8 12.70%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THE Ultimate Question!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default THE Ultimate Question!

This has got to be the ultimate question, regardless of whether you are a collector, or simply buying a game to play yourself...

We all have our thoughts regarding this issue, but thought it's about time we had a clear and decisive answer from everyone's point of view.

Question: What would you class as a "Brand New" game?

I, along with many others no doubt, will class a game as "Brand New" ONLY if it is sealed in it's original cellophane.

A game which is not sealed I do not class as brand new, even if it is by all technical definition.

Example One: Release day.

You buy a game at 10am on release day, take it home, and decide you don't like it, so return ita few hours later.

Now, is that game still considered "Brand New"? The retailer technically shouldn't resell that game as "Brand New" because it has been played, but could rightly do so as technically it is a "Newly Released" game, and it is still day of release...

Example Two: Older "New" games.

Take GameBoy Advance games for the sake of example. A game which was perhaps released a full year ago, but has remained unsold all this time.

Even though it is still on sale in the shop, would you consider it as "Brand New" simply for the fact that it has not been sold previously?

The game box may have encountered hundreds of fingers, as well as amassed much dirt and dust from being stored on teh shop shelf. It may actually be a bit tatty as well, but would youaccept it as "New"?

Example Three: Reseals

A sealed game's case has been accidently damaged in storage or on the shop shelf.. The staff have then unsealed it, replaced the damaged case, and then resealed the game with shrinkwrap.

Would you still consider this as being "Brand New"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

edit: can't be bothered.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What is the meaning of life?

Is there a God?

What happens to you after you die?

Is there intelligent life beyond our solar system?

What would you class as a "Brand New" game?

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because someone had to say it:

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brand New is just that- the way it was originally released at the retail level. It can be 20 years old, but if it is factory sealed with shelf wear then it is Brand New.
    Unlike some of the CRAZY sellers on E-bay who say Brand New- then you receive the item that has been opened, but is in great shape, maybe never played, possibly missing 1 little thing, it is NOT new. Mint maybe but not new.
    Like Electronics Boutique- which opens All their shelf stock for display, which I will not buy if I want New, I think even this deems the game not new as human hands have touched it before mine have, and I am the one laying down the cash for a new game.
    New means New

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its not new unless it has that new smell with it. You cannot, by any means, call a game new if its in mint condition and NOT sealed. It implies that there has been some sort of use since the seal has been broken off of it. Once the seal is broken, a game can only be classified by the Mint/Near Mint/ Very Good etc. class, and not by "BRAND NEW!1111"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it ain't got the seal, it ain't got appeal.

Seriously, I don't collect brand new, or even technically complete. I just need the box, game and instructions (+maps where applicable) and thats good enough for my shelf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell i bought an Import version of Jewel Master with chocolate on the cover!

Im not bothered one bit! To me a game is a game! (As long as it works!)

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphor Dot Fossils
    Because someone had to say it:

Nice one, PDF. Beat me to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually don't agree that a game can't be brand new if it's not sealed.

I equate "Brand New/New" with "Never Used." A game can be sealed or not sealed and still be in pristine, mint condition.

You could say, "Brand New with original factory seal" or "Brand New without original factory seal."

All that matters is if it the contents are in anyway altered from their original condition.

If I buy a sealed copy of Stack Up and open it, but never play it, it's still "new". It still hasn't been used; not altered from it's orginal condition.

The outer wrapping doesn't change that fact.

I feel that "sealed" is it's own distinction; it's own category.

New = Not Used
    (This means that the whole thing is as minty as can be, but not sealed)

Sealed = Not Opened
    (This doesn't necessarily imply that you're getting anything but the game in mint condition.)

A "sealed" game's packaging can be in minty condition just as easily as shitty condition. Ever see a sealed game with the wrap looking like it's about to discintegrate? Or just plain beat to hell?

The game is still new, but who cares if it's sealed in this case. The packaging was used to scrub the floor.

Anyway, this is just how I look at it.

I equate it to a car. Let's say I go to a showroom and pick out a "new" car.

No one has owned it, or even used it for that matter. So, for me, it's "new". It may have some miles on it from other test drivers, but that doesn't mean that it's still not a "new" car.

If you equate the same arguement used for "Sealed = New" in this example, the car would have to have shrinkwrap on it at the dealership for it to be a "new" car.

Silly.

Just remember that buying "Sealed" games is a means to TRY to ensure that the contents are in complete working order. People have an innate fear that if it's not sealed, then something must be wrong with it.

If you're at the counter and the clerk removes the shrink wrap in front of you, does that mean it's now a used game?

Of course not.

New = Not Used
    Sealed = Not Opened

Just my opinion.

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Brand New = Just like it left the factory floor with original shrinkwap

Cut and dry. Bag and Tag. Period.

Anything else is "Almost Like New" or "Open But Never Played" (stupid) or "Brand New but box is a little crushed" or "Near Mint" or "Complete in excellent condition"

But Brand New only means one thing.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only way you could call a game new is if it's in the original packaging, sealed.

That's not to say I *care* to buy sealed games, but it has to be new to be sealed.

I prefer used, or used and complete.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And I always thought that the answer to the Ultimate Question was 42...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by NESVIDIOT
    Brand New is just that- the way it was originally released at the retail level. It can be 20 years old, but if it is factory sealed with shelf wear then it is Brand New.
    Summed up quite well there. My exact way of thinking.

You could have a sealed copy of Final Fantasy VII in 20 years time, which has endured a few cracks and knocks, yet it will still be brand new!

Put next to a similar unsealed copy which has been kicking around a game shop store cupboard for the same length of time... There's no comparison!

eBay sellers are still allowed to get away with claiming that unsealed, or resealed games are brand new.

Take PAL Metal Gear Solid III for example - Although sealed ones are few and far between, many sellers still sell their unsealed copies as "Brand New - Never Played" - But they cannot guarantee the game is unplayed just as much as you can't tell if it has or not.

HMV for example - Ofetn play Cd's in store, and then plonk them back on the shelves. They'll also gladly tak back returns (Bought by mistake most people claim) and they'll put them out to be sold again - Which I believe is wrong.

Like Electronics Boutique- which opens All their shelf stock for display, which I will not buy if I want New, I think even this deems the game not new as human hands have touched it before mine have, and I am the one laying down the cash for a new game.
    New means New
    And in the same post, you totally acknowledged my exact way of thinking! Nice one!

I cannot believe that they can get away with this business practice still. especially seeing as they expect people to pay up to £44.99 (Ok, in the most extreme circumstance) for a game.

If i'm paying my hard earned cash on something that costs that much, i'm going to make sure the product I buy is 100% perefct. Hell, I expect them to clean my boots while they are at it for the kind of money I spend on my games!

And I know what you mean about the difference between "Mint" and "New" - Just because it is bought from a <Ahem> "Respectable" retailer, it does not necessarily mean the product is "new". The only sure fire way to guarantee that a game is 100% new is to make sure you only buy sealed games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what about systems?

in most cases(other then current gen consoles) they didn't have a seal
    12 US SMS games to go
    74 US DC games to go

Now Playing:
    Guild Wars:
    (W/Me Furby Slayer)
    (Mo/R Goat Herder Teo)
    Riviera: the promised land

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Sealed. It's not new unless it's sealed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you saw a NES game on sale in your local GameStation advertised as brand new, but it wasn't sealed, would you believe them?

Likewise, if you found a copy of Suikoden for sale in GAME (Albeit with a £100 price tag) but it wasn't sealed, but they claim it was in storage in their back room all along - Would you believe them? Even if the game was minty mint mint?

As for systems - a lot are usually sealed. PlayStations usually have a PlayStation foil strip over the opening, and I know most Nintendo consoles have circular stickers with "Nintendo" written on them which are also placed over the opening flaps

I think so far, the poll is pretty conclusive. This makes for great college case study material if nothing else (To anyone out there who wanted to base a thesis on this phenomenon)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Working at a Gamestop, I get this a lot from some customers, but here is my take on it.

New means one of two things to me:

1. The game is factory sealed

2. We had to gut the game, but it has never been played.

When someone asks for a new game, I always give them the first option first. It's the last unlucky soul that gets the gut copy, but most of the time they don't really care.

The people that bother me are the ones that are super anal about USED items. I've had some people say they won't buy a used item because of one tiny scratch. Seriously, just easy up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kuros
    The people that bother me are the ones that are super anal about USED items. I've had some people say they won't buy a used item because of one tiny scratch. Seriously, just easy up.
    I am lucky that I know the people who work in my local GAME quite well, and they know fine well not to even suggest giving me a game that isn't sealed.

I have to laugh everytime they get a newbie working there - A quick nudge and wink to one of the others, and then the fun starts as I get into role and badger him / her about all sorts!

You should see the others chuckling to themselves, and how much of a fluster the n00b gets into! Lol!

But yeah, I am anal about such things as slightly torn cellophane of all things! Especially if I am buying off eBay... God help anyone who sends me a game in a jiffy (Resulting in it getting cracked) or worse - An unsealed game instead of a sealed copy!!!

This happened this morning, which is actually the main reason for creating this thread - So that I can send the seller a link so that he can see that I am not the only person who believes that "Brand New" means sealed...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuros
    I am lucky that I know the people who work in my local GAME quite well, and they know fine well not to even suggest giving me a game that isn't sealed.

I have to laugh everytime they get a newbie working there - A quick nudge and wink to one of the others, and then the fun starts as I get into role and badger him / her about all sorts!

You should see the others chuckling to themselves, and how much of a fluster the n00b gets into! Lol!

But yeah, I am anal about such things as slightly torn cellophane of all things! Especially if I am buying off eBay... God help anyone who sends me a game in a jiffy (Resulting in it getting cracked) or worse - An unsealed game instead of a sealed copy!!!

This happened this morning, which is actually the main reason for creating this thread - So that I can send the seller a link so that he can see that I am not the only person who believes that "Brand New" means sealed...
    Well, I can understand that new = sealed

But used... some people expect used to equal new, which of course isn't the case. I wish that GS had to require cases and manuals for games, it would make selling them easier.