Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Here's another UPDATE.

The agent called me yesterday to tell me that the landlord had accepted another offer. I didn't get an opportunity to negotiate (though I wouldn't have anyway). I'm on the agent's list for the next local storefront that's available so I guess this place wasn't meant to be either. The good news is that I'm much better prepared for the next opportunity

Clearly this is "to be continued"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sorry to hear that Joe, but I wanted to relate a story that my sister told me last night.

Last month my sister was house shopping. She found the house of her dreams, and at a good price too. However, it seemed like the odds were against her. Nothing went right, people wouldn't return her calls, and eventually she just forgot about it. A week later, an even better deal opened up, all the pieces fell into place perfectly and she ended up with the house.

The first house she was looking at burned down a couple of days ago. That would have been just enough time for her to move in and have all her stuff in there. My sister asked the realtor about it (a family friend) and she said it was from an electrical fire.

Sometimes, things are meant for a reason, even if we don't know what that reason is just yet. Keep your eyes open for another location and keep us informed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's much better this way. When the next opportunity presents itself, you'll be more educated and wiser, and you'll know what to expect. To be honest, neither of those buildings sounded ideal, so I suspect a better location will become available. And, of course, this gives you more time to save up and work out the details of the master plan.

While I'm sure you're disappointed, you should feel glad for the free experience. I'll start saving up quarters for the opening night party when your store finally opens (but I'm not paying for anyone else's limo). Game on!
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Goodbye corporate America.

I resigned from my current job last week, my last day is September 9th (how's that, Dreamcast fans?). Full speed ahead!

I'm set with inventory and finances, and I'm perhaps just a few days away from the perfect location as well. I've been spending my nights with real estate agents and cruising around northern NJ and have found a great spot that has everything I'm looking for.

Clifton, NJ, former home of the store "Outer Limits!" which sold toys and comics. The vacated location is on the corner of a busy NJ road (Route 46), across the street from a middle school, in a nice middle-class neighborhood, and with nearly 2000 square feet of store space. The store still has the previous owner's slatwall wall to wall around the store, two bathrooms, a "back room" perfect for my LAN station, and parking in front of the store, on the side road at the corner, and in the parking lot out back. There are about eight other storefronts on the same block including a pizzeria, a bagel shop, a convenience store, a restaurant, a laundromat, and a deli. It's a slice of Americana that's dying for a bit of technology, new OR old. The rent falls right into my wheelhouse as well.

It's going to take a little work to renovate but not an excessive amount, and it appears that the entire basement of this store is available to me as well.

I'm meeting with the landlord on Tuesday, he's very receptive to the concept and seems willing to work with me. I have a long list of questions that I need to run by him but we could be off to the races as of Wednesday.

Stay tuned!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go Joe!!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Groovy-doovy Joe!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow! Very good news Joe! I hope everything goes well with this! Sounds like a primo location to boot!

Wish we had stores like this here in Houston. :/

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those with Google Earth that want to take a look at the general area, its either right around one of these places. (I used google to find the addresses of both of the middle schools, and both of them are on near Route 46)
    1400 Van Houten Avenue Clifton, New Jersey
    or
    350 Piaget Avenue, Clifton, New Jersey
    I think its the first one, because it seems to match up better with what Joe told us.
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Number 1 in the 'hood g!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    There are about eight other storefronts on the same block including a pizzeria, a bagel shop, a convenience store, a restaurant, a laundromat, and a deli.
    If there's a bar in the restaurant I'm in favor of this location.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a nice area. And your a genious for finding a location infront of a school. Good luck with everything.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

@FoodMonster: It's 387 Piaget Ave, Clifton, NJ

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From 1995-1996 I worked at/managed a game store on long island. I handled ordering/dealing with the repair tech/buy backs/ rentals/arcade game loans etc. If there's anything I can do to help or you just want to ask me a few questions I would be happy to share my experiences just shoot me a pm.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by rjs9009
    From 1995-1996 I worked at/managed a game store on long island. I handled ordering/dealing with the repair tech/buy backs/ rentals/arcade game loans etc. If there's anything I can do to help or you just want to ask me a few questions I would be happy to share my experiences just shoot me a pm.
    I really appreciate that! It's been a tremendous help having so many "mentors" through this process.

I'm going to be spending a few days at Sean Kely's store to "run things" with him, kind of a training program. I'll also be cleaning out his excess inventory

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Congrats, and good luck! What is your soon to be previous job?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by drewbrim
    I've been with my current company since May 1985. That's not a typo! It's a pharmaceutical industry data supplier and I've been in just about every department over the years. I leave as a development team business manager (in layman's terms, I manage a team of programmers).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congratulations! This sounds like it's really coming together, Joe. I wish you all the luck in the world, and Curt and I will definitely try to make the trek up there for a visit.

I've been with my current company since May 1985. That's not a typo! It's a pharmaceutical industry data supplier and I've been in just about every department over the years. I leave as a development team business manager (in layman's terms, I manage a team of programmers).
    If I'm not mistaken, you're still in your 30s? Did you have any other jobs before this one?
    "Where my finger goes is none of your goddamn business." -Metropolisforever

"my house is burning down as I type this because of a Sega AC adapter" -Oobgarm

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I allways assumed you were a professional BurgerTime player

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, even more kudos to you for having the stones to leave a job you've had for 20 years. I don't know how hard it was to leave, or whether you liked it or not, but I'm sure you were at the very least comfortable there.

So many people get stuck "waiting for the right time" to follow their dreams or to take a shot at happiness, that it eventually passes them by.

A small piece of uneducated advice (since I have never owned a store) I have from watching the retro stores in my area is make sure you have plenty of current gen stuff. It sounds like a no brainer but kids will only want to trade in their older stuff for the new madden or gta. For some reason a few of the stores around here never seemed to figure that out and they went under. And just to give you a little more confidence in your decision. There is a small chain around here that pisses on their competition (they even put a GameStop locale out of business). They seem to do it by making the prices very low (obvious) but when you trade in something the cash they offer is low, but the trade in value is decent. Which insures people trade in their games as opposed to you buying them from them. Which means your stock is always turning over, which means people like me stop in and buy somehting on almost a daily basis since there is always something new.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by fergojisan
    If I'm not mistaken, you're still in your 30s? Did you have any other jobs before this one?
    I'm 40. I started at this place when I was 19 and did both full-time work and college for two years. I had a few jobs before that but nothing full time.

@drewbrim: thanks for the advice, that is my plan as well. There will be plenty of current gen stuff there. I understand where the money lies! I've also had some great mentorship from others who run a similar business.

Thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Goodbye corporate America.

I resigned from my current job last week, my last day is September 9th (how's that, Dreamcast fans?). Full speed ahead!
    Congratulations Buddy. I'll miss running into you in the cafeteria and making deals in the parking lot. Although with the location so close I can easily pop over to the shop during lunch. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. (Don't forget you still owe me those CD's/DVDs from the last deal.)