0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Default Conversion of a non RPG gamer

Ever since my formative gaming years with the NES (Atari 2600 doesn’t apply), I’ve never been interested in RPG games, particularly turn-based ones. I’ve always been a fan of racing, puzzle, shooters, and more action-oriented games. Up through the SNES era, there have been a few RPGs that have caught my fancy, mainly due to a quirk in gameplay or an off-the-wall theme. Super Mario RPG and Earthbound, both of which I enjoyed thoroughly, had non-standard themes, and Shadowrun and Secret of Mana were more action-oriented. Even Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link was an action RPG, the only RPG-like game I owned until I started collecting.

Final Fantasy on NES did not interest me in the least. All of the SNES greats like Chrono Trigger, FFIII, and their brethren passed me by. I was on a Nintendo 64 kick with Goldeneye when FFVII dropped on the PlayStation, and all of the other RPG titles on the system couldn’t draw me in. I’ve got a good number of RPGs on PS2, and I’ve not gotten into a single one.

That’s not to say that I haven’t tried, though. Illusion of Gaia, Chrono Cross, FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, and Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne were all started and abandoned no more than a couple of hours in. During my collecting stint this past decade or so, I’ve picked up numerous RPG games, mainly due to the fact that I think they’re hard to find or some other reason along those lines. The Lunar series, Suikoden series, the Nippon-Ichi games Phantom Brave, Disgaea, and LaPucelle Tactics (although they’re more strategy-oriented), and Skies of Arcadia are just some of those titles.

My fiancée, Betty, who is known as Eternal Tune on these forums, has always been a huge RPG fan. Her collection consists of more RPGs than I can count, and that’s her specialty. I always throw in the obligatory “but I liked Secret of Mana” when we get on the topic of RPG games, but she always says something to the effect of “it’s an action game at heart”. I see the amount of entertainment and joy these games have given her, and I wish that I could get the same from my games. I mean, I love Contra, Gran Turismo, and a good number of other games, but her unbridled love for all things Suikoden and Lunar amazes me - that these story-driven games can really draw you in and ‘bond’ with you in a way others can’t. So what makes me not like something that sounds fun?

Perhaps one can chalk it up to the fact that I’ve never been much of a reader. One might say that it’s because I just can’t/won’t invest the large amount of time into a game, which many RPGs demand. Maybe it’s the level grinding I can’t take. Maybe I have no imagination. Maybe I’m just close-minded. Maybe I just haven’t found the one game that will open the floodgates, because I know I’m missing out on a genre that is booming and has a large, passionate following.

Over the past week, I’ve been watching Betty play Suikoden IV. Recruiting new characters, exploring new areas, the things that make this game fun for her. And at some point, I think something clicked for me. I needed to play more of these games, and this series was the one I was going to “initiate” myself with. I have all 4 games, so what’s holding me back? The combat (of which I’ve seen plenty of) seems well paced and the aspect of locating and recruiting 108 different characters really appeals to me.

So as of yesterday, I started my newfound quest into the realm of RPGs by starting the original Suikoden. Who knows, maybe once I get some experience under my belt and if I develop a liking for the genre, I might even tackle FFVII, a game I would never have expected myself to play and finally see what all the fuss is about. :P

I’ll update this as time goes on.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't suppose it really matter, everyone has genres they like and dislike. And as people change, it's only natural that personal tastes in gaming change too.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

welcome.... to the Dark Side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I too have a general disdain for RPGs. I don't know, they just don't do much for me. Over the years, however, I have found a few (mostly strat-RPGs) that I've enjoyed:

- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    - Vandal Hearts
    - Jade Empire
    - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

For the most part, it's the turn-based combat and endless exploration of towns talking to dozens of people that gets me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its fine to not like RPGs. I seem to be liking them less and liking action/shooter games more. That being said, Ive never played Suikoden. Final Fantasy VII, though, seems to be an RPG that non RPG fans can enjoy. I even got one of my friends to play it and at least he claims he enjoyed it. Vagrant Story is also good...
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found my entry into some light RPG playing by picking up a few that I could play on my GBA. That really helps mitigate the "time commitment" because then you mostly end up playing the thing during stolen moments throughout the day.

Plus, you don't end up feeling like you're "wasting" valuable console gaming time when you sit down in front of your television. For over a year now I've had a really hard time playing anything other than Steel Battalion: Line of Contact when I sit down in front of the TV, but I still play a variety of stuffs on my GBA, currently including Dragon Warrior.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    I too have a general disdain for RPGs. I don't know, they just don't do much for me. Over the years, however, I have found a few (mostly strat-RPGs) that I've enjoyed:

- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    - Vandal Hearts
    - Jade Empire
    - Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

For the most part, it's the turn-based combat and endless exploration of towns talking to dozens of people that gets me.
    Nice CWV avatar.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Halfway through your post I immediately thought about pointing out my own view that most RPGers tend to be avid readers, especially of fantasy/sci-fi. Then you said it.

For me - that's why I love RPGs. It's all about the story. Oh, sure - there's more to a good RPG than just the story, but the story is what drives me to play and complete them.

Hope you enjoy Suikoden - I sure did. I finished it a few days ago and wrote up a review that's been submitted to DP (but not posted yet). If you want to take a look at what I thought, check my website. If nothing else, Suik I isn't the time drain that some RPGs can be. If you find you liked that one, try to find some shorter ones (short for an RPG is 20 hours or less) and give em a shot. Not everyone has the patience/willingness to put in 50-60 hours for a game (or even the 100 or so that I put into FFX).

As Poofta! said, welcome to the Dark Side.

BTW - RPGamer is a good site for checking RPG games (including reviews that estimate time spent).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I enjoy reading posts like this.

I too seem to have the same "problem" per se. I guess you wouldn't nescesarily call it a problem, you like what you like. But the thing is, I want to get into these kinds of games, because I see where their strengths are, which is story and character development.

I think my main problem is just sticking with it. I'm sort of convinced that for me, it has more to do with some weird form of gamer's A.D.D., perhaps due in part to the huge exposure to many, many different games I've had since the rise of the internet. I mean, back when it was just me and the ole' NES, I had absolutely no problem sitting down with games like Dragon Warrior I, II, and seeing them through to their end. I think the urge to just go on to another game was less, it was more a case of "Ok, it's just me and this game, and I'm going to get through it..." It wasn't a forceful resolution either, as in I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to stick it out regardless of whether or not I liked it. It was a genuinely fun experience.

I still complete games. Whether it's on the PC(where I spend most of my time gaming, admittedly), or on the console. I guess I just don't have the same penchant I did as a kid for completing those more long-term type of games, which mostly happened to be RPGs. But the thing is, I refuse to accept this as simply "the way it is", and I've been making a decided effort to stick it out with such long-term games, RPG or no, and see them through to their conclusion, AND most importantly of all, enjoy myself while doing it.

I think I will.

In any event, thanks for relating this whole thing with us Oob, and good luck in your quest for RPG enlightenment!