Thread: ever wanted a robot to play games with you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ever wanted a robot to play games with you?

hmm the pic dosent work so here is the link with a pic and the text for those that dont want to click on the link. also there is a video here to
    http://akihiko.shirai.as/projects/RoboGamer/

[2005 - active]

Abstract
    RoboGamer is a robotic system which is able to play a video game togather with a human player. In previous computer game systems, the computers are always designed as enemies to the human. However, in this project, we realized a physically connected friendly computer player by a simple robotic system that is composed of a video camera, wire based force feedback display SPIDAR and a program that made with GPU fast image recognition without any modification for original video game system. RoboGamer has three functions that are autonomous play, augmented effects like force feedback and/or rich graphics for original old video game and collaboration play with A.I. and human player via force feedback on the joystick.
    Screen Shot

Video

Version.2 MPEG1(35.3MB)
    Authors
    Akihiko Shirai, Lionel Dominjon, Masafumi Takahashi, Kazunori Miyata, Makoto Sato, Simon Richir

Publications
    (Unpublished) Akihiko Shirai, Lionel Dominjon, Masafumi Takahashi, Kazunori Miyata, Makoto Sato, Simon Richir, "RoboGamer: A robotic TV game player", ACE2005 (ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology), Spain Valencia, June 2005.

Acknowledgement

This work was supported by ENSAM Paris (France).
    And we have to thank to Valerie for English checking and Ingenierum students for demonstration.

This project has been presentated at ...
    Laval Virtual 2004
    ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Advances in Computer Entertainment Technology

(c) Akihiko Shirai All Rights Reserved.

this one is kind of easy - cool that someone did it - but i'd like to see him try to make it work with color games - now that would be a feat - it mentiones rich graphics but if hes just using pong then i dont think it plays street fighter just yet -- also isint the robot cheating by paying attention to your hand movements -- if that was the case - playing this thing with streetfighter your never win - they guy would program all the counters into it -- yes i know it doesn't play streetfighter yet

im sure robbie the robot didnt work by image -- how did that guy work - was it just part of the game code - i never had one

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Sorry, robots played games with me 20 years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not like this guy buddy - robbie was just a gimick\

check out the robots visual regognition - it reacts to the sprite -- also to your hand

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by googlefest1
    not like this guy buddy - robbie was just a gimick
    Oh no you didn't!

R.O.B. i my fucking LIFE BUDDY ok! He plays games with me all the time and I don't know where you get off calling him a gimmick but you know what, YOU'RE a gimmick, Not my R.O.B. I even sit him beside me to play games with me on my PS2, he watches, he gives me advice...GIMMICK! MEH! You should see him play with my Robosapien and see if you call him a GIMMICK!

People don't know what R.O.B. is all about, they underestimate him, just wait until I take over the world and I declare R.O.B. as second in command, you won't be calling him a gimmick then, you'll be dead by his RIGHT HAND! HIS BLOOD COVERED RIGHT HAND THAT HE USES TO DISPENSE JUSTICE AMOUNG NASAYING BASTARDS LIKE YOU!

In the mean time, here's a picture to illustrate my feelings toward your insolence...

Yeah bitch.....yeah.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thems be fighten words mr.

are you saying your robot tells you what to do?

since we all know robbie IS DUMBER THAN A LIGHT SWITCH! and cant to anything but sit there and look like hes begging to hold a roll of toilet paper - he must be a figment of your imaginination and any ones hands that would be bloody are yours holing a broken robbie claw

oh and you can tell robbie i said he looks like a fancy toilet buddy - before he comes to my house

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

R.O.B. is my buddy, neither of us tell the other what to do, we live mutually under common law marriage.

And your defiance and utter insolence will not be tolerated, like I already proclaimed, your blood will be spilled at R.O.B.'s right hand. Death is immenant, you may run but R.O.B.'s laser vision will find you, find you DEAD in your tracks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BRING'EM ON!!

Ill be wearing a laser reflective tutu and highly damaging balet shoes oh and if you still cant find me - ill be holding the robbie sux sign as well

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the mean time, here's a picture to illustrate my feelings toward your insolence...

Yeah bitch.....yeah.
    Uh..... yea... that girl looks like one of my ex-girlfriends... Wish I had a robot to fucking kill her!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think somebody needs to pay cmosfm's R.O.B. a visit...I want to hear the whole story behind this

Just imagine...it's just you and a brother/sister/boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse and if you had two of these guys (Mark IV version) you could have four player bomberman! Buy those Super Multi-Taps now!

It'd be damn cool if it didn't need controllers, just had a bunch of wires that it could stick into the port and configure (like say the expansion) or hax it!

omg, these critters could replace the human race someday