Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP Emulation: Where do I begin?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default PSP Emulation: Where do I begin?

I was hoping to find what I need in this thread:
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63291

There's some good info in there but it's been edited over several weeks and things changed fast.

I can find the emulators themselves easily enough, but what does a PSP owner need to do to get started? I'm looking forward to playing TurboGrafx and Genesis on my PSP!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

The easiest way is to download the pack that someone made that already has all the emulators in it, and already have the exploit applied to them. You just need to transfer it to your PSP. It's called the "KXsploit homebrew pack". You should be able to find it at PSPhacker.com. Then you can just add your ROMs and you're good to go.

As far as what you need, just a PSP thats 1.50 or less, a USB cable, and a memory card. The 32 meg will do if you are only going to play a few games, but I assume that you probably already have a bigger one.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"The Ultimate Homebrew Guide" from PSP Hacker:
    http://www.psphacker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2323

I found the part about splitting the emulator files confusing, so there is kind people like this guy that did all the hard work for you. You just download the exploit pack that contain all the emulators available, extract all the folders to your "Games" folder on your PSP, insert your ROM's, and you're all set. Check the "ReadMe" file in the Exploit Pack for detailed instructions:

KXSploit Pack v.2.0
    http://www.psphacker.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2925

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    damionitc

OK....I want to note that I have posted the software twice. makes Installing Eboots easier then coloring outside the lines. Wait make that three times now.

this software will install an emu or other homebrew software all you need to do is have your PSP Connected Via USB and Direct the program to the file you want to install. It will even HIDE the corrupt Files that are used to boot EMUs it just hides them. It dosen't make them go away.

Now something to note on that link is the BIGGER KB/MB Eboot file is the one you want to use when installing. If theres only one then thats the one you want. this program starting out is essential.

After that it's cake, now to move rom files over to your fav emu you need to look for the file devoid (THAT DOES NOT HAVE ANY) of the ~ or the % thats the file you want the ROMS in.

BTW don't do the exploit pack thing these Emulators have been coming out EVERYDAY with updates and there not making a new exploit pack everyday.

For PCengine I recommend PCEP for PSP v0.7 No slow down and pretty decent sound support the new HuE still can't do sound right.

Now for genesis I'm going with PSPGenesis v0.13 for PSP you'll need to clock up your PSP for some games (by Pressing X in the rom selection screen)

Also another prgram I would recommend would be PSPersonalize v1.0 To make custom backgrounds on your PSP. Take an Image 300X170 Place it on the memory card (in the ROOT of memory card) Number it 01 though 12 and this program will find it and place it as that months background. I currently have the SDF-1 as this months background.

anyhoo thats it from me so far.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll already know this if you've read all of the previous posts.

the PSP emu stuff for firmware v. 1.50 is REALLY EASY.

But, it does require some READING. All of the answers can be found at www.psphacker.com (as stated above).

It's a small time investment to read up on this stuff, but once you get through a few pages you'll be golden -

If you clicked this thread and read this post first, go back to the top, read it all and go to PSPhacker.com all the answers are there.

Game on!
    ("Hi Wayne....Hi......")

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm sure that this has been asked like crazy, but is this going to screw up my PSP?

I really don't want to wreck it for very obvious reasons!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

No, nothing will harm your PSP. The only effect you may notice is that if you overclock the PSP to 333 MHz (which the games of the PSP don't use) you will use the battery charge faster. That's it. It won't damage the PSP. And overlocking the emulators is often needed to get it to run well.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mind has now been blown. I can't believe that PSP Emulation already works this well.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Me too. It's been going on for a long time actually - but only recently was the 1.50 firmware hacked which REALLY opened the floodgates.

It's going to get interesting when each new game requires the user to upgrade their firmware. You'll really have to make a choice between playing the new hot PSP game - but at the same time destroying any ability for you to play emulators (until the upgrade is hacked) - or not buying those new games until the firmware upgrades are 'figured out'

either that or buy 2 PSPs. ^_^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be skipping new games until each upgrade is cracked thank you!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    No, nothing will harm your PSP. The only effect you may notice is that if you overclock the PSP to 333 MHz (which the games of the PSP don't use) you will use the battery charge faster. That's it. It won't damage the PSP. And overlocking the emulators is often needed to get it to run well.
    Need to correct this. You are not overclocking the PSP to 333MHz. The clock speed of the PSP's processor is 333MHz, "overclocking" simply removes the cap.

To answer the original question, download kexploit_1.5. Read the instructions, plug your PSP into your PC, and you're set. Also note that if you play your PSP online, you will no longer be capable of using homebrew apps. You essentially have to choose one or the other unless you want to buy two PSP's (you rich bastard...).

EDIT: Grammar.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by XxMe2NiKxX
    To answer the original question, download kexploit_1.5. Read the instructions, plug your PSP into your PC, and you're set. Also note that if you play your PSP online, you will no longer be capable of using homebrew apps. You essentially have to choose one or the other unless you want to buy two PSP's (you rich bastard...).
    See, I've already seen a few different ways to get started, so there seems to be a difference of opinion as to which was is best or easiest... still, I don't mind trying a few different paths, at least if I do get stuck I've got a backup plan.

You mention kexploit_1.5. Where do I find that?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxMe2NiKxX
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Need to correct this. You are not overclocking the PSP to 333MHz. The clock speed of the PSP's processor is 333MHz, "overclocking" simply removes the cap.

EDIT: Grammar.
    So If I download emulators, and then go play a game online, I can't use my emulators anymore?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DP were you able to get the emulators started on your PSP. Remember just in case no one has mentioned it. DON'T UPGRADE YOUR FIRMWARE!!! The easiest way is to download the pack and place it on your PSP memory card. Buy a big memory card. 1GB!!
    All my meseta if you can guess what CMTZ stands for.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where can I find (insert anything psp emu related here)?

www.psphacker.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    You mention kexploit_1.5. Where do I find that?
    Follow the 2nd link I made in my first post in this thread. It'll take you right to it. It's been updated to v2.0, so the emulators in it are more current.

That's all you'll need (besides roms).

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Kxpolit homebrew pack is a decent way to get started, but everyoe really should take the time (all of 15 minutes) to learn how to do this yourselves so you aren't waiting on someone else everytime a new game/emu/app you want to try comes out.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

For those looking to get started, I found this tutorial very thorough and simple to follow!

http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-kxploit-howto.php