Thread: DP Podcast?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DP Podcast?

Since Apple's recent support of podcasts for itunes, I've downloaded several excellent podcasts on video games. There are maybe 6-8 video game podcasts on itunes right now in total.

I'd love to see a Digital Press one at some point. I know the content would be superb and it would serve as great publicity for Digital Press and its offerings.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I guess I can Google and find out more, but can you share what a podcast is? I'm all up for publicity and whatnot.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A podcast is a downloadable audio program to listen to on your computer or ipod. It is like amateur radio on the internet. Programs are typically 30-90 minutes long.

Gaming Steve is my favorite podcast thus far:

http://www.gamingsteve.com/

BTW, I think the keynotes from the CGEXPO would ge a great start for program content if you decide to do one.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can compare the concept of a PODcast to the concept of what TiVo does - Mainly in regards to the way that the content is digested by the 'end consumer.'

With TiVo - you record your TV show - which was originally meant to be viewed at a certain time, but now you can digest that content any time you want. In addition to that you are not even restricted to watching it on your TV - you could export it and watch it on another device that supports video.

With a PODcast - think of it as a nugget of audio content that can be any length and can exist in any 'format' - by 'format' I mean that it could sound like a talk-radio show or it could sound like a DJ mix for example. The original point was to download these and toss them onto your iPod (or personal media player) and you can digest them any time that you want. The interesting part about podcasts is that it's not really about the medium (listening to it on your iPod is not the point) It's all about digesting the content anytime that you want - you can burn it onto a CD and listen in your car, listen on your PC, or your portable media player, etc.

I actually hosted my first PODcast of sorts 2 weeks ago. I hosted a show on SIRIUS satellite radio (shameless plug) and then I recorded the show as an .mp3 and I have it hosted on my website (see my sig for the link) and it's available for download @ http://feedmegoodtunes.blogspot.com/...ite-radio.html
    Now though this was not originally meant to be a PODcast - it fits the idea very well, and thus it becomes a PODcast. The only real restriction is that a PODcast is usually pretty long, at least 30 minutes.

I've actually been doing a lot of thinking about creating a videogame releated podcast (but not grounded in talking about games or reviews, etc) But rather basing it on videogame music ONLY.

If anyone would like to work on this with me, all I would really need are ideas for really good songs from games to use in the mix. I plan on gathering all the songs and then actually doing a mix 'live' with my turntables and then recording that as the PODcast. So input is welcome. PM me, or post more here to talk about it. I would need you to supply me with the .mp3 of the song that you suggest though. I would not mind 'branding' it as the DP podcast either.

I'm not sure if this bleeds into OFF TOPIC since it's not really about a certain game or game news...MODs do your thing and I'll do mine ^_^.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'd be happy to assist, Jive3D. Give me a shout and let me know what you need!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm really looking for those few good game songs that you can listen to over and over - they can either be from Soundtrack CDs or exported from the game itself (like using the .wav export function in a NES emulator for example).

Take the intro theme to GTA3 for example, that's an excellent song! I'm also going to use some stuff from REZ, Metal Gear Solid 2, and Metroid (NES) to name a few. Probably try to choose the best song from all 6 megman NES games - that's something I could really use help on!!

So really, I'm just looking for solid suggestions, mostly something upbeat - Like Electronic Communication (from Super Adventure Rockman & Rockman 8) - we'd want to avoid the almost subtle type of music that's found in say, Shenmue (like when Ryo is walking around Yamnose - it's a great song, but not really great for a mix).

So If you've got any ideas, please spring 'em on me.