Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: PSP Emulation - Latest Emulators - RIN v1.26 Has Been Releas

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Is there anyway that I could send memory cards to somebody, and they could set my memory cards up, so that it would work?
    It's really not that hard to do. I had some trouble at first, but now that I've spent a day reading up and screwing around with the various programs and utilities, it's no sweat. SoulBlazer's post details the process pretty well, although he doesn't mention the MSwap Tool I've been using. And there's lots of help to be had on the PSP hacking sites. You can doo eet!!

How many different memory cards do you need to various emulators and roms loaded on them? Would I need a seperate one for each system?
    Y'know, I haven't tried multiple emus on a single Stick yet. If you have "only" two Sticks, you can copy your save-states from the Stick to your PC before copying another emulator from your PC onto the Stick. That's what I've been doing.

Also, what about if you play new PSP games on it? Do you think any new PSP games will automatically update the PSP to 1.51 or whatever?
    Apparently, all PSPs currently being sold in North America are 1.5, but if you use the Network Update feature or try to play certain PSP games online, you'll be upgraded to 1.51 or 1.52. Those revs will probably be cracked at some point, but I haven't yet seen a reliable workaround, so I'm leaving my WiFi switch in the "off" position. :)

I would love to peep this out though. Could somebody post some damn pics of what it looks like!!!!
    You mean, like a digital-camera walkthrough of the process? That'd be pretty cool. I might do that tonight if I get bored, unless someone beats me to it. :)

The only emus I'm "disappointed" with are the SNES ones, only because they're not yet running full-speed, but I'm holding out hope that they'll get 'em dialed in.

What would REALLY be nuts is if they get the Genny and TG-16 emus to run CD images. Can you bloody imagine?

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel

What would REALLY be nuts is if they get the Genny and TG-16 emus to run CD images. Can you bloody imagine?

-- Z.

Now that would be freaking crazy!!!

But, I do have some more questions

1. So it appears that maybe you need a seperate memory card for each retro system that you want to roll with. My question then would be....Can you use a small memory card, and if so, how much are the cheapest ones? I mean, let's say that you want to roll with the TG-16, Genesis, SNES, stuff like that. What could you fit on one of the cheapo memory cards for it? Again, total newb when it comes to PSP stuff.

2. Regarding the pics, I was actually just wanting to see pics of what a SNES game looks like on it, or a Genesis game or TG-16 game. I just want to see how it looks on the screen. And like the emulator start up screen or whatever, the rom selection screen. Basically any pics of any of it would be awesome.

3. Are you guys going to buy a bunch of extra memory cards now? So that you can have little virtual consoles with game collections on each one?

4. Oh, this is a big one. So you need 2 memory cards to do the swap right? Could you just use one memory card to swap with all the other individual memory cards, or would it need to be updated before, for each emulator you plan on using?

5. If not answered already, what is the cheapest memory card you can get for the PSP, and how would this memory card play a role in this scenario?

6. So, you are saying that you don't expect any upcoming PSP games to somehow automatically update you to 1.51, even if you don't go online with it, or turn on the wi-fi capability?

7. I've heard that the Japanese PSP's have much, much better screens than the U.S. version, but then you can't play U.S. UMD disks, right? I wonder if buying a Japanese version for the much better screen, would really be worth it from a standpoint of just playing emulators on them?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm definitely curious about all of this. Very interesting and very intriguing indeed.

I can see the sales of PSP's and memory cards spiking in the near future.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    1. So it appears that maybe you need a seperate memory card for each retro system that you want to roll with. My question then would be....Can you use a small memory card, and if so, how much are the cheapest ones? I mean, let's say that you want to roll with the TG-16, Genesis, SNES, stuff like that. What could you fit on one of the cheapo memory cards for it? Again, total newb when it comes to PSP stuff.
    Yep, you can use small ones. Most of the emus themselves are tiny (only MAME is much bigger than one meg), and most of the emus support ZIPped ROM files (which take up much less space). Most of the GB and NES files are tiny, and you could squeeze 100 or more games onto a 256MB card.

2. Regarding the pics, I was actually just wanting to see pics of what a SNES game looks like on it, or a Genesis game or TG-16 game. I just want to see how it looks on the screen. And like the emulator start up screen or whatever, the rom selection screen. Basically any pics of any of it would be awesome.
    Check out this page for pictures of the MAME emu in action:
    http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/mame071-psp.shtml Then click on the other emu links for more pics.

3. Are you guys going to buy a bunch of extra memory cards now? So that you can have little virtual consoles with game collections on each one?
    I might get a third card, so I can have two emus at any one time (and a third for swap purposes).

4. Oh, this is a big one. So you need 2 memory cards to do the swap right? Could you just use one memory card to swap with all the other individual memory cards, or would it need to be updated before, for each emulator you plan on using?
    I've read that you can use the same "boot file" for any emu, but I've been making separate boot files with the MSwap Tool. If you can use the same boot file, that would remove a step from the process (but it's not a hard/long step).

5. If not answered already, what is the cheapest memory card you can get for the PSP, and how would this memory card play a role in this scenario?
    I'm actually lucky enough to have an 8MB Stick, which is more than enough to work as the "boot" Stick. The boot file is not quite 17kb in size.

6. So, you are saying that you don't expect any upcoming PSP games to somehow automatically update you to 1.51, even if you don't go online with it, or turn on the wi-fi capability?
    It's very possible that a future PSP game will force a 1.51/1.52 update when you boot it up. It's just that this swap trick is so recent, I imagine it'll take Sony a while to respond with such a nasty tactic.

7. I've heard that the Japanese PSP's have much, much better screens than the U.S. version, but then you can't play U.S. UMD disks, right? I wonder if buying a Japanese version for the much better screen, would really be worth it from a standpoint of just playing emulators on them?
    I've read that US PSPs run Japanese UMDs, but I'm not sure about Japanese PSPs and US UMDs.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That pic of the mame menu looks amazingly like the first xbox emus. But then again, I guess it's hard to deviate too much between white text on black background :P

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I did'nt mention the MS Swap Tool, Zack, besides all the emulators I downloaded so far don't seem to NEED it. They allready have the boot files all set to go so I just copy them to my memory sticks. I think for some of the homebrew stuff you need it, though. All it does is convert a file into PSP format so the PSP reconizes it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I did'nt mention the MS Swap Tool, Zack, besides all the emulators I downloaded so far don't seem to NEED it. :hmm: They allready have the boot files all set to go so I just copy them to my memory sticks. I think for some of the homebrew stuff you need it, though. All it does is convert a file into PSP format so the PSP reconizes it.
    Nice! I need to DL my emus from wherever you're DLing yours. Mine have only come with READMEs, not bootfiles.

And on a barely-related note, there's now a fourth Genesis emu for the PSP, Dgen PSP v001. I haven't tried it yet--anyone else?

-- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Theres a tool that allows you to put multiple emulators on on card so you don't have to run them of different ones.

I use the 32 mb card that came with my PSP as the boot card and my 1 gb is where all my roms are in. I'm so happy.
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I did'nt mention the MS Swap Tool, Zack, besides all the emulators I downloaded so far don't seem to NEED it. They allready have the boot files all set to go so I just copy them to my memory sticks. I think for some of the homebrew stuff you need it, though. All it does is convert a file into PSP format so the PSP reconizes it.
    Nice! I need to DL my emus from wherever you're DLing yours. Mine have only come with READMEs, not bootfiles.

And on a barely-related note, there's now a fourth Genesis emu for the PSP, Dgen PSP v001. I haven't tried it yet--anyone else?

That 2nd new Genesis emu that came out yesterday along with the other one is great. Both of them have sound and almost, if not full speed.
    -- Z.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I you guys get a chance try the doom and doom 2 ports they really kick butt.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmtz
    Theres a tool that allows you to put multiple emulators on on card so you don't have to run them of different ones.

I use the 32 mb card that came with my PSP as the boot card and my 1 gb is where all my roms are in. I'm so happy.

Wow, that's sweet. So what all do you have on your 1 gb card?

What is the largest card one can get for the PSP and how much do they cost?

It's almost like the PSP is turning into a portable XBOX from an emulation standpoint! But instead of a huge hard drive, you need a huge memory card.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guys, you don't need multiple cards for multiple emulators, and you don't need a tool to get it to work either. You know how you make a folder PSP-DEV I think it's called, to put the emulator in? Just make a new folder PSP-DEV 2 and put the other emulator in there. The only problem is if you're playing NES and want to switch to SNES you have to do the swap trick all over again, but otherwise it works fine.

Been playing Ninja Gaiden for hours. It's so great to be able to save whenever. The PSP officially rules.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessChris
    Guys, you don't need multiple cards for multiple emulators, and you don't need a tool to get it to work either. You know how you make a folder PSP-DEV I think it's called, to put the emulator in? Just make a new folder PSP-DEV 2 and put the other emulator in there. The only problem is if you're playing NES and want to switch to SNES you have to do the swap trick all over again, but otherwise it works fine.
    Duh...thanks for the slap to the head! I just did the multiple-directory thing, and now I have the SNES, Genesis, NES, and TG-16 emus and ROMs on a single 512MB Stick. Most excellent!

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daft Punk
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Im glad I have 3 memory cards.

Even though my psp is getting traded for a modded X box this weekend.
    Excellent choice

But why not mod it yourself, its piss easy. Specially with no solder adaptors

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This was taken from kimosabe from the psphacker forums:

If you know what youre doing, corruption can be avoided easily....just:

Don't pull it out when the orange light is flickering
    Don't pull it out in USB Mode
    Don't put the PSP in sleep mode while apps are running, [just plug it into the adapter and hold the screen button until the screen turns off, then you could just put on hold...there you have it, a safe sleep mode]
    Don't pull out the card while an app is running.

This is all common sense.

not sure if this is the way to avoid corruption, but to be on the safe side, its good advice, but as he said, it is common sense (well the statement of not taking it out when its accessing in the card (orange light)).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PCE for PSP v0.62. Another just-came-out-todayer. Very hit-and-miss as to which ROMs work, but when it works, it's awesome.
    You just have the incorrect romset. Run your roms through "PCEToy" (rom renamer/fixer...probably available at zophar.net) and ALL of your roms will work, and just as good as Magic Engine Quite possibly the best emulator to date in terms of sound and speed (perfect basically), with NesterJ coming in right after.

Ohh, and someone asked earlier if USA UMD's will work on a Japanese system. The answer is yes, and this coming from a person that owns a v1.0 and v1.5 Japanese system. That is a yes for NOW, as I believe that the region locking can be coded inside the game...which they may do in the future. The whole emphasis on the portability of the unit has been that games you buy anywhere will work on it, so I think Sony may keep it that way....unless they want to crush importing someday in the future. What will NOT work are UMD based movies. They are region coded like DVD's, and USA movies will not work on the Japanese systems. It's funny too, because I tried the demo UMD from the USA unit in my Japanese PSP, and while the game demos worked, the movie and music video demos did not...actually they didn't even show up in the menus!

I am kind of missing the emulation section of DP that has been long gone. I enjoyed moderating there and passing along new emulation info like what has been done with this thread. What would be very cool is to bring back the emulation board, but only limit it to console emulation so to speak. Emulation ON consoles is what I mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes I also miss the emulation section of the forums. Bring it back Joe!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessChris

Been playing Ninja Gaiden for hours. It's so great to be able to save whenever. The PSP officially rules.

Could you take a pic of the PSP in your hands, with Ninja Gaiden on it?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    You just have the incorrect romset. Run your roms through "PCEToy" (rom renamer/fixer...probably available at zophar.net) and ALL of your roms will work, and just as good as Magic Engine :) Quite possibly the best emulator to date in terms of sound and speed (perfect basically), with NesterJ coming in right after.
    I love you. In an entirely hetero way, but still.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zektor
    You just have the incorrect romset. Run your roms through "PCEToy" (rom renamer/fixer...probably available at zophar.net) and ALL of your roms will work, and just as good as Magic Engine Quite possibly the best emulator to date in terms of sound and speed (perfect basically), with NesterJ coming in right after.
    I love you. In an entirely hetero way, but still.

-- Z.
    Hahaha!

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Dumb questions to make sure I'm doing this right:

RIght now I'm just playing around with NesterJ. I got the eboot files from the mswap program thingy over to my cards. Now:

- What do I do with the rest of the Nester program? Copy it over or just leave it on my computer?

- Where do the ROMs go? Should they be zipped or unzipped? What should the ending extension be?

Kristine