Thread: A growing trend in remakes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Default A growing trend in remakes

Note that this is what I've seen so far discussed at various places online or articles/reviews I've read. I have yet to play the games mentioned here so in case I may be wrong, please please correct me.

Bring out the ticker tape and the booze, Conker, Live and Reloaded has hit the scene. From what I've gathered the visuals are pretty stunning. Even though it was pretty much originally intended to be a multiplayer game, it also contains the N64 cult classic Conker's Bad Fur Day that has been enhanced for the Xbox.

Or has it...

From what I've read, there have been some negative changes to the game that fans of the original will notice almost immediately.

-Extended censoring. If you are remaking an M rated game and keeping it an M rated game, why would you censor it more? Reports from the web say words that weren't bleeped on the N64 version are in the Xbox remake. Most notably is the Great Mighty Poo's song, where swear words are replaced with fart noises. Supposedly the uncensored (or at least the original version) of the dialog can be unlocked by getting like 6,000 kills in Live multiplayer (though this could be false).

-Sections of the game removed. I guess they were deemed "too difficult" and thus makes the game shorter and easier.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a Star Wars fan getting their X Wing Fighter Pilot orange Underoos in a bunch over Lucas making Greedo shoot first, but this is a game we're talking about. The added censorship part just isn't right (though I'm not sure how extensive it is...any one have this game and can clarify?). Kinda like watering down Robocop but leaving the "R" rating or what Mel Gibson did to The Passion.... Yanking out sections to make the game easier just plain sucks as well. Not right.

As retreads of more recent games are starting to get popular, do you think we'll see these same situations occurring? Thoughts, comments, smart remarks?

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know, I've seen some pretty direct ports [without much alteration] especially on the PS and GBA. Take, say, the GBA's Legend of Zelda. Instead of removing features, they added some linking abilities among other things.

I do think direct ports, however, eventually lead to a downward tread in innovation. You're just playing something you played years ago, again.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

WHY would they censor it....back when it came out curse words in games were very much a NONO. Now, I hear the word "fuck" in many variations thousands of times in GTA: VC, but Conker gets a few less graphic words bleeped out AND a huge red WARNING label on the front.

Too hard? I breezed right through the first one.

Well, I planned to buy it for the remake eventually, but now I'll pass on this too.