Thread: anyone into making their own games"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default anyone into making their own games"?

What kind of programs do you use? Im really into wanting to make one but yet have to get some kind of expierence since I dont know anything about creating a game.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, there's the RPG and Fighter Maker games. But other than that, I would guess you'd need some programming knoweledge.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Way back in the day, I used to program games. I actually ran a Qbasic magazine in 98 or so (people knock Qbasic, but I think it's a great place to start and you can really do pretty much anything you want to - I saw guys do raycasting, texture mapping, inline assembly, etc.). It was very popular for quite a while; I think you can still find it on the net if you search for "qb:tm".

The only game of mine I still play is a mini-game called "Dual Sticks." It's only 1kb of code, and the graphics are as simple as you can get, but I like the game a lot. Basically, there are two lines (blue and green) starting in the middle of the left and right sides of the screen. Somewhere on the screen (random), two boxes (also blue/green) appear. The player controls both "lines" simultaneously (8-direction movement) using the number keypad (right hand) and qweadzxc (left hand). If a blue line touches a green line or box, it's a "death". You can go through the sides and top/bottom of the screen to the other side. The goal is to have both lines "hit" their respective colors at the exact same time. The closer the times are to each other, the higher the score. There are 100 levels total (so it's maybe a 15 minute game all told), with each level making the lines move faster Tetris style. Good stuff.

I wrote a really in-depth Zelda-style game as well. 4 spells, 8 enemies (with different AI's) and 144 8 tile by 8 tile maps (made up of hundreds of tiles). I can't find the game now though - I have an Iomega disc that I think has the game on it, so hopefully I can find some way to open it.

Today, I use c++ once in a while for math related algos, but that's about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If I could ever find a Win 95 PC to hook my yaroze up to, I think I could work out a basic text adventure