Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Model 1 A/V Question.....

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Genesis Model 1 A/V Question.....

I just picked up a model 1 Genny from Goodwill today for $4.99, but it didn't come with power supply or a/v cables.

Now, I used to have one many, many moons ago and I've always used an RF adaptor so I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to Genny 1's a/v.

Looking at Ebay, all I see are MONO a/v cables for sale. Is the Genny 1 incapable of producing stereo sound, like it's Genny 3 successor?

What model number A/V do I want to use for my Genny 1?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Genesis Model 1 A/V Question.....

Quote Originally Posted by Damaramu
    I just picked up a model 1 Genny from Goodwill today for $4.99, but it didn't come with power supply or a/v cables.

Now, I used to have one many, many moons ago and I've always used an RF adaptor so I'm a little fuzzy when it comes to Genny 1's a/v.

Looking at Ebay, all I see are MONO a/v cables for sale. Is the Genny 1 incapable of producing stereo sound, like it's Genny 3 successor?

What model number A/V do I want to use for my Genny 1?
    The Gen 1 produces beautiful stereo sound, but it features only mono on the A/V jack... you'll have to either use the headphone jack for slightly distorted stereo sound or hack a pair of RCA jacks into the beastie.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lost Monkey is correct that only mono A/V cables exist from Sega for the Genny 1. I would also recomend using A/V for better picture and then using headphones or computer speakers (or any of many other alternatives) in the headphones jack to get the desired stero sound. If you are willing to mod existing Genny 1 A/V cables, or search the web to find some at very high prices, then I guess you could have dule mono sound so both speakers are used. I guess you could also hook up a 32X to the system if you can find the right adaptor and get stero/double mono that way. Goodluck though in whatever you do!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the mod prices are that bad (ok, so I do it and sell them myself :P ), D-lite has some nice Genesis 3's that have the mod done... I am sooo tempted to buy one (because I have never seen a genesis 3 in the wild)

This is one of mine that I'm selling how-ever, if you are handy with a soldering iron, this mod isn't that bad to do yourself.

also, you can buy a phono jack to RCA adapter for all of $3, and this will give you stereo sound from your TV or stereo/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the pinouts I have seen, the DIN jack on the back of the model 1 genny does have left and right stereo, just the original cable wasn't wired for it. Either that, or a majority of the sites I use to reference are wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do the SVideo/stereo upgrades as well. www.oldschoolgamer.ca and sell the standard cables on my Sales page also.

AFAIK, there is No Stereo from the rear AV DIN of the Genny 1. With the mod, if you ever use a SEGACD, the stereo mod allows you to skip the SEGACD mixing cable as well.

... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@Omnedon: Have you found Gen 2's with the Sony chip in them (for S-video) or are you adding a chip/circuit? All the Gen 2's I have found (over the years) have a Samsung chip with no S-video capability...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nah. No magic bullet there I'm sorry to say. I'd guess one in 5 Gen2's can go S-Video. Too bad too.

I took a quick look at the datasheet for the samsung chip, and it doesn't look to good for a mod. At least within my understanding. If someone could come up with a way, we would all rejoice!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seriously isn't possible, not without a team of scientists that get shrunk down in a tiny hi-tech ship and fly into the core of the chip and rewire it. But at this point were talking about a substantial budget with no hope of reclaiming losses by selling the media rights since it's a pretty lame subject to make a movie about.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy
    It seriously isn't possible, not without a team of scientists that get shrunk down in a tiny hi-tech ship and fly into the core of the chip and rewire it. But at this point were talking about a substantial budget with no hope of reclaiming losses by selling the media rights since it's a pretty lame subject to make a movie about.
    I'm sure it would have its own (albeit limited) audience.

I bet if you piggy-backed the necessary input lines to a capable chip, you could pull it off - but from what I have seen, the chips are not easily attainable and can usually only be found in Saturns, Gen 3's and a couple of the Playstation revisions...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default c

So the Gen 1 can be modded for stereo (or you can use the RCA jacks).

So is there a pin that isn't being used on the Gen 1's din or something (someone seemed to indicate this above)?

If so, instead of drilling holes in the case for RCA jacks, can't you just wire that unused pin and then use the real stereo din cables?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: c

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    So is there a pin that isn't being used on the Gen 1's din or something (someone seemed to indicate this above)?

If so, instead of drilling holes in the case for RCA jacks, can't you just wire that unused pin and then use the real stereo din cables?

-Rob
    There are only 8 pins on the Gen 1 A/V port...

1. red
    2. green
    3. blue
    4. sync
    5. composite video
    6. ground
    7. mono audio
    8. 5v

(not necessarily the correct order)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Monkey
    @Omnedon: Have you found Gen 2's with the Sony chip in them (for S-video) or are you adding a chip/circuit? All the Gen 2's I have found (over the years) have a Samsung chip with no S-video capability...
    I got one, the trick is to look through the holes on the bottom. If the motherboard and shield don't go all the way across, it's a late model gen2 with the Sony chip.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by john_soper
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Monkey
    I got one, the trick is to look through the holes on the bottom. If the motherboard and shield don't go all the way across, it's a late model gen2 with the Sony chip.
    Thanks! That is good to know.. I usually pass up a few Gen 2's every week, as I am sick of getting the Samsung chips...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

jsoper:

I'm looking at my modded gen2 right now, and an unmoddable one rightnow, and can find no difference. If you can help me spot it, I'l take a pic and post it for everyone...

Underside is identical. Serial on the unmoddable one is 640062755. MADE IN TAIWAN.

The one with the SONY chip is 743313212 . MADE IN CHINA.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

omnedon, I think I know what he is talking about. Look at the bottom of a few Genesis II systems. Look through the tiny holes, or slits, in the systems caseing. You will notice that on most of the systems (and by most I also mean the majority of the Genny IIs that can't be moded) have the circit board, and therefor that metal plate that surounds the circit board, extended almost all the way to the edge of the casing. Some systems, however, the golden '1 in 5', will have a smaller circit board and metal static shield leaving about an inch between the end of the board and the edge of the casing.

My theory is that as Sega had found whatever new technologies and methods to make such a smaller board, they noticed the system soon coming to an end. The age of 32-bit was aprocing, and the 32X just wouldn't cut it! In hopes of making just a little bit more profit while some people may still be buying the system, they decided to come out with the model 3. They decided to remove the expansion port to make it even smaller, and then they sold this final Genesis system. All theory of course, but makes since doesn't it.

I even opened my model 2 recently that has the smaller board, and while it has been a little while since I opened the other, older type of model 2, I think I found the chip that is suposed to be from Sony, as in I found a chip not from moterola where I thought I remembered the moterola chip being. It was from sanYo i think, I will chceck and get back to you later on the company. I am a beginer, I will confess, when it comes to moding the insides of the systems, and I would like to look and make sure I am looking at the right chip, and if I am (which I will confirm or disprove after I get some help locating the correct chip) I would like to know if this chip from another company has anything to do with, well, anything!

Hope I helped you a bit omnedon, and now I hope someone can help me figure out what is up with the chips in my system!

Game ON!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This discussion would be much better if people used the chip ID. The Sony chips that can be modded for S-Video are the CXA1145 and the CXA1645. The "other" chip is a KA2195D and it is definitely possible to mod for S-Video, BUT you will need to install another chip or a video encoder like the JROK. I say it is possible since you can pull RGB from the unit. The KA2195D does not output Luma or Chroma.

Regarding determining what Gen 2 has the CXA chips or not, there is no way of determining that without opening the system. I have opened at least 20 Genesis 2 systems and both the full board and the small board can have either chipset. And there are at least 5 different board revisions, several with each sized board.

And while I'm here:

Check out my site for Turbo Grafx/Duo, PCE, SuperGuns, and Sega Genesis mods and more.....
    http://www.multimods.com

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Lite
    Regarding determining what Gen 2 has the CXA chips or not, there is no way of determining that without opening the system. I have opened at least 20 Genesis 2 systems and both the full board and the small board can have either chipset. And there are at least 5 different board revisions, several with each sized board.
    OK, sorry if I mislead anyone but I saw that "short board" tip posted on usenet once and it worked for me on a flea market purchase. I still think you'll have much better odds finding the Sony chip on a short gen2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How is S-video with the Sony Genny 2? I like my Genny 2 the best for it's appearance, how it matches the Sega CD 2 as well as the 32X. Plus stereo outputted and
    lack of the headphone jack. But one thing I've noticed between this and my Genny 1s THROUGH A/V ON BOTH, is that text looks better than on the Genny 2. Albeit a SOFTER image overall, there is less uh...distortion? of the picture. Play SMS Choplifter on either Genny. The text is nice and normal looking on a Genny 1, and on the Genny 2 it's wide and choppy looking. Actually, the whole picture is choppy looking sorta on the Genny 2, though it's really only noticeable on things like text. I think I can also see vertical lines ala top loading NES. I don't see any of this on the Genny 1, and text looks okay. I am not sure if it just has to do with SHARPNESS on the unit. SMS Choplifter as well as Mega Man: Wily Wars look much better on the Genny 1, though different titles seem to look better on either or... Does the S-vid mod on either version add/remove any of these issues?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

if you are happy with just using the din metal shielding for ground, you could rewire the din and the av cable and use the specified ground pin as right audio, but i like to have my ground pin. another alternative would be to sacrifice the composite sync, lots of monitors accept composite video for sync, and if you absolutely need to, you can build an external converter box to get composite sync from composite video anyway, using an lm1881 sync separator. i can sell you those pretty cheap if you need. the schematic for the seperator circuit is on gamesx.com.

so, if you free up one pin, it can be done.