Thread: 1990 Powerfest Guide, does anyone else have one of these?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 1990 Powerfest Guide, does anyone else have one of these?

Hi,

I just bought a 1990 Powerfest Guide off of Ebay last week, and I went around looking for any info on it, but I couldn't find any. It is the same size as the 1990 NWC guide and even has some of the same pages on the inside as well. Around half of the games featured inside are different though, and many of the pics of the NWC are different too. It also has a super cheesy ad from Reebok (for who knows what reason. ).

Anyways here are the pics.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1373710

I took pics of both my NWC 1990 guide, and the rare Powerfest 1990 guide.

Does anyone have any info on the Powerfest guide, or maybe an approx. value? Maybe someone else here has one too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got one (and a NWC guide too). Got it off Ebay a few years ago along with one of those Wizard movie booklets that they gave out at the screenings. I don't know much about it but I was kind of surprised how much it looked like the NWC guide. With the exception of a couple of ads and pages, they look basically the same. I think I heard that the Power Fest guides were actually handed out at the NWC's but I'm not positive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nintendo World Championships events had their name changed to Nintendo Powerfest events at some point during the run (later in the run, I think). Thus, they likely just updated the NWC guide to the PowerFest guide.
    "Dost thou love me?" "No" "But thou must!"

My Video Game Journal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I heard that the NWC was first titled the Nintendo PowerFest 1990 and then quickly renamed to the Nintendo World Championships 1990 at an early stage of the events. Anybody have any evidence to support this or prove me wrong? It would be nice to have some clarification on this

Also, nice find with that PowerFest guide! I never even knew these existed

-Speedy
    I'm always looking for new boxed NES accessories. If you've got any for sale, shoot me a PM!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

Speedy, that is basically correct. As for the Powerfest guide, I believe that was given out only at one or two shows...pretty sure, anyway. I'm pretty sure the name was changed quite early....remember seeing an explanaion why...can't seem to remember where...

If anyone who has a powerfest guide wants to sell it to me, send me a PM. I've been looking for one for a while. Of course, I'd pay you over what you payed for it.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: d

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Speedy, that is basically correct. As for the Powerfest guide, I believe that was given out only at one or two shows...pretty sure, anyway. I'm pretty sure the name was changed quite early....remember seeing an explanaion why...can't seem to remember where...

If anyone who has a powerfest guide wants to sell it to me, send me a PM. I've been looking for one for a while. Of course, I'd pay you over what you payed for it.

-Rob

Thanks for the help Rbudrick. I was thinking that the NWC 1990 was changed to the Powerfest 1990, because alot of the games that say "coming soon" in the NWC 1990 guide, have a released date already given in the Powerfest 1990 guide.
    I was also thinking that the Powerfest 1990 guide may only have been given out at a select few spots on the Tour (maybe the last couple cities). I see a NWC 1990 guide every few weeks on Ebay, and this is the first Powerfest guide I have ever seen.

Good luck getting one. They are pretty cool to have. I got mine for a $20 buy it now, and I think that is a great deal for one. I paid around $40 for the NWC guide though. Keep searching Ebay, and Norkusa has one as well, so maybe he would part with it for a price.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

BTW, folks, I've got an incredible interview with Ben Smith, an ex-Nintendo Game Play Counselor from the 80s and 90s coming soon to TRM's (Dave Allwein) site The Warp Zone ( www.planetnintendo.com/thewarpzone ). He was one of the few GPCs to do the actual NWC tour and I actually met him at one of them. I'll keep ya posted when it's finally up, as I know Dave has ben extremely bust lately.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!