Thread: The Tower of Druaga

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default The Tower of Druaga

This was linked to in that article about Namco X Capcom I recently pointed out. I must say it's one of the funnier things I've read in a while.

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/feature.php?fea=Druaga

Has anyone here seriously tried playing through this game?

EDIT: New link is http://www.ntsc-uk.com/feature.php?f...edi&fea=Druaga
    Last edited by J'orfeaux; 03-11-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard that the extra dungeon in Tales of Destiny is basically a port of Tower of Druaga, and from that article I can believe it. In Tales of Destiny, there were clues as to what to do in the tower, but they were given by random villagers throughout the game so you had know idea what they were talking about. I couldn't get through that stupid tower without help.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I owned Namco Museum vol 3 I tried a bit of it. It was way too old and hard for me though.

I heard about that Tales thing too. I guess Namco are free to reuse ideas in that fashion.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    loonieman

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie View Post
    When I owned Namco Museum vol 3 I tried a bit of it. It was way too old and hard for me though.

I heard about that Tales thing too. I guess Namco are free to reuse ideas in that fashion.
    I got addicted to this game back when Namco Museum VOL. 3 was released. I find it funny that you'd even play an old arcade collection if you found the games "too old and hard". :-)

As for trying to complete the game... I gave it a serious playthrough back in the day, but I could never beat it. Anyone love this game like I once did?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I approve of this topic if only because it gives us a new "Hated in the West, loved in Japan" franchise to discuss than Hydlide. :P

I have much love for the original Tower of Druaga, but I've never come close to beating it. I have the first three volumes of the PlayStation Namco Museum collections, and I easily play Druaga more than any of the other games on those. Seriously. I'd be more inclined to start up Druaga than Pac-Man. I got The Blue Crystal Rod on Super Famicom and The Nightmare of Druaga on PS2, but I've yet to play those much and they're completely different anyway. I'd like to pick up the PC Engine Druaga sometime since it seems like it would be a more realistic goal to beat that than the arcade original. I really dig the Druaga dungeon in Baten Kaitos. That was a great tribute. It's just a shame that despite that I pre-ordered the Japanese version of Baten Kaitos, I never got the bonus Druaga GameCube game.

The series has great style too. It really has so much charm between the characters, visual style, and music. I'm not surprised they'd want to pay tribute to that in other games like Namco X Capcom.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I've played druaga quite a bit on namco museum comps throughout the years, and I honestly never knew it was that complex. I never could figure out what most of the items did anyway.

I will say this--the game is frustratungly diificult even without all the ridiculous little tasks and requirements you have to perorm. Your character moves so slow that once you get to the area with the magicians who shoot lightening at you, you're toast.

That said, am I the only one who thought return of ishtar was kinda cool? I got pretty good at controlling both characters using the playstation controller in namco museum vol. 4. I wonder if that game is as complex as the original. Seriously, I've spent hours playing druaga and I had no idea how crazy it got until I read this article.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

you have to get the speed up boots on level 2 or else its pretty much impossible to get much further.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Most of the items mentioned also make an appearance in Tales of Phantasia; if you manage to collect them all, you can get your character rank changed to "Druaga Maniac", as I recall.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)