Thread: Metal Gear NES alternate ending?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Metal Gear NES alternate ending?

I was never excellent at the original Metal Gear game. I could get to the room with the super computer but never blow it up. I heard that there were a lot of things you had to do before you would be told how to blow it up and then you could do it (5 plastic explosives I believe, once you were told how). Anyway I could never get told because I did not know what to do.

A friend of mine had beaten it and I asked how. He said, as soon as you go into the room with the supercomputer, go immediately right without advancing into the room at all (run into the wall) and you will be transported into the room with Big Boss to fight him (there is a door on the right of the computer room but it would not open). I finally figured it out that it was to run into the wall as mentioned previously (my friend was vague). Then you can beat Big Boss and go up the elevator while the whole place explodes (normal game ending). But you do not have to beat the computer, etc. Basically any time after you get card 8 and the rocket launcher you can do this and "beat the game."

Jus thought I would share that, I found a walkthrough on the internet years later with no mention of this loophole, specifying that you had to do this and that to beat the game. My personal experience of finding a "bug" in a game.
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

That's bizarre. Maybe you should submit an FAQ to Gamefaqs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, this post reminds me of something, but I can't quite recall what. I have a vague memory of battling Big Boss without having destroyed the supercomputer. I don't remember how it happened. IIRC, Big Boss would simply not die. I hit him with everything I had but it was no good. If I was there because of the glitch you mention, maybe I didn't have the Rocket Launcher yet.

Again, my memory is really vague but it seems like I was "stuck" at this point. I couldn't beat Big Boss without destroying the computer, but I couldn't get from where I was back to the computer to destroy it. I think I had to abandon the password I was using at the time and restart from the beginning. That is, I think. It may have been that I didn't even know about the computer yet. I believe that was my first time through the game. It was a long time ago...
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell
    I do not even have the game any more. I definitely don't have time to write a FAQ. I just thought I would mention it here in case someone was interested.
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I remember this trick. Read it in the official Nintendo magazine that was released here back in the days.
    What I can remember it said that if you walked right you would beat the game, nothing about a secret ending.
    The trick should be well knowned i think

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its already added there:

Warp to final boss without battling the super computer
    When entering the Super Computer's room, stay in the door frame and push right on the control pad. You'll automatically warp to the final boss and won't have to worry about the base's self-destruc countdown that the computer's destruction usually starts. Now you have all the time you need to beat the last boss.
    Contributed By: Wallpaper Kid

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/code/587449.html

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember reading that in some book back in the game's heyday. I think the book was Jeff Rovin's "How to win at Nintendo games 2".

Man, it's been so long... you have to find Dr. Petrovitch before you can blow up the supercomputer, I forget what building... (I think it's building 2... I think you had to clear the second maze to get there) There's a series of rooms full of gas, almost like a maze. Punch a far left wall to reveal a door (Or maybe you use a card on an existing door, I forget) and fight the Fire Trooper, who guards Dr. Petrvitch. And I think you have to save his daughter before he'll tell you anything. She's in a cell just before the pitfall zone, is that building 2? Once you save those people I think it takes 16 plastic explosives to destroy the super computer. I used to use the "press right" cheat, but I like to do it the legitimate way now. More stuff to do, you know.

I can't remember anything I learned in highschool (if anything) I can barely remember half the electronics formulas and circuit configurations I learned at tech school, forgotten all the DOS command lines, but damn if I can't tell you how to destroy the supercomputer in Metal Gear!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ
    I used to use the "press right" cheat, but I like to do it the legitimate way now. More stuff to do, you know.
    If you want more stuff to do, emulate the original MSX version. You actually get to take down Metal Gear!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    If you want more stuff to do, emulate the original MSX version. You actually get to take down Metal Gear!
    Thanks for the tip, I shall play this! Come to think of it, I think I have the disk images somewhere. Just never got around to playing them!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was something I found. Oh well. I could never find Dr. Petrovitch and got lost somewhere, so this was the only way I could beat the game. They did not have walkthroughs then like they do now. I will retract the "secret" part.
    SNES Collector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember one day messing around with the password system and putting in random codes, and I actually got one to work (only time that's ever worked, btw). I got a weird combination of items and key cards (I had the rocket launcher but not plastic explosives, all but the first two key cards, etc), it was extremely weird. It would be kind of fun if someone could crack the code as to what passwords give you what items...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was playing this game recently to write a review about it and did the exact thing you just mentioned. Except that when I walked into the room with the supercomputer I accidentally fired a homing missile since for some reason I had it selected instead of my gun. After firing the missile I must've moved to the right and was transported directly to big boss. I've found that Metal Gear is absolutely chock full of bugs. From the simple translation errors to the more annoying pits that kill you even though they have yet to appear. You can also use your transceiver as a pit appears in order to make it go away, that's another game glitch. Anyways, it's certainly a fun game though the glitches can get frustrating, especially when they cost you a life. Hopefully we'll see my review in the review section soon
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to get lots of bogus codes to work. It seemed like the first 10 chars mattered the most, otherwise lots of variations after that worked. Something like I would mess up a code, and then just fill it all in with whatever letter I was stuck on and it would work (I believe that you could not go back when entering a code, so that you had to enter a bad code to get another chance). 5zzzj 0zzjg zzzzz zzzzz zzzzz something like that. It was a variation of a code with 4 stars that I messed up. The all z's seemed to work well on codes, also all i's seemed to work pretty good too, after entering the first 10 chars. Some bogus codes placed me starting close to the super computer with a time limit and like 2 stars or something. Other bogus codes I would start in the room you are taken to as prisoner with card 6 and not much else, and you could get into the room that is in the dark but not see. Usually the amount of stars the char had compared to the number should have had considering position in the game was off, so I always thought it was hopeless to try to win from starting like that.

Quote Originally Posted by vision89
    Except that when I walked into the room with the supercomputer I accidentally fired a homing missile since for some reason I had it selected instead of my gun.
    Probably because the room before the super computer is one that has the killing electrified tiles on the floor. There is no controller to blow up and stop it though.
    SNES Collector

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I forget the details and I can't find it anywhere on GameFaq's right now, but there's apparently a code that's something like "FUCK OFF1111 1111111 1111111" or something that works. Anybody know more about this?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Probably because the room before the super computer is one that has the killing electrified tiles on the floor. There is no controller to blow up and stop it though.
    Yeah you're right. I remember now, I selected the missile before I realized there was no panel. I actually went back in the room and destroyed the super computer instead of killing Big Boss first though. I didn't think about it to much at the time, I just assumed the timer probably wouldn't start until they both were destroyed. The bosses were almost ridiculously easy, well relatively. I certainly wouldn't think of any man who can take 10 or however many rockets to kill as any sort of wimp no matter how easy it is to hit him with them!
    Be excellent to one another. Party on dudes!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I remember one day messing around with the password system and putting in random codes, and I actually got one to work (only time that's ever worked, btw). I got a weird combination of items and key cards (I had the rocket launcher but not plastic explosives, all but the first two key cards, etc), it was extremely weird. It would be kind of fun if someone could crack the code as to what passwords give you what items...
    This happenned to me once too. My guess is they did have a very good error check on the passwords for this type of situation.

I always double and even triple checked my passwords in games and I was really pissed one time when a Metal Gear code didn't work when I was halfway through the game (this had to have been 14 years ago...God, I feel old now!!) . I got pissed and mashed a few buttons. I hit start and almost shit myself when it didn't give the eror. I had almost the same set up, except a boss was dead that couldn't have been yet, and I had a few extra items and a higher rank than I had before.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

I forget the details and I can't find it anywhere on GameFaq's right now, but there's apparently a code that's something like "FUCK OFF1111 1111111 1111111" or something that works. Anybody know more about this?
    It's actually just FUCKME, and the rest are 1's. What it does is it puts you right before the final boss with no armor, no weapons, nothing. Appropriately named, no?
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."