Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Official Dreamcast Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game on this system?

Soul Calibur

What are some of your other favorites?

Jet Grind Radio, Outtrigger, Shenmue.

What games surprised you? Infuriated you?

Outtrigger was a really big suprise, I love it.

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

Yea I first played Sonic Adventure at a kisok.

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?

I actually got it in like 2003.

How many games do you have for it?

20 or less.

Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

Just late nights with friends playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dubiouscubanx

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    My favorite game has to be Sonic Adventure. I'm still amazed by the graphics, especially when on the bridge and the whale is chasing Sonic.

- What are some of your other favorites?
    Any of the Sega Sports 2K games.

- What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    I was completely suprised by Shenmue. Never before had I seen a game so in-depth and detailed. Rippin' Riders infuriated me. I never played Cool Boarders for the PSX, so I had a hard time getting used to the controls.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction? I first saw the system being used on MSNBC, I think it was an E3 report. It was Sonic Adventure. I was so impressed that I went out and preordered the system.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now? I sure did. I bought it the day it came out 9/9/99.

- How many games do you have for it? Back in the day, I had about 25 games. Now, I have about 10.

- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us? Skipping school to wait in line at EB to pick up my Dreamcast, and going home and playing it for the first time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    zebrassss

What is your favorite game on this system?
    I'm not sure since I haven't played that many, but I guess I'll go with Tennis 2k2

What are some of your other favorites?
    Street Fighter: Third Strike, Ikaruga, Under Defeat

What games surprised you?
    Ikaruga, I had heard alot of good things about this game, and haven't really been into the newer SHUMPS but, this game really is stunning visually and is alot of fun to play.
    Infuriated you?
    Star Wars: Jedi Power Battles, I can't even get past the first level! I don't know how to kill that stupid plane thing. I thought this game would be really fun, but actually its not and is kinda hard.

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Before I owned a DC, I don't think I've ever seen it in action, unfortunately

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    I did not own the system when it was released. I just bought a DC a few months ago.

How many games do you have for it?
    I have 6 legit games. Some homebrew software, and a few burnt games (I know, I know, but I don't want to have to spend 70+ dollars for Japanese games)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OatB0b

Smile Dream a dream

Favourites:
    Capcom vs SNK
    Chu Chu Rocket
    Crazy Taxi
    Fatal Fury / King of Fighters
    Jet Set Radio
    Ikaruga
    Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    Rez
    Seaman (I learned something about myself that month)
    Shenmue
    Soul Calibur (Souru Kyariba)
    Sonic Adventure
    Space Channel 5
    Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 (fun but infuriating, like all racing games)

Least favorites:
    Blue Stinger (character models show "joints" like an action figure)
    Mortal Kombat: Gold (I haven't seen a good MK game outside the arcades until recenly anyways)
    Sonic Shuffle (like Mario Hotel, a bas**** child of poor license decisions)
    Who Wants to Beat Up a Millionaire? (wow, suck!)
    Wrestling games

I vividly remember the heavy advertising campaign from back in the day, but the system was long gone before I tryed it for the first time. The VMUs confused me a bit, but the controller was easy to pick up compaired to the Dual Shock or the n64 controllers. I wouldn't pick up one of my own until January 2005, and I'm glad I did it then. That summer our local GameStop put everything on super clearance, and I came across lots of controllers and VMUs (several unopend in box!) at super cheap prices. As the Dreamcast stock between GameStop and the local pawn shops dried out, I started picking up the wrestling games and other things I wouldn't normally buy. That was when I figured I'ld go for a complete collection.

Currently I have 161 US games (including variants) with another 118 to go. I've also got another 20 Japanese imports. I'm always looking to buy anything that I don't have. I've got most of the official magazines, and am looking for the unofficial ones and other strat guides. I'ld love to buy a kiosk and dev unit some day.

I know it's said a lot, but the Dreamcast is by far the most overlooked system. I think its attributed to the shovelware that was multi-platform for the ps1 and n64. The lack of DVD seriously hurt it, but Dreamcast was right on the edge of not getting it, while the PS2 was right on the edge of getting it. A DVD addon was planned, but the Dreamcast didn't quite last long enough. Also, the lack of support from industry big hitters like EA and Square didn't help either. You can't say that Capcom didn't do their part though. Even their weakest games are fun to play, like Plasma Sword.

I recommend it to any Sega fan or collector. At less than 300 titles its a reasonable number to attain, and prices are rather low at the moment. The variants are rather well defined and are few. I would also recommend picking up a few consoles as the disc drives are extremely picky.

Last, and most important is to check out the homebrew and emulation scene. There are lots of truly uniqe titles out there that can be played without any mods. All you have to do is burn a regular cd-r with DiscJuggler (recommended) or Nero. Emulation is also superior to a PC because you actually have a game pad in your hands instead of a keyboard, though some do run slow.

I must repeat myself, fun to play, fun to collect.
    Last edited by OatBob; 05-03-2007 at 10:08 AM.
    it's thinking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Favorite game? Phantasy Star Online. I only played the single-player offline mode, but still, amazing.

Other games I love on the Dreamcast? South Park Rally, Unreal Tournament, Alien Front Online, Demolition Racer: No Exit, San Francisco Rush 2049, Vigilante 8: 2nd Offense (even with the painfully bad physics in comparison to other versions), Star Wars Demolition, and countless others.

Least favorite games? Wild Metal (I read good things about this one in the Official Dreamcast Magazine before it came out, only to find that it sucked balls), Red Dog, Heavy Metal Geomatrix, Space Channel 5 (this was my first rhythm game, which showed me that I have absolutely no rhythm whatsoever), Urban Chaos, Armada, Charge N' Blast, Fighting Force 2, and many others.

Did I own the system back in the day? Yep, bought it in December of 1999. I hadn't bought a modern game console since the Jaguar, and finally wanted to get something current. Bought Expendable as my first game, and a week or so later (on my birthday) bought Soul Fighter (total crap), Hydro Thunder, and Vigilante 8: Second Offense. About three weeks later, my father passed away, and I played a lot of DC games to distract myself from my grief.

How many games do I have for it? Around 90 to 100. What suprises me when I look at my collection is how few duds there are in comparison to my other consoles. Maybe I had better taste than in the olden days, or maybe it was because it was the first console that I could hop online and get honest reviews of the games before buying them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Apparently, I never did this?

Probably Powerstone 2. My friends and I used to plug that in back in the day and play it for about 3 hours every friday night. One time we played it for 6 hours straight!

Oh, there's a lot. Under Defeat, Border Down, Last Hope, Marvel vs Capcom, Sonic Adventure, Space Channel 5, Rez, Mr. Driller...and so on

Last Hope surprised me, because everyone online declared how much it sucked. I thought it was a boatload of fun! My dreamcast hasn't seen so much action in a while. On the same token it's hard as hell, so I'd wager that fulfills the infuriation.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction? First time I saw the system in action was early 99, when I went over to my friend Brian's place and saw his import Dreamcast that he had bought shortly after the japanese launch. I saw some Sonic Adventure, some King of Fighters, and some Alpha 3. I was impressed with how much better it looked than my PS1 and N64, although I wasn't exactly blown away by the visuals in the fighting games.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    I got my Dreamcast in late 2000, as I recall. Some months later the price dropped to the 50 bucks, and I got a chunk of games on the cheap. My original DC is packed away in the closet since it has that nasty resetting problem...I now use my friend's machine that he sold to me. It's region free, which makes it perfect for all the import games available nowadays.

- How many games do you have for it?

- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    Every Friday night in 2001, and into 2002, my friends would all gather at one of our number's basement, and play Dreamcast games all night. Powerstone 2 was a big one, as was capcom vs snk 1/2, marvel vs capcom 1/2, sf3 3rd strike, SNK fighters, Mr. Driller, Gauntlet...the list goes on. We only really stopped because people started having to work friday nights and saturday mornings...but for a while the world was our oyster.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Hands down, Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves. Especially with that lovely controller ACSII put out.

Jet Set, Grandia II, Cannon Spike, Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil: Code V.

Record of Lodoss. I wanted to like this game so badly, since I adore the anime. Then I found both Parn and Deedlit in the game and they have British accents. I hate voicing acting sometimes.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Wow, Sonic Adventure blows. Oh wow...so does Evolution. I hate this system. I'm returning it to Best Buy. Later when RE:CV was released I re-bought the system and loved it.

I got it for Christmas in '99, then returned it, then re-bought it later.

Perhaps 100 now.

I own a possessed copy of Crazy Taxi. Also, I wanted to get married on 9-9 the day the system launched. We also tried to make a cake for it on it's birthday.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Tune View Post
    I own a possessed copy of Crazy Taxi. Also, I wanted to get married on 9-9 the day the system launched. We also tried to make a cake for it on it's birthday.
    That is the day my wife and I got married; 9-9-2006

Anyways here goes:

Border Down and Under Defeat (overall)
    Tennis 2K2 and Cannon Spike (USA)

Zero Gunner 2, Radirgy, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, Rez, Jet Grind Radio, Chu Chu Rocket, Typing of the Dead, Grandia II, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, Feet of Fury (typing)

- What games surprised you?
    Virtua Tennis - I have never been so addicted to a tennis game!
    Typing of the Dead - Typing has never been so fun!

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Back in 1999 (my not gaming much days) My friend got the system at launch and I we went round for round in Soul Calibur. My thought was 'what an amazing game! It plays as good as it looks!'

- Did you own the system "back in the day"?
    I picked on up in fall of 2000 - right before the PS2 launched. But my home was robbed and I got another one (Sega Smash pack included) in 2001 with insurance cash. -How about now?- That system is with me today.

47 total (I just got Karous today!)

In the mid to late 90's I kind of drifted from playing video games and the Dreamcast kind of brought me back. Thanks again Sega!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Typing of the Dead.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bangaioh

Gun Bird 2, Vampire Chronicles, Guilty Gear X

Mark of the Wolves and Last Blade. If they only fixed the audio problems I could get rid of my Neo Geo.

It was decent but I didn't wet my pants over it. Soul Calibur looks great, but if you don't like the game - well - that doesn't help you out.

Yes, and Yes.

Robot, fight like a chicken!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ballermann2D's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Daytona USA 2001

Capcom vs. SNK 2, Virtua Fighter 3tb, Shikigami no Shiro 2, Jet Set Radio, MDK 2, Radilgy, Skies of Arcadia, Phantasy Star Online, Rez, Chu Chu Rocket, Tokyo Bus Guide

- What games surprised you?
    Jet Set Radio
    didnt like the game at first- mainly because of inline skaters- and i thought it was a "wannabe" cool game, but after completing it a few times it has become one of my favorites

- ...Infuriated you?
    MDK 2 at times

Sure, we´ve been playing VF3tb at a friend, who luckily got his DC one week before me- while i was still waiting for mine to arrive from Japan.
    i remember i have been a little bit underwhelmed by the graphics, but i didn´t care, since the game was / is so good... nowadays i also really love it´s graphics and prefer the overall look over Soul Calibur or Dead or Alive 2 (gameplay wise anyway)

- Did you own the system "back in the day"? Yes
    How about now?
    yes, got mine around one week after the japanese launch and still own it.
    playing on a modded US DC since May 2000 though

around 300 i think. japanese titles for the most part

"funniest" thing i remember has been the smell a few hours after i plunged my DC in for the first time... the smoking early PSX´es came to mind immediately.
    luckily it turned out that the cheap voltage converter which i got with my DC was melting and not my beloved system!

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Favorite game- Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue or Crazy Taxi
    Record of Lodoss war infuriated me.
    First time I say the system in action was at EB playing Sonic Adventures, and I was like WHOA!
    I owned the system "Back in the day" and now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    1. Favorite Game - currently, I'm addicted to Ms. Pacman Maze Madness, so I'll say that one.
    2. Other favorites include Air Force Delta, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, Blue Stinger, Caesars Palace 2000, and Star Wars Demolition.
    3. My most infuriating game is Kiss Psycho Circus. As a Kiss fan, I was expecting a lot, and was delivered NONE of it. Argh...
    4. The DC was the first game I purchased after the "poor game-less years" of high school, college, and immediately after college - so when I saw Soul Calibur and the NBA games I KNEW that my Genesis wasn't going to do the job anymore.
    5. I own just under 100 games for the DC now, mostly because I have a CRAPPY local collector market, so I have to win them on ebay or find them here on DP.

Oh, and I welcome this thread back to the current pages!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Dreamcast, besides my wife, it's the one lifetime commitment I will always have, as this system is the best thing ever. EVER!!! It has to be the last true gamers system with a lot of interesting and classic styled games.

My favorite game for the Dreamcast... that's really hard for me to choose, but at the end of the day, I'd have to say Project Justice. Got it new for $40 dollars way back in 2002, it was one of my first DC games and I still play it today. My other favorites have to be RE: CV (best version of the game, IMO), Grandia 2 (best RPG battle system around), and the Street Fighter 3 games (shouldn't have to explain).

Games that have surprised me.... Speed Devils. When I first saw it, I figured it'd be a mess of a game, but it's actually pretty good. I wouldn't call it a classic, but it's a very fun game. Also, Demolition Racer: No Exit is an EXCELLENT game. Kind of a Burnout before there was a Burnout. Infuriated.... right now my light gun games, but that's because I can't get the damn light guns to read right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Favorite Game: Tough choice! Probably Capcom Vs. SNK 2, I think I've put more time into that game than i'd care to admit.

Other favorites: Crazi Taxi, Soul Calibur, Ikaruga, Samba De Amigo, theres so many great games for the DC!

Surprising games: Space Channel 5 was surprising for me, and actually got me more interested in the music genre of gaming, which led me to Samba De Amigo.

Infuriating games: Ikaruga. But not infuriating in a bad way. No other game has gotten me so angry where beating it on any difficulty has made me feel like I just climbed Mt. Everest.

The first time I saw the DC being played was at a friends house, and we sat around playing Crazy Taxi for hours on end. To this day, i still like to pop in that game from time to time.

Never owned the system back in the day, but I picked one up about 5 or 6 months ago. Unfortunately, theres what seems to be water damage in and around the controller port, so i need to get it checked out.

As much as I hate to admit it, I only own one actual DC game: Crazy Taxi.

Well, I've brought my Dreamcast along with my games for it to multiple con's and parties, and most of the time the entire group of people with uys would be focused on just playing that for hours on end, having a great time.

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Favorite Game: Sakura Wars, it was my introduction to the series and I've been hooked since.

Other Favorites: Jet Grind Radio, Project Justice, and Power Stone.

Surprising Games: Jet Grind Radio, unique idea, great artstyle, and music.

Infurating Games: Space Channel 5, since I suck a rhythmn/memory games. Shenmue for requiring so much patience, and a story that moves so slowly.

First time I saw a DC in action was at an anime convention. It was hooked up in the game room, where two guys were playing Marvel vs Capcom 2. I was surprised that game was on another console. My immediate reacton was that the controller must be terrible for fighting games, and years later knowing this I aquired a DC joystick.

I didn't even know about the DC back in the day, and I doubt I would've had the money to buy one at the time. Of course now I have one, due to my retro collecting craze a year ago.

My current game count is twelve. Though my copy of Timestalkers is all scratched up, and unplayable, but I decided to include it anyways.

The only funny thing I could think of, is that I had at first when I aquired a Saturn and thought it was the bee's knees, and then got a DC a bit afterwards. I was still in love with the Saturn for some time. I only had like three games for the DC, and hardly played it in a span of a couple of months. Now my DC gets more playtime than my Saturn and I have more games for it too.
    Last edited by Arcade_Ness; 01-30-2009 at 01:15 PM.