View Poll Results: fav. suvival horror game series.

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Resident Evil

28 52.83%
  • Fatal Frame

4 7.55%
  • Alone in the Dark

0 0%
  • Silent Hill

17 32.08%
  • Clock Tower

2 3.77%
  • Siren

0 0%
  • D

2 3.77%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Horror Game Series

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now see, Im torn here. Horror is my favorite gaming genre & I've played at least one game in each series listed in the poll above.

Silent Hill was a fantastic experience- I rented it first, played through it by candlelight using a guide, but that didnt ruin anything for me- I bought it as soon as I found it used. Since then I got SH2 the day it came out or soon after, & right now Im working on the secret "UFO" ending in SH3. It's gonna be a b*tch getting through the subway & home using only the Sexy Beam! Havent played SH4 yet.

My first experience w/ Resident Evil was w/ the Directors Cut DualShock version, I'd bought it (w/ Diablo) as my first PS1 games (I got on the bandwagon late.) I was walking along, wondering what all the fuss over this game (& how scary could it be?) was about, when the f'ing dog smashed through the window. I guess that did it for me. I was hooked on survival horror from then on. DIdnt care for RE2 or Code: Veronica X but RE3 was OK. Working on RE: Dead Aim w/ a Guncon2 right now.

Fatal Frame & Clock Tower are close runners up- Ive only played the 1st FF & I'll say it's best done using a surround sound system & leave it at that! The first Clock Tower is obviously dated but still a good game. IMO they did a good thing w/ CT3, though gameplay is a bit repetitive & simplistic. The cinema of the little girl being bashed w/ a sledgehammer still shocks me.

I enjoyed the first "D", but once I figured out what to do I got playtime down to less than 2 hrs- ZERO replay value. I sold it for 5x what I paid. I started D2 on Dreamcast but, as so many of my other games, cant find time to get back into it- & from recent posts here, I know I have to!

I rented Alone in the Dark for PS & got to the 2nd disc, but IIRC a glitch prevented me from progressing farther, at he circle of stones/steles. I got it used last year, & have since finished the Carnby storyline & began Aline's, but again- it's something I'll have to find time to get back into.

I started Siren awhile back, but got tired having to do the little vignettes repeatedly. Trial-&-error gameplay kinda bugs me. Maybe I'll get back into it someday.

Some others not mentioned that fit the genre & I highly recommend: Echo Night & Juggernaut (PS), Neither are really jump-out-at-you scary, but just give you that kinda creepy feeling. Juggernaut is a 3-disc game & has more of that "D"/Myst feel to it. EN's graphics are kinda weak & old-timey, but that fits the game's storyline. I picked up EN: Beyond for PS2 but again...havent had time to play!

Ooh, looking back on this, sorry for the length- I got kinda carried away.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Chose clock tower, since it's very novel. And thought it would merit at least a vote, afterall so many people are into RE it has more than enough support to go around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic insanester
    just in case anyone forgot, enemy zero is part of the d series.
    well it is and it isnt, it does star the same character (laura) but the game has nothing to do with her d story, its more of a side adventure if anything. great game by the way, as it incorporates sound only to let you know the enemy is nearby!
    www.worldofgamespublishing.com
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Insert Coin (Level 0) The Plucky Little Ninja's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had to put my vote in for Resident Evil simply because there are so many games in the series that I've enjoyed. That being said, I loved Clock Tower 3 (haven't played either of the first two yet), and as shocking as the sledgehammer scene was I didn't think it had anything on the acid bath from chapter two. I seriously remember shutting the system down later and thinking sweet holy shit, I can't believe I just saw that.

Leave it to a video game to have two moment of gore that leave every splatter flick I've seen in the past decade seem limp by comparison.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the looks of it I'm going to have to go and try D. I've heard that it was really good but never have had a chance to play either of them. I really like clock tower also. I've played some of the resident evil games but couldn't get used to the camera angle and the way the character moved. Silent Hill is just so creepy. Fatal frame was also really good. Fatal Frame and Silent Hill are the only series that I can play through without totally crappin my pant's, even though Silent Hill I still have a little trouble with.
    Feedback - http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...hlight=Alucard

I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it. You can't prove anything!
    Now you know and knowing is half of the battle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Resident Evil. I missed RE3 on the PS1 and went out a bought it yesterday.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll go with silent hill for the twisted creepiness, RE a close second for the scare factor. You also forgot to add Dino Crisis.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good ol' claustrophobic, creepy as hell, atmospheric Fatal Frame. Love it.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of those listed I like resident evil but doesn't splatterhouse count as a horror series?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

Resident Evil. I never really got into any of the other survival horror games.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The controls on RE are pretty bad and hinder any chance of full emersion for me. I really liked the silent hill games though due to their tense situations and lack of zombies walking on to the screen grumbling ArragaAGgghh... they need new dialog.

^^Sig by felix. PM me if you want a custom sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKidd
    Of those listed I like resident evil but doesn't splatterhouse count as a horror series?
    I would just describe that game as a "horror" side scrolling game, not a "survival horror" game where you solve puzzles, find things, solve missions, etc.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I vote for Silent Hill. Everytime I go outside in the darkness and it's foggy, it reminds me of that game.

D was a great game, too short though.

I remember playing the original Clock Tower when it was released, and that did not disappoint either.

I still have RE4 to play through, so I'll reserve judgement on that one.

Did anyone play Juggernaut for PS1? I thought that was interesting as well, although it was more slower paced. It didn't really have any "lose the contents of your bladder" moments, but it was an interesting entry for the genre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just played through D and I liked it alot. It would have been creepier if I had played it at night. Some of the puzzles in the game are kinda tough. It put my mind to work. I also played some of Code Veronica and it wasn't to bad. Next on my list are Eternal Darkness.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Silent Hill for me definately. I really like Resident Evil, but Silent Hill is just really disturbing and very detailed. I like Clock Tower as well. Scissorman is the coolest. Clock Tower 2 was bleh. Clock Tower 3 was so-so. The original on Super Famicom was fun too. Alone in the Dark was kind of up and down. D was just plain weird.

But hell, anything is better than Martian Gothic.
    "People compare this to the great chariot race scene in Ben-Hur. Yeah, they are like 'Ben-Hur was a great movie. This movie totally sucks.'"-Mystery Science Theater 3000/Episode:Space Mutiny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Scissorman
    But hell, anything is better than Martian Gothic.
    Even Cold Fear?

Oh, and UnInformer is right, Splatterhouse is a horror game..not a traditional 3D "survival horror" game but the name fits the description.

Hmm...my favorites so far are RE, Splatterhouse (not necessarily in that order?) and Dino Crisis.

I really haven't played as many of these titles as I'd like.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cold Fear was fun just because it had no underlying plot whatsoever. I wasn't really in the mood for a complex story, and it did well for mindless shooting. I found it hilarious that the main character didn't seemed fazed by the situation at hand. He didn't ask questions about the monsters or mutations at all. And the ending was cornball as hell.

"Farewell, papa."
    "Yeah! Farewell, papa!"

Martian Gothic is biblically horrific.
    "People compare this to the great chariot race scene in Ben-Hur. Yeah, they are like 'Ben-Hur was a great movie. This movie totally sucks.'"-Mystery Science Theater 3000/Episode:Space Mutiny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like Alone in the dark and Siren are getting dissed, has anyone ever beat Alone In The Dark? the controls are hard as hell in that game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I ended up getting a pretty good ways into Alone in the Dark: A New Nightmare. It can get pretty tough at times, but what game doesn't. I've never gotten to play any of the others yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

resident evil is pretty cool. but my nightmares will forever belong to the little lakeside town of silent hill. ahh, the memories...