Thread: Super Zaxxon - what's the trick to destroying them?

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Super Zaxxon - what's the trick to destroying them?

Seriously.

I've played this game on and off for years and I don't think I've ever blown up the Super Zaxxon Robot Dragons. I *might* have done it purely by accident on the 8-bit Atari port a million years ago, but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyhoo, where are our Super Zaxxon experts, and what's your strategy?

My vague recollection is that you want to shoot them down before they launch the fireball, but I can only score about 3-4 hits (I'm guessing that when the robot recoils and shakes a bit that's a "hit") before the fireball is... fired.

I don't have much of a problem getting to the dragons, I just can't figure out what I'm supposed to be hitting on them. Or how many times, or if the launch of the fireball even has anything to do with anything.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you've got to shoot it in the mouth. It's been a while, but I think you have to blow up it's missile before it launces from it's mouth to actually kill it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What racoon lad said. That or really hit them where it hurts. Discuss their shortcomings openly. Dig deep into their past family issues. Don't relent. Really dredge up old memories, then they'll destroy themselves and before you know it, it'll all be just a dream.

With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

Quote Originally Posted by Raccoon Lad
    you've got to shoot it in the mouth. It's been a while, but I think you have to blow up it's missile before it launces from it's mouth to actually kill it.
    BINGO! I killed it a couple of times "back in the day" by timing my shot so that I hit the dragon in the mouth right as a missile was coming out.

I love that game.

Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welp, that's what I've been doing lo these many years (shooting the robots in the mouth / missile) with no luck. I'm drawing the conclusion that I suck at blasting giant purple, green and red robotic dragons.

Is it best to stay in one place while shooting, or do you recommend moving around to keep the dragon's target area in your sights? I'm always able to hit them 3-4 times (judging by their shaking when struck) but eventually the missile launches and they run away with their robotic dragon tails between their robotic dragon legs.

I really, really want to a'splode these dragons.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.