Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: which game secret/easter egg remained hidden longest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini-Phoenix
    I think Goldeneye would have to be a contender here!

So many years RARE stated that there were "NO" secret codes which could be pressed to get things. They always said that to unlock the goodies you had to earn them by playing the game well enough...

But a few years ago (A few years after they announced the proverbial death of the N64) - Lo and behold, here were some cheats which surfaced for Goldeneye which allowed you to gain the bonus's via button presses!!!!
    God yeah i remember that. It pissed me off cause i earned everything myself

and i mean everything . Damn unlocking invincibilty was hard

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Towering Inferno and Kool-Aid Man for the 2600 were kept hidden longer than the E.T. one.

Right Scott?

Kristine

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know really about Adventure, I was just trying to recall what I read about. But I'm still fairly sure it took more than 1 year, and it was discovered by a 12 year old, at least according to the book I read.
    "If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Haoie
    I don't know really about Adventure, I was just trying to recall what I read about. But I'm still fairly sure it took more than 1 year, and it was discovered by a 12 year old, at least according to the book I read.
    Was that 12 year old, Joe of Digitalpress by chance? -> http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...r=asc&start=13

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The secret I discovered years ago on how to get 28 P-wings in SMB3 without having to beat the game first, has got to be the record. And no, I'm not telling anyone (and I hope no one else has discovered it and posted it on the net or else my harbouring of this secret for all these years will have been moot).

P.S.-here's one hint: you get the 28 P-wings (well it's technically 27 and a whistle) in the hidden mushroom house at the end of 1-3, IF you do all the right things leading up to that point.

...And for the record, no I don't care if nobody believes me. I just think that it's beyond cool that I discovered a secret (glitch?) in an incredibly popular game that I have never read about or seen mention of in the 15 years since the game was released.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Insert Coin (Level 0) Master Chu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is 100% true. I remember back in about '95 or '96 reading an issue of Game Players magazine where this guy discovered the most bizzarre secret i ever saw in my life. I'm almost positive it was on Contra-The Alien Wars for SNES...

There was like a long list of obscure events that had to take place and then you were transported to another dimension.....inhabited by dinosaurs..... :/

I wish i still had that mag but it's long gone, has anyone ever heard of this one ?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That actually sounds like Contra Hard Corps....

In the second level, there's a hidden room where you fight three bosses, one of which is a really bizarre simon belmont ripoff that uses a fish as a boomerang (he actually comes in the room and picks it up - then flashes like simon) and has a whip... there's two other bosses, and after beating the third, you're sucked through a portal into prehistoric times, where you become some kind of royalty... and the game ends.

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Master Chu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjax

In the second level, there's a hidden room where you fight three bosses, one of which is a really bizarre simon belmont ripoff that uses a fish as a boomerang (he actually comes in the room and picks it up - then flashes like simon) and has a whip... there's two other bosses, and after beating the third, you're sucked through a portal into prehistoric times, where you become some kind of royalty... and the game ends.

Thank you!

Now i gotta go look up what system that's for and ROM the hell out of it...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chu
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjax

Thank you!

Now i gotta go look up what system that's for and ROM the hell out of it...
    Well, lemmie help out a bit....

Contra: Hard Corps is a Genesis game... and this all refers to the USA version.... the Japanese version of the game is quite a bit easier, but I have no idea if the easter egg is in it, but I'd have to think so.... (the japanese version gives you three hit points per life, instead of instant death on each hit on the USA version...)

Anyway, beat the first lever via either path (research lab or follow deadeye joe) and get to the second level. When you reach the midboss, this junky looking boss that comes out of the ground and spins his arms at you, defeat him. Normally, to continue with the game, you walk forward and drop down into the base that the cutscene guy was talking about. However, to do the egg, climb up on the last wall you reach before the dropdown. you should climb up a cliff for a while and will eventually reach a ledge that leads offscreen to the right. Inside here are the three bosses, and just beat them to get the bizarre ending...

Join the Konami All Stars and get FREE stuff!

Visit the Prototype Archive - System Failure - A really old backup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well... I forgot about this but I had never seen the 5th extra lives trick in Space Invaders Pt 2/Deluxe until I posted about it on the web about 3 or 4 years ago. Now it seems to be pretty well known.

I discovered that trick myself when I was a kid and only let it out of the bag then.. IF it was a secret easter egg (and one that no one else knew as far as I could tell), then it's an easter egg that had been kept secret for about 23 YEARS. That's gotta be the record

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For all those wondering about the metroid code, it's :

NARPAS SWORD0
    000000 000000

and thats for infinite life and missiles.

You're welcome =)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is also the Chris Houlihan room in Zelda : A Link to the Past. I don't know how much time it took to be discovered, but I remember it was discussed a lot around the end of 2003.

Here is a link about it :
    http://www.angelfire.com/sk2/snesres...houlroom.shtml

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Home Alone 2 for NES

Now does anyone remember a few years back in a magazine, one of the games programmers revield that if you collect the darts and go up to this certain room and use all the darts in front of the closet while pushing up, you warp to a furtur level! But the cool thing is that the warp zone screen is a picture of the programmer teling you you have just used his warp! But do not push any buttons while his message is on, because it will put you back on level 1!

Some say that this is for the snes version, but I am certain it is the nes version, and I cannot find anything about it online!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Master Chu
    This is 100% true. I remember back in about '95 or '96 reading an issue of Game Players magazine where this guy discovered the most bizzarre secret i ever saw in my life. I'm almost positive it was on Contra-The Alien Wars for SNES...
    Everybody and their BROTHER has seen that! It's in the Genesis Contra; you go through the junkyard and climb up a wall above a door. Fight the three bosses and voila...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The anchor in Mario 3. Seriously. Has anybody ever seen it? Where the fuck is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Or the teapot in Castlevania. Probably just an unused sprite. On a multi-person project, it's not unusual for somebody to throw code into the game that's unused.

There's always the Citadel in Goldeneye for an example; it was nearly ten years before that was found (in the game!)

There's also a cool entry in the Rogue Squadron (II?) game on N64; that one included a Naboo Starfighter as a code-only entry. The game came out before Episode 1, too!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chuplayer
    The anchor in Mario 3. Seriously. Has anybody ever seen it? Where the fuck is it?
    The anchor i have gotten as well as the white ship and the white house. I have 3 more of which im sure have been written but i seldom hear people talk about. the first is...

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time:If you look into the windows at the area where u talk to young princess zelda at hyrule castle there are portraits of Mario and a Bob-omb
    If you throw a bomb in there it says something like leave me alone.

Super Mario World-Special, if you beat the star road by getting all the keys u get a world called special if u beat special the whole world is diffrent it seems it has aged some.

Super Mario 3 when you are at Bowsers ship level instead of fighting the ships just fall into the "lava" u can swim in it and swim under the ships.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Home Alone 2 for NES

Quote Originally Posted by Oniudra
    Now does anyone remember a few years back in a magazine, one of the games programmers revield that if you collect the darts and go up to this certain room and use all the darts in front of the closet while pushing up, you warp to a furtur level! But the cool thing is that the warp zone screen is a picture of the programmer teling you you have just used his warp! But do not push any buttons while his message is on, because it will put you back on level 1!

Some say that this is for the snes version, but I am certain it is the nes version, and I cannot find anything about it online!
    Erm...I'd love to try to help you out on that, but you kinda neglected to mention the game's title. Just letting ya know. :P
    "First, we have aspirin. A common cure for things that aspirin cures. Leads to.....rabies."

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I was a kid I remember discovering debug modes for Sonic, and Jurassic park for Sega Genesis. Boy was that fun!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Summer Soldier

I know this is no record, but remember back when Nintendo issued statements that it was ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to get the ice key in Banjo Kazooie? Then they later printed that you could get it with the code, as well as all these magic eggs (actual easter eggs, heh).

Also, there are still bugs and glitches being discovered in Super Mario 64. The board there on Gamefaqs has become this small civilized community of bug seekers. Its pretty cool, with some of the vids they have there.
    In a land beyond sight...