG's and that's maybe why I never realy got into the game.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

For some reason I couldn't get into it.....I'm going to sell mine, any takers? I have GS 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, I'm getting bummed in here. I know the second game had some openness that was a bit daunting, but I found that to be sort of refreshing compared to many RPGs which funnel you around.

Oh well, I still suggest strongly that all of you play through the games. You can't judge them until you play them both in order completely. Those who have seem to love it.

I sure do.
    -Mark

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

... @%*@($$@(% Stupid account signed off with no apparant reason and my first post wasn't submitted
    Man, I'm getting bummed in here. I know the second game had some openness that was a bit daunting, but I found that to be sort of refreshing compared to many RPGs which funnel you around.

Oh well, I still suggest strongly that all of you play through the games. You can't judge them until you play them both in order completely. Those who have seem to love it.

I sure do.
    Anyways, awesome, awesome, awesome games! I liked both of 'em a lot since they came from Camelot (SF series, BEST RPG SERIES EVER!)

Anyways the best part of the first game has to be the Colossus. I enjoyed it very much. It was fun having those small "mini-games" and then the final fight was very nice.

On a different note, TLA is awesome as well. The thing is that I've reached the last boss, but then I realized that I missed out on most of the summons... Got me really pissed.. I had to start it all over again! I wanted to enter the Anemos Sanctum... That's why.. So.. I went to gather all the Djinnis from the first game, easily beat the last boss, and started TLA all over again.

Now, I'm stuck at Treasure Island... Fighting the $#%**! Star Magician. The thing is that all of the guardians who guard the summons are quite strong... Anyways, back to the Star Magician. I'm trying to beat him with my strategy, which seems quite effective... But that guy has too much health (7000+ HP) o_o I'm getting tired after a while and I have no idea what to do... I know that I'll get my ass kicked once I reach Dullahan... Cirrus, help! x_x

On another different note, anyone has any idea how the blacksmith's system works? Is it the same way as it is in SF2 where you get a random weapon each time?

Overall, great games... Definately worth buying a GBA for
    This is the greatest gif ever NO!!!!!!!! THE SITE TOOK IT OFF :: :: :: :: :: ::
    Another good one! XD
    A weird flash

Thx to Harima Kenji from Wannabefansubs.net for the Avatar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boozi2
    ... @%*@($$@(% Stupid account signed off with no apparant reason and my first post wasn't submitted

I sure do.
    Anyways, awesome, awesome, awesome games! I liked both of 'em a lot since they came from Camelot (SF series, BEST RPG SERIES EVER!)

Anyways the best part of the first game has to be the Colossus. I enjoyed it very much. It was fun having those small "mini-games" and then the final fight was very nice.

On a different note, TLA is awesome as well. The thing is that I've reached the last boss, but then I realized that I missed out on most of the summons... Got me really pissed.. I had to start it all over again! I wanted to enter the Anemos Sanctum... That's why.. So.. I went to gather all the Djinnis from the first game, easily beat the last boss, and started TLA all over again.

Now, I'm stuck at Treasure Island... Fighting the $#%**! Star Magician. The thing is that all of the guardians who guard the summons are quite strong... Anyways, back to the Star Magician. I'm trying to beat him with my strategy, which seems quite effective... But that guy has too much health (7000+ HP) o_o I'm getting tired after a while and I have no idea what to do... I know that I'll get my ass kicked once I reach Dullahan... Cirrus, help! x_x

On another different note, anyone has any idea how the blacksmith's system works? Is it the same way as it is in SF2 where you get a random weapon each time?

Star Magician is quite easy if you do it right. First of all, leveling up in the long hallway in the Islet Cave (where the turtle takes you out to the little cave) is a good way to go. The Wonder Bird gives you a ton.

Anyway, take out the Guardian and Restore Balls on the Star Magician until he replaces them with Lightning Balls (or thunder, whatever). That way he won't be able to shield up. Don't bother with summons, just use good ones like Flash, etc.. that create shields. Keeping your djinn set makes your characters much tougher.

And as for the blacksmith, each raw material creates an item from a different set. For instance, the Orihalcon can make 5 different items, with a different chance of occuring. The rarest being the Excalibur (5%). Make sure you get that one.

And when/if you need help finding a djinn or fighting Dullahan... let me know. Also, post here when you beat the Star Magician!

Mark
    -Mark

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sure do.

Star Magician is quite easy if you do it right. First of all, leveling up in the long hallway in the Islet Cave (where the turtle takes you out to the little cave) is a good way to go. The Wonder Bird gives you a ton.

Anyway, take out the Guardian and Restore Balls on the Star Magician until he replaces them with Lightning Balls (or thunder, whatever). That way he won't be able to shield up. Don't bother with summons, just use good ones like Flash, etc.. that create shields. Keeping your djinn set makes your characters much tougher.

And as for the blacksmith, each raw material creates an item from a different set. For instance, the Orihalcon can make 5 different items, with a different chance of occuring. The rarest being the Excalibur (5%). Make sure you get that one.

And when/if you need help finding a djinn or fighting Dullahan... let me know. Also, post here when you beat the Star Magician!

Mark
    Thanks a lot I used the same tactic, alternating back and forth with Flash, Shade, and Granite. Also, I always use Kite to give Jenna the ability to heal and set/use Flash at the same round. Characters' levels are not that bad... 31-32 I think. Anyways, I have no idea where that Wonder Bird... Kinda confused about that. Also, I use the same characters throughout the game: Felix, Jenna, Sheba, and Pier. On a diff note, I have only one Orihaclon... Should I get few more in order to get more powerful weapons? Thanks again!
    This is the greatest gif ever NO!!!!!!!! THE SITE TOOK IT OFF :: :: :: :: :: ::
    Another good one! XD
    A weird flash

Thx to Harima Kenji from Wannabefansubs.net for the Avatar

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played the first one for about twenty minutes a couple nights ago. It felt more like I was reading RPG Stereotypes: The Novel than playing a videogame. Opening puzzle where your path is obstructed? Check. Can't leave town until objective is cleared? Check. Big badass boss attacks near the beginning and kills you instantly? Check.

If your opening is uninteresting, and I'm twenty goddam minutes into it without feeling like I'm playing a game, you've lost me. Except the game was already paid for, so you lost nothing, I guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks a lot I used the same tactic, alternating back and forth with Flash, Shade, and Granite. Also, I always use Kite to give Jenna the ability to heal and set/use Flash at the same round. Characters' levels are not that bad... 31-32 I think. Anyways, I have no idea where that Wonder Bird... Kinda confused about that. Also, I use the same characters throughout the game: Felix, Jenna, Sheba, and Pier. On a diff note, I have only one Orihaclon... Should I get few more in order to get more powerful weapons? Thanks again!
    Well, I pretty much use only his team, too, but when they die you still use your backup team.

As for the Orihalcons, you'll get more. Just keep resetting (save before you go in his house the first time) until you get the Excalibur.

The Islet Cave is southeast of the misty area in the center of the east sea. You'll need to give the turtle a little turtle to get taken out to an island. (It's a fetch quest thingy, check an FAQ.) There is where the wonder birds are... you need to use teleport in there. (Which you get in the Mars lighthouse.)
    -Mark