Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Default My impressions of the HDAdvance

(I know there's a topic about this already, but it's more to do with the HD Loader (which is practically the same thing) and a little more with were to get it and whatnot.)

A while back my girlfriend and I bought the HDAdvance discs because the thought of having our Playstation library on a hard drive was very appealing. I was also interested because I still get annoyed at long load times (Stuntman, I'm looking at you!) Plus, I love weird gray market tech type things.

Having got our discs, we realized we didn't have a spare hard drive sitting
    around, so the HDAdvance just gathered dust for a while. Long story short, recently I managed to get an old 60GB IBM Deskstar from a friend in exchange for some work on his computer, and after a trip to Gamestop to buy a used Network Adapter (also required to use the HDA,) I was finally ready to go.

In the package you get two discs and a Xeroxed sheet of cryptic instructions in Engrish and Japanese. For the most part, the instructions aren't necessary, but there is one feature they completely left out that is kind of important. I'll get to that later. One disc is for loading CDs, the other for DVDs. From the bottom, either could be confused for a Swap Magic disc, as they have the same weird bands which I'm assuming is why an un-modded PS2 will read them.

After you get your hard drive installed, you fire up the PS2 with one of the HDA discs in and it ask if you want to format the drive. Once the drive is
    formatted, you are on the main screen. On the left is the space where your games will be listed. The right corner shows the following options: Run, Convert, Delete and Rename.

Run should be pretty self explanatory. When you have games loaded, you highlight the game and then choose run (or you can just select it and hit X.) Delete, of course, removes a game from the drive and Rename allows you to rename it. Convert is what you choose to load the game and it's fairly straightforward.

The one thing to keep in mind, and here's the real reason for the two different discs, is if you are loading imports, you're still going to need a flip top or mod chip. For regular games, you can just hit the button for the drawer and because the PS2 reads the new TOC, it doesn't matter which HDA disc you start out with. For imports, you're going to have to swap them out, so if you're ripping a DVD game, be sure you loaded the HDA DVD disc.

Anyway, that's the basic rundown of what it's all about. It's really pretty easy to use and for the most part it works well. With something like this that is doing something the hardware and software designers clearly did not intend, it's kind of impressive just to see the thing working at all.

However, there are a few problems. First of all, loading games is a pretty slow process. This is probably due to hardware limitations in the PS2 or Network Adapter. Fortunately, you can hook your PS2 hard drive up to your computer and use a program like HDL_dump or WinHIIP to transfer your games much faster (and you can use this method for imports if you have no way to load them on your PS2.)

If you want to load a dual-layer DVD game such as Gran Turismo 4, you're going to have to use the PC loading method because HDA doesn't read the second layer. You also may have to load some other games via the PC as they seem to be compatible with the loader, but for some reason they won't load from the PS2 drive.

The back of the packaging claims 95% game compatibility, but it seems lower than that. Out of my collection of 20-some-odd games, I found two that flat out won't work, one that I had to load off the PC and patch to run properly, one that's missing music and another that locks up for no apparent reason. The games that work, do work beautifully and usually feature a slight improvement in load times.

That something important not mentioned in the manual may help compatibility on some games. It is a modes menu that can be accessed by highlighting a game and pressing select. For the record, here is what the modes supposedly do (I found this on another board):

mode 1 = slower hdd access
    mode 2 = enable dvd9 flattened to dvd5 support
    mode 3 = flush hdloader from ps2 memory upon loading game.
    And that brings me to completely unsuprizing point. Customer support on this thing is non-existant. Fortunately, there's a sizeable number of users out there with websites, message boards and game compatibility lists. Apparently HDAdvance is nearly the same as HD Loader, so information for one applys to the other.

Overall, I'm digging the HDAdvance. It's pretty cool to have my PS2 collection all on a hard drive, well, the games that work at least, saving wear and tear on the PS2 and the games. I also appreciate the shorter loading times and not having to swap discs to play imports. I'm hoping that with the next-gen gaming machines, someone might get smart and make this an official, and more compatible, feature because even though it's not perfect, the HDADvance is still a pretty beautiful thing.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WGMeets
    PSN
    wgmeets
    Steam
    wgmeets

wait a tick!! what is this thinger-ma-bobber you talking about?

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Compatibility is actually about 90% which is still damned good in my opinion. I think out of all the games I own, only God of War (dual layer), Star Wars Battleground, Gradius V and Lego Star Wars don't work (and those last two are CDs). Everything else is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I used mine last year at OKGE for my PS2. I could let people play whatever game they wanted without having to worry about my games walking off.

BTW, here is (from what I've found) the best HD Loader compatibility list: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.m...patibility.htm

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think ps2hd.com has a better compatibility list

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Which is the one I go by and reference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does it also work with PSone games?

If so, I wonder how it would cope with games like DDR and Vib Ribbon, which are virtually impossible to make decent copies of for use with ePSXe...

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Sadly not, the software can only be used for PS2 games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like this thing a lot it makes my PS2 just that much more protable. There is one more problem with it though. The PS2 cant read the HD Cd/dvd as well as retail cd/dvds.

Its helped out with some sound issues as well, KOF 2003 used to have a real hard time with sounds, but this thing just cleard that problem right up so it works flawlessly.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

One thing I forgot to mention, the main game I wanted to check out, Stuntman, is the one that keeps locking up. Sometimes it locks up when I'm loading my saved game. Othertimes it'll play fine for about 5-10 minutes, and then it's freeze time. Big time bummer, because the load times are chopped pretty dramatically, when it plays.

Oh and about the compatability lists, they are helpful, but I'm finding it's still a YMMV affair (see Stuntman above. Some people claim it works. *shrugs*) Plus, I think the lists are all based on loading your games through the PS2. Some games listed as incompatable (Gradius 3/4, for instance) will work if you rip the game to your hard drive using a "replace bad sectors" mode, and then load it to the PS2 drive.

Another side benefit, I'm finally able to play the "Death label" mode in DoDonpachi 3. If you have this game, you know that the PS2 actually resets itself when you switch to "death label" so if you use the swap method, like I do, it realizes all of a sudden there's a JPN PS2 disc in the drive and you get the black screen of death. Not so for the hard drive. I haven't checked to see if the drive actually spins up, but if it does, you've got your HDAdvance disc in there, so it thinks everything is copasetic. Huzzah!

I'm pretty stoaked about this thing overall. I just wish someone would have the foresight to make an official thing like this.